Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mount & Blade

Franchise »

Mount & Blade games are Turkish-made "Medieval Simulators", focusing on realistic small scale battles where every person acts independently.

Steam Franchise sale, awesome games at low prices.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Steam is currently having a sale on all the Mount & Blade games (With the exception of the new Multiplayer only, Musket expansion for Warband) The games are wicked cheap and i've put hundreds of hours into the series, you really should pick them up and try them out. If you like melee combat that feels good, a gigantic open world with plenty of stuff to do, 64-120 player castle sieges, tons of mods for everything from world war 2 combat, to horde mode, and deep RPG mechanics, this is the game for you.

I recommend Mount and Blade:Warband as it's the best in the series and built heavily on the first game. if you find you love that it's worth going for Fire and the Sword as that does some different things (Post-Medieval setting, more of a story focus.) with the mechanics. All the games run like a dream on pretty much anything you got.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Stop advertising that silly game you love so dearly, fiend!

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jrinswand

I tried really hard to like Mount and Blade, but I just couldn't do it. People say that the combat "feels great," but I think that to say it is unresponsive would be putting it mildly. The single-player campaign and quests are also freaking miserable. I put about 10 hours into the game, so you can't say that I didn't give it a fair shake.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikemcn

@AhmadMetallic said:

Stop advertising that silly game you love so dearly, fiend!

Hey, you passionately enjoyed Postal 3 (For some reason). It's only fair that i get to support a game I like! SO there!

@Jrinswand said:

I tried really hard to like Mount and Blade, but I just couldn't do it. People say that the combat "feels great," but I think that to say it is unresponsive would be putting it mildly. The single-player campaign and quests are also freaking miserable. I put about 10 hours into the game, so you can't say that I didn't give it a fair shake.

I think its singleplayer does melee better than Skyrim, and it's multiplayer with manual blocking and a variety of weapons has deeper combat than any fighting game, you aren't memorizing combos or trying to get that cinematic kill, you're placing every swing, sword duels in multiplayer are fantastic. At the very least i don't see it as "unresponsive" you click the button, your sword swings or your bow shoots.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GuyIncognito

I put a lot of hours into Warband and multiplayer. Great games.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By largo6661

@Mikemcn: thank you i just picked them up

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

@Mikemcn said:

@Jrinswand said:

I think its singleplayer does melee better than Skyrim, and it's multiplayer with manual blocking and a variety of weapons has deeper combat than any fighting game, you aren't memorizing combos or trying to get that cinematic kill, you're placing every swing, sword duels in multiplayer are fantastic. At the very least i don't see it as "unresponsive" you click the button, your sword swings or your bow shoots.

Tbf the combat is easily the best melee combat in a game ever. You tell your character to aim your sword, and he'll aim it there. It's as responsive as it gets, unless you're doing it wrong? I dunno. But I wish all 3rd person games with swords had Mount and Blade's combat.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GuyIncognito

@AlexW00d said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Jrinswand said:

Tbf the combat is easily the best melee combat in a game ever. You tell your character to aim your sword, and he'll aim it there. It's as responsive as it gets, unless you're doing it wrong? I dunno. But I wish all 3rd person games with swords had Mount and Blade's combat.

Swing speed depends on your character stats so at first it can feel sluggish.

After specializing in a weapon type you can whack enemy a.i. in the head by the thousands. ...also horse archery is extremely fun (with a character with proper stats).

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Mikemcn: @AlexW00d: Maybe "unresponsive" isn't the word. I think what I meant to say is that the learning curve is astronomically high, which makes figuring out how to use the weapons properly a bit of a chore. Yeah, you could argue that it's a skill-based thing, but I argue that it's a poorly-developed combat system.
    GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GuyIncognito

@Jrinswand said:

but I argue that it's a poorly-developed combat system.

You claim to argue but I'm not seeing an argument, just a mere statement.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum
    @Jrinswand said:
    Yeah it's not for everyone that's for sure, but once you get the timing right the combat is awesome, I would suggest  you try out some mods but I guess if you put 10 hours into it already nothing will change the fact that you don't like it I think., I freaking love the damn thing though.
    Avatar image for matthewthebeast
    MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By MatthewTheBeast

@onarum said:

@Jrinswand said:
    Yeah it's not for everyone that's for sure, but once you get the timing right the combat is awesome, I would suggest you try out some mods but I guess if you put 10 hours into it already nothing will change the fact that you don't like it I think., I freaking love the damn thing though.

+1

If you do plan to put some time into getting good at melee, try vanilla multiplayer or CRPG mod(persistent character) since most other multiplayer mods have slightly different variations on the melee, i.e. Mount&Musket or Vikring.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jrinswand
    @GuyIncognito: Okay, then I state that the combat system is poorly-developed. 

I don't know. You can really tell that the developers tried their hardest to give the combat system some degree of authenticity or reality, but when it comes down to it, there are only so many things you can with a keyboard and mouse. Therefore, timing and careful aim become the most important components of combat and if you can't get one of those down perfectly then you're screwed.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subjugation

I can safely say that Warband has a special place in my heart. There aren't many games that I can recommend to people without reservation, but this is one. I mean ... Vikings ...

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Gah, I still need to play WFaS. I own it, I just never got further than a few hours into it.

Either way, people need to buy these fucking games. They are so good, but very dense at times and almost seem akin to grindfests for the first few hours (in reality, it kind of is). But once you get trade systems and sieges down, the game is so much fucking fun.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mikemcn

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Gah, I still need to play WFaS. I own it, I just never got further than a few hours into it.

Either way, people need to buy these fucking games. They are so good, but very dense at times and almost seem akin to grindfests for the first few hours (in reality, it kind of is). But once you get trade systems and sieges down, the game is so much fucking fun.

I think WFaS was started a little bit before Warband was released or something, it does some things better than Warband, and other things a bit worse, it's a strange game, but I enjoyed my time with it. There is a grind at the start, particularly in WFaS, but once it picks up it's fantastic.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

I really need to start putting money into my paypal in advance... or get a credit card.

I'm a sad panda.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

To anyone who is interested: Just get Warband. It offers a lot of the same stuff as the original but also has multiplayer and such. With Fire and Sword isn't quite as good and also has muskets, which are pretty much one hit kills and are more than a little unfair when you consider that your guy dying pretty much ensures that your army is going to lose.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mandude

I'm...too...weak...

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikemcn

@mandude said:

I'm...too...weak...

Oh, just give in it's great fun!!!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60

@Mikemcn said:

@mandude said:

I'm...too...weak...

Is the multiplayer still active?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikemcn

@CL60 said:

@Mikemcn said:

@mandude said:

I'm...too...weak...

There's a ton of servers still, alot of them are in Europe, but I have a few East Coast US ones that are regularly attended. My favorite server is an 80 player siege server that I have trouble getting into some nights because its so packed.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CL60

@Mikemcn said:

@CL60 said:

@Mikemcn said:

@mandude said:

I'm...too...weak...

There's a ton of servers still, alot of them are in Europe, but I have a few East Coast US ones that are regularly attended. My favorite server is an 80 player siege server that I have trouble getting into some nights because its so packed.

Any recommended mods for multiplayer? I know of the RPG mod, but I haven't looked into it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

WHERE IS LEVIO91 WHEN YOU NEED HIM TO PUSH THE NEWS OUT ABOUT THIS MOUNT & BLADE SALE?

Man, those were the days...when everyone hated Mount & Blade but Levio91 and we constantly ragged on him about it.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Grimhild

Bringing this thread up again, since you can get all of the M&B iterations for $8.74 on Steam for the next two days. If you've been meaning to get it, here's another chance. It's probably the closest you'll get to being a unit on the battlefield in Medieval: Total War... with stats and character progression! It's not the prettiest, but the battles get epic, especially deeper in the game when you have a long-standing rivalry with the opposing lord on the battlefield. It's a pretty great feeling to see them amongst the huge battle going on and personally riding them down.

Great niche game that literally started as a husband and wife project.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mandude

Buy. This. Game. Everyone.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikemcn

@mandude said:

Buy. This. Game. Everyone.

DO IT, its serious fun, i just played 3 more hours of the napoleonic wars multiplayer, great fun, I've put 200+ hours into warbands multiplayer now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.