Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

Concept »

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) is a sub-genre of the Real-Time Strategy genre. The gameplay is characterized by single unit hero strategic combat between two small teams of players, each trying to destroy the opponent's base.

Have you ever spent money on a MOBA?

• 66 results
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Poll Have you ever spent money on a MOBA? (220 votes)

Yes - I've bought characters, cosmetic items, or both. 63%
    No - I play or have played MOBAs but strictly on a Free to Play basis 23%
    I've never played a MOBA. 15%

With more people getting into MOBAs lately thanks mainly to Heroes of the Storm, I'm wondering how many of you have spent money on these things? I've only played a little bit of HoTS and it hasn't fully got it's hooks in me yet, but I'm trying to keep that a strictly free to play game and not spend any money on it. By the looks of how the different daily quests and gold rewards are structured, it probably shouldn't be too hard to do.

What about you? Are you more towards my end of the spectrum, or do your MOBA spending habits make Brad's pale in comparison?

• 
    LocalOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Back when I played League of Legends I was only ever a very casual player but I think I spent something like $10 on the Riot funny money for a skin or two. I figured it was more or less like a tip jar.

I might get a skin or two for Heroes of the Storm, but I think I'll wait until I've generated some dough on my Paypal account to pay for it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've sunk a fair bit of money into Dota and League, 95% cosmetics but i picked up a few LoL champs on sale. About 10 bucks into hots.

If you are gonna spend a few thousand hours with something, might as well give some back.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not a MOBA, but I did give Marvel Heroes 2015 $10 since I've played over 600 hours I thought I should at least kicked them a few bucks.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By wchigo

My experience with MOBAs goes as far back as to the WC3 mod, but unfortunately it's always been a bit too much for me to get into, mainly in regards to the shop and items. Therefore, my time spent with any one MOBA has been extremely limited.

Played a bit of LoL and Dota 2 but not a lot. Heroes might be one I end up getting deepest into since it seems the most streamlined up front, but that depends on the amount of free time I have to spend on it, which isn't much at this point. Generally though, I've never really spent much money on F2P games as none of them have really held my attention long enough for me to really feel like it's worth it to put any money in.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably around $300~ on Dota 2 over the last three years.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought the Rick & Morty announcer pack for Dota 2 yesterday.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My MOBA experience starts and stops with various Warcraft III mods so I haven't spend any money on F2P mechanics.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Yuuuuuuup, I bought the god pack in SMITE and god only knows how much I've spent on DotA2. Considering I've put hundreds of hours into SMITE and almost 3000 hours into DotA, I'd say I got my money's worth.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dezztroy

Yes, but not on characters or cosmetics. I bought Heroes of Newerth back in the day.

e: Actually, I did buy the Stanley Parable announcer for Dota 2, also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought the kaiju skin for Diablo in HoTS, don’t think I’ll spend any more.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Played over 100 hours of League (why did I do this to myself) and never spent a penny.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put yes because I bought a boxed copy of HotS

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have spent like 50$ on dota 2 since its beta.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think I've ever even played a MOBA, unless you count Awesomenauts. (And iirc there wasn't anything to spend money on beyond the base game)

Assuming I did play MOBAs, I would definitely try to spend as little as possible, if nothing at all. If I genuinely love the game enough I might purchase a pack of whatever they're selling just to support it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Spent like less than a dollar on cosmetics for one of the first characters I learned in DOTA2.

Other than that, I just bought the RICK & MORTY announcer pack... I barely play DOTA but I just had to.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent 2000 hours playing Dota and watched countless hours of professional stuff, so yeah I've given Valve and the content creators some money back, seems like it'd be a dick move not to to be honest.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Team Fortress 2 count?
    I really should buy a skin or two in LoL, I have played way too much of that game without spending a dollar so far.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

I've spent 2000 hours playing Dota and watched countless hours of professional stuff, so yeah I've given Valve and the content creators some money back, seems like it'd be a dick move not to to be honest.

This is exactly why I dont have a problem throwing TI 10$ every year, they have never asked me for money for anything that is critical to the game.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not characters or cosmetics, but I bought the LoTR MOBA. Does that count?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

This is exactly why I dont have a problem throwing TI 10$ every year, they have never asked me for money for anything that is critical to the game.

Exactly. I don't even care about the cosmetics I get from it, I just like supporting.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent about 10 bucks total when I played LoL on a holiday skin for one of my favourite champs. The only other time I got skins was with gift cards from friends.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK MOBAS! Naw I'm kidding but really though I don't get them at all. Its like someone took the RTS genre and ripped out all the good stuff.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I might have put down about $50 on LoL skins back when.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK MOBAS! Naw I'm kidding but really though I don't get them at all. Its like someone took the RTS genre and ripped out all the good stuff.

This totally isnt the thread for this discussion but since you brought it up. The mistake is thinking of them as RTS games in the first place they really share very little with games like C&C and SC.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played Heroes of the Storm since the Beta so i felt i should pay something for the effort Blizzard put into it.

Spent $60 on Hero bundles and skins. In a couple months if i'm still playing the game a lot i'll drop in another $60.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, far too much.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much, but if I play a free to play game and I'm enjoying myself, I spend some money. I spent some on LOL and Smite.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No, I played maybe 10 or so hours of DOTA 2 and am now dabbling with Heroes of the Storm and I feel no desire to spend any money on it.

Never really spend money on a free to play game anyway, even though I played a few, the only exception being Hearthstone were I maybe invested 15 bucks or so.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Devil240Z

@dizzyhippos said:
    @devil240z said:

This totally isnt the thread for this discussion but since you brought it up. The mistake is thinking of them as RTS games in the first place they really share very little with games like C&C and SC.

They basically control like an RTS game though right? DOTA is literally based on a user created map from warcraft? I think my position is pretty easy to hold.

I honestly liked those kinds of maps in warcraft 3 and starcraft but spun out into its own game it doesn't hold up.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I bought Awesomenauts, so yeah I've spent money on a MOBA. Awesomenauts did have a few costumes and after spending a lot of time with the game I bought 2 for my favorite characters. Just felt like giving a little extra back y'know?

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I've bought a bunch of random DOTA hats. $128 worth, according to steam.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Painkiller80

I have been playing dota for 4 years. and steam is telling me I am over 1k on dota hats.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday. I played League on and off for about 2 years with a serious patch of 6-9 months everynight with one of my best friends for around 300-400 hours. I sunk around $100-150 on the game and do not regret a single cent of that money. Like some of the people before me have said, I figure that even though it is free, for the amount of enjoyment I have taken from the product (playing, watching RIOT productions, watching streamers/youtubers) they deserve a bit of money; and if it gets me a nice snazzy Arclight skin on my Syndra, then all the better for it!

Seriously though, I always rationalise these things in terms of other purchases. In Australia, a pint of beer sets you back $6-9 depending on type/location etc (average of $7.50). A pint would last me (at a stretch) fifteen minutes. Extrapolated, that is $30/h of beer enjoyment. Although they are not directly comparable, I would have payed upwards of $12000-15000 beer dollars on League. Seeing how much lasting enjoyment I get from putting a twenty into Riot every other month makes it much more ok. Also, this is a great way to logically rationalise short games. 5 hour game bought at full price ($60-70) = $12-14/h which is still far cheaper then beer.

Kalor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've bought a couple of items in Dota but nothing expensive. Maybe £12 in total over the course of three years.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Relkin

Forty or fifty bucks on cosmetics in Dota. It's very unlikely I'll ever put in more; I feel like I've done my share in supporting it.

Still can't stand the term MOBA even after years of it being in use. Isn't EVERY online multiplayer game a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena? Call of Duty is a MOBA. Starcraft is a MOBA. Uno is a MOBA.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have spend money. And I think there should of been a distinction between paying for cosmetics and paying for characters.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Nime

I think I've spent like $100 on Dota items. Considering the amount of time I've put into that game that still seems cheap for what I've gotten out of it. I never felt like I needed to spend money which I appreciated; anything I spent was wholly optional and I think I played for a year before spending anything.

Oh and I also bought HoN before it was free to play but never spent any other money on it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent $15 on Vainglory on android. Great game, recommend it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure I've spent over $100 on Dota 2 at this point between random cosmetic sets and the various compendiums from The International. I don't regret it because that game has given me several hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Christoffer

I bought my way into both the Dota 2 beta and the HotS beta. A completely needless expense I should say, but I didn't have 2 minutes to search forums for beta keys, apparently. I've spent many hundreds hours in both games so it's not a huge deal in the end.

Other than that, not much. If I get enough spare change on steam from selling on the markeplace I can buy a chest or two.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

A hundred bucks maybe on Dota 2. Got around 2000 hours played so, pretty nice

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Yes I've spent money on the game I haven't stopped playing in 8 months. For a while I took advantage of every hero sale for any hero I didn't have and as a result I've managed to collect them all a few months ago. Now my gold goes straight to new heroes and, what's more, I've had enough gold to buy the last few straight up. I'm happy about that.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#44 sweep  Moderator

I think I've spent about £250 on dota announcers, chests, tournament tickets, hats and items.

It sounds like a lot, but I've been playing for about 5 years, so on average around £50 a year. Which is actually pretty good value when you consider I've clocked over 3,300 hours in the game.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Just Awesomenauts which isn't a typical MOBA. I love playing with my two young sons though because we can play 3 v 3 against bots. Just paid 9 bucks for the expansion, which is great (5 new characters.)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam says I have played 53 hours of DotA2. I did that to test in-game translations during the beta and also because I wanted to give mobas a shot. Turns out they were not for me.
    I have never spent any money on any moba.

Come to think of it, I also have not spent a single cent on CSGO or TF2 (outside of the Orange Box asking price). Which is more impressive because I've played TF2 for about 2000 hours.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't, but never got into one heavily enough so i would never discount the possibility.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Yeah, Smite has the Founder's Pack which gives you every god that will ever be released for $30. I bought that.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent WAY too much money on league back when I was into it.

Pirsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a skin or two in league, maybe a stim, spent probably less than $20 total. Eventually I switched to dota2 and I've bought and bet those items. Also compendium for internationals, but never one for any of the other tournaments. Probably between $30 and $50 spent total, much of it steam wallet money from selling cards, dota items, etc. And if you're good at the betting you put in a few items to start and then kind of never have to put anything in again because you just keep making new bets with old winnings. I've been playing a fair amount of heroes lately but haven't given them any money yet. I think that they've made their price points just a bit too high, which was the same reason I never bought a pet or mount in my six years of WoW. I could see myself eventually giving in for a skin or two though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.