Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Murder by Numbers

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 05, 2020

Murder mystery visual novel combined with Picross gameplay. From the creator of Hatoful Boyfriend and the composer of Phoenix Wright.

PSA: This game exists.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1 SpunkyHePanda  Online

It's Ace Attorney meets Picross. Go buy it. (It's also on Switch.)

If you need more convincing for some reason, I've finished one of the four cases, and I'm loving the heck out of it. You might expect the story to be some thin framework to serve up Picross puzzles, but the narrative is definitely the main draw here. Excellent writing, excellent art, excellent music, and some pretty standard Picross (which is excellent). The first case took something like 2-3 hours, and I expect they'll only get more complex from here. Looks like there are something like 80 unlockable puzzles in addition to the ones you'll encounter in the story. It's a heck of a value for the price; pick it up so this can become a series.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

This looks so good, I hope we get a quick look.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It's very hard to not describe this as Ace Attorney with Picross.

I've played a few hours, and it seems pretty solid. Nice writing, music, and artwork hold together the case solving side. The puzzles are more or less what you'd expect.

The scanning for evidence is the only aspect that seems a little iffy to me. For those that haven't seen it, you go into a scan mode with your floating robot buddy, SCOUT, and you move the cursor around the room until it turns red - you then solve a puzzle to gain a piece of evidence. The main thing I don't like about it is that I'm often just pixel hunting for a random empty spot on the floor where it then tells me after the puzzle that there was an ID card sitting there or something.

I'd certainly recommend any fans of picross and/or adventure games checking it out.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The heads-up is much appreciated. I've been relaxing my policy of "no digital games" on the 3DS and Switch and this looks like a perfect addition to my Switch library.

I'm not much of a picross fan but in the context of this Ace Attorney style adventure I think I will enjoy it much more.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The picross in this decent. The first few puzzles are baby puzzles but you get to the larger ones quickly, and the controls are fine (should be a given but it's definitely possible to screw this up), particularly that you can "click & drag" without overwriting other marks.

I sorta wish there was a timer (but understand why they didn't put one in). As others mentioned, the story is actually somewhat engaging. Though I found some of the dialogue to be a little cringey there's enough humor there. The art is great (if you like the style)!

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Having fun with this so far. Unfortunately I JUST played Phoenix Wright 2 and a Picross game shortly before that because I didn't remember this game was coming out. So, feeling a little burnt out on it. I do like how it mixes up the difficulty of the puzzles rather than a straight progression. I'm not totally grabbed by the narrative but maybe that will change.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's certainly Picross x Phoenix Wright and whilst I find the detective stuff very slight and the environment scanning seems kind of half baked the actual writing is decent, the vibe is good and the Picross is very solid with a lot of assists available for people in it for the stories. The puzzles increase in difficulty at a nice rate so as that you aren't stuck on small grids for too long.

I hear its 20 - 25hrs long so for £10 its a steal

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It totally doesn't stick the landing with the story. I'm so bummed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.