Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Multiple Endings

Concept »

Multiple endings is a term used to describe different outcomes or conclusions to a game based on the previous actions of the player.

When you can't cheese it with quick load, do you play the whole game again to see multiple endings, or do you go to YouTube?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BisonHero

I thought about this while playing Lone Survivor, since I know it has multiple endings, but it just strikes me as the sort of game where I have no interest in playing it a second time.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By smcn

If it's a good game I'll just replay it, cheesability or not. If it's not a good game I just don't care about seeing other endings.

EDIT: In some cases I won't ever see an ending because I can't get into a role where it makes sense to choose it. Mass Effect 3 for example where (post-extended cut) I had three different Shepards that fit character-wise into each ending so I just replayed the game with all of them. I still haven't come up with a way to role-play where the refusal ending makes sense so I still haven't see it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

@smcn said:

If it's a good game I'll just replay it, cheesability or not. If it's not a good game I just don't care about seeing other endings.

this

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheCreamFilling

If the ending depends on the difficulty played on, I will replay it. If it is just a choice, like Dues Ex: Human Revolution, I will attempt to load or just go to the YouTubes.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Youtube like a mofo. There are some rare cases where I'll play the entire game again, but 99% of the time I hit up Youtube.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ThePaleKing

I'll usually leave it for when I next play the game. I've had Silent Hill 2 for years and I've only see two of the endings, one when I first bought it and once when I finished again last year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If the game lends itself to replayability and I feel that I will get something out of it by playing again, then I'll replay. If the only difference is the type of ending, I'll hit up Youtube.

Avatar image for spicy_jasonator
    spicy_jasonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spicy_jasonator

Neither. I wouldn't replay a game just for an ending if I wasn't going to replay the game anyway, but I also find it harder to appreciate endings just watching them on youtube, because they don't feel earned. Having experienced a potentially different narrative than another play also makes something interesting to talk about.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By DjCmeP

I usually play through a game just once. I don't really care about the other endings, but if I want to see them then I go to Youtube.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ares42

Depends on the game, but most likely youtube. Thinking about it, most games I replay don't really have alternate endings as the games I tend to replay are games that focus on gameplay rather than story. The only one that comes to mind might be Infamous 2, but I can't really remember if I got around to doing a second playthrough of it.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By MetalBaofu

If I care enough about the game to see other endings, then I play it myself, if not, then I never see the other endings. Can't think of any time I've watched endings on youtube.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BisonHero
    @Vampir

Neither. I wouldn't replay a game just for an ending if I wasn't going to replay the game anyway, but I also find it harder to appreciate endings just watching them on youtube, because they don't feel earned. Having experienced a potentially different narrative than another play also makes something interesting to talk about.

That can be interesting in a game like Bastion or Mark of the Ninja, where you're given a choice between two endings that give considerably different resolutions and meanings to the preceding narrative.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86

I usually don't even go to Youtube.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Milkman

YouTube and a lot of the time, I can't even be bothered to do that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

It depends on whether or not cheevos are on the line. I played though Darksiders 1 two-and-a-half more times than I really wanted to because some of the storyline achievements messed up and I didn't have a save to go back to.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By haffy

I don't bother with either. Most multiple endings are so similar.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deathstriker666

Usually if it's a popular enough game there'll be some wiki or something to read alternative endings/ways to solve a quest. A lot of the Let's Play's don't offer the specific details I'm looking for so Youtube is not always a reliable source of information. I replay games because I enjoy playing the game and it's well made. I don't want to go and grind just to find all the different choices you can make in a game. That's just boring and a waste of my time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#19  Edited By StarvingGamer

If it's worth replaying then I'll replay it, otherwise I'll just be happy with the ending I got.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Depends on the game really.

999, for example, gave you a completely different experience for each playthrough, so it was worth it to play through it all more than once.

Some games are the exact same thing though, with a different cut scene at the end. If that's the case then i'll usually look up the ending.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrankieSpankie

I think I can count the number of games I've beaten more than once with my fingers. I go straight to YouTube, the game has to be absolutely amazing in order for me to play through it again and even then, I won't replay through it until at least a year later regardless. I just have so many damn games that I know I'll never finish them, but I won't go through and replay single player games for that reason. Unless, of course, it's a game like Deus Ex or Half-Life and is absolutely amazing.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadyPingu

Sometimes, if the alternate endings include not just a cutscene but a different mission, like Saint's Row the Third, then I'll at least play that mission. But if it's the same except for one cutscene, Youtube.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By MildMolasses

Neither. The only reason I would care about the other ending(s) would be if their are achievements for seeing them. If not, I will gladly stand by whatever ending I see first

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.