Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Multiplayer Party System

Concept »

An online multiplayer grouping system that allows players to join a party and "travel" from match to match together automatically.

Gears of War2's Matchmaking SUCKS

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

No, I am dead serious.

• Me and my team matched up with each other WITHOUT AN ENEMY TEAM. Yeah, you just read that. We all got a free victory, but it's still very screwed up.
    • After finally getting into a match, the host leaves and the match ends.
    • It takes a bitch of a long time to get matched up.
    • After the amazing matchmaking that CoD4 has shown to the table, how come no game is copying it? People can enter matches in progress, people can leave without disrupting the match, and there was rarely any lag disruption at all. How come other games can't have the same thing?!

This is just four bullets of what makes the matchmaking in GeoW2 so abysmal. I really thought Halo3's matchmaking was bad, but GeoW2 takes the shit-and-piss cake. I know this is Epic's first temptation for matchmaking multiplayer, so I'll give them that. I hope that they improve in GeoW3 (which I bet will be made).

Oh, and another tidbit: The shotgun is still a dominant weapon compared to the Lancer. Stopping power doesn't stop players from blowing your body into gibes. The range of the shotgun is long enough to make you go down.

So really, I think Halo3 still takes the cake in console multiplayer action. Come on, devs! Show some passion in your games!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, I am dead serious.

• Me and my team matched up with each other WITHOUT AN ENEMY TEAM. Yeah, you just read that. We all got a free victory, but it's still very screwed up.
    • After finally getting into a match, the host leaves and the match ends.
    • It takes a bitch of a long time to get matched up.
    • After the amazing matchmaking that CoD4 has shown to the table, how come no game is copying it? People can enter matches in progress, people can leave without disrupting the match, and there was rarely any lag disruption at all. How come other games can't have the same thing?!

This is just four bullets of what makes the matchmaking in GeoW2 so abysmal. I really thought Halo3's matchmaking was bad, but GeoW2 takes the shit-and-piss cake. I know this is Epic's first temptation for matchmaking multiplayer, so I'll give them that. I hope that they improve in GeoW3 (which I bet will be made).

Oh, and another tidbit: The shotgun is still a dominant weapon compared to the Lancer. Stopping power doesn't stop players from blowing your body into gibes. The range of the shotgun is long enough to make you go down.

So really, I think Halo3 still takes the cake in console multiplayer action. Come on, devs! Show some passion in your games!
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine

I hear there going to fix it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crunchUK

halo 3s matchmaking for the win absolutely and utterly

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlastProcessing

Matchmaking is Gears 2 is a disaster. But that's already been a shit load of times. But my biggest complaint is that your cant pick one specific mode to play (Like not being able to just play Warzone).

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yep, it's pretty god damn terrible.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gearhead

Bungie has their matchmaking down pat. But I disagree with you about how you said, "Put passion in your games." I find Gears 2 to be an amazing game, from the graphics, to the sound, to even the multiplayer when you get into a match. You can not blame them for server overload. I dare you to make a game as Gears of War 2, in less than two years, and not have any issues. It is irrating, but they are fixing it. Give them a break.
    Fin.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By gearhead

Bungie has their matchmaking down pat. But I disagree with you about how you said, "Put passion in your games." I find Gears 2 to be an amazing game, from the graphics, to the sound, to even the multiplayer when you get into a match. You can not blame them for server overload. I dare you to make a game as Gears of War 2, in less than two years, and not have any issues. It is irrating, but they are fixing it. Give them a break.
    Fin.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By DBoy

I don't really play with strangers online, so I wouldn't know how the matchmaking is, but I've heard that it ain't that good, and you're not the first person to mention it.

Torb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Torb

Dude, games are still chainsaw fests. The shotgun does not help. Sometimes you get lucky, but ultimately the lancer wins.
    As for your main topic, the matchmaking is embarassingly bad. The only way it works is with a fulll party. then it takes half a second

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By samcotts

Why one earth did they choose to add the matchmaking system anyway. A part from the host advantage, the first Gears multiplayer was perfect.

It actually really annoys me every time I think about how they ruined the multiplayer.
    Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Artie

"After finally getting into a match, the host leaves and the match ends."

In Gears 2 there is no single host for that reason, so what you just said is impossible.

And welcome to three weeks ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.