Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MUD

Concept »

MUDs, or "Multi-User Dungeons", are online text adventure games which support multiple users in a persistent virtual world. Often including gameplay elements from role-playing games and hack-n-slash games, MUDs were the predecessors to today's modern MMORPG, and pioneered many of the concepts that are utilized in online gaming today.

Children's/YA novel about a kid getting powers from a MUD?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

When I was in maybe 4th grade, I read some cheesy book about a kid who played a MUD and then got superpowers. Specifically, the power to burn or melt stuff by looking at it. Does anyone know what this book was called? I think the title had something to do with "melting guy" or "burning eyes" or something. The only other thing I (vaguely) remember about it was that I believe the cover had a picture of a guy with his back towards the reader, but looking over his shoulder and pulling down his sunglasses to reveal glowing red eyes. There may have also been a castle or tower on the cover, too.

If it's any help, I think I read it somewhere between '94 and '98.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BBAlpert

!!!!!!!!

I found it! I found it!!!! Holy shit!

It was "Meltdown Man", in the "Cyber Zone" series!

Just LOOK at this cool 1997-ass motherfucker!
    Just LOOK at this cool 1997-ass motherfucker!

God bless you, OCLC WorldCat!

This was the search that finally cracked the case: http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3Amelt*&fq=yr%3A1990..1997+%3E+%3E+mt%3Afic&qt=advanced&dblist=638

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

No, I have never heard of that book, but I just wanted to post in this thread to reminisce about how many hours I ran around MUD's wondering if people in rooms were NPC's or real people.

tobiasvl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By tobiasvl

Sorry for the necro, but someone is looking for the same book over at Stack Exchange: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/153609/identify-a-fantasy-novel-about-a-boy-who-gains-powers-from-his-mud-character

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobiasvl said:

Sorry for the necro, but someone is looking for the same book over at Stack Exchange: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/153609/identify-a-fantasy-novel-about-a-boy-who-gains-powers-from-his-mud-character

Well that's reassuring to know that I didn't just imagine the whole thing, haha! Also, I like how someone on THAT thread links to THIS one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.