Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

Concept »

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) is a sub-genre of the Real-Time Strategy genre. The gameplay is characterized by single unit hero strategic combat between two small teams of players, each trying to destroy the opponent's base.

Single player MOBAs?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By BBAlpert

First, I know the MO stands for Multiplayer Online, so I guess what I'm looking for is Single player Offline (SOBA?) games.

Are there any MOBA style games that play decently solo? I like just playing a match like a super abridged playthrough of Diablo, without worrying about how I'm assuredly letting my team down.

I feel like I was one of the few people that liked Demigod, largely because it had a ton of options for setting up single player matches (which is good because supposedly the online was terrible). You could specify how many bots were on each team, how fast you gained money/XP, how strong towers/minions were, what map you played on, etc.

I recently tried out Heroes of the Storm, and while it's pretty fun, there are practically no controllable settings for bot matches. You can play on a random map against 5 bots, either with 4 bot teammates or with 4 human players.

Do you all know of any other games like Demigod, or should I just suck it up and get over my hangups about playing online?

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

If you pick custom game in Heroes of the Storm you can pick the map and what ever AI strengths of the enemy and ally bots. You don't get any XP playing this way though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The big 3 all have the option to play with bots.

But the game choices first really go beyond difficulty, number of players /bots and who your opponents/teammates are

NmareBfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's hard to say for certain but the mod support in Dota is likely to lead to some decent single player stuff at some point. Right now there are maybe or or two horde mode things and that's about it, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a bit of a mod explosion when it comes out of beta (which will be... eventually, Valve time.)

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

If you pick custom game in Heroes of the Storm you can pick the map and what ever AI strengths of the enemy and ally bots. You don't get any XP playing this way though.

Oh cool, I didn't even notice that menu option. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.