Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

National Basketball Association

Concept »

The NBA is North America's highest level of professional basketball.

NBA Trade Deadline talk

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm sure a few of you know that the NBA trade deadline is this Thursday. General Managers are always going crazy this time of year, and this year is no exception.  

Carmelo Anthony was already traded to the Knicks as of last night. Chauncy Billups went with him as well as a couple of other players. The Nuggets got back a slew of good talent, some draft picks, and millions in cash money. New York may have Carmelo, but I think Denver came out slightly ahead all things considered. 

As for my team, the Portland trail Blazers, they haven't made a move yet. It's heavily rumored that they may go after Devin Harris from New Jersey. That would give us a nice young point guard that could hopefully keep us steady at that position for years to come. 

Any thoughts on the big Carmelo deal, or rumored deals around the league? I know there aren't a ton of NBA fans here, but the trade deadline is always exciting to speculate about.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

National Baby Abortion?

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By fodigga

I think the Knicks may have gotten worse by trading for Carmelo. They traded at least 3 starters for him and Chauncey Billups, a point guard that is old and not even as good as who you had.
    I just hope the Celtics do something reasonable to get a backup small forward.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Chabbs0 said:
    " National Baby Abortion? "
    ...No. 

@thebroken said:
    " I think the Knicks may have gotten worse by trading for Carmelo. They traded at least 3 starters for him and Chauncey Billups, a point guard that is old and not even as good as who you had. I just hope the Celtics do something reasonable to get a backup small forward. "
    Yeah, I agree. Felton, Gallinari, and Chandler were huge losses. The Knicks were doing well this season too, for the first time in a long time. It's crazy that they blew that all up.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By blueduck

I really try hard to like the NBA but it just seems like the same teams are good every year.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

the Knicks seem to be going for relative sucess but this might hurt them in the long run. they salary cap is going to be low and wont be able to sign a free agent in 2012.  their bench players need to set up. 

their bench is diminshed but next season they might be able to make a run if they can get someone like marc gasol or anthony parker. 

its crazy that the NBA is building teams witha big 3  rather than one superstar with role players.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MisterMouse

I have been waiting forever for Carmelo to be traded, was getting kind of sick of all of the trade talk with him. Now that he is in New York, I dont know, I dont really place new york higher than where they are currently. They lost more than half of their scoring for some solid players but the entire dynamic of that team has changed. And what about the Nuggets as a franchise, where do they go from here, who do they rally behind? no one until the draft...  
    Other than that big move I dont feel like there is going to be to mcuh shuffling around, I would like to see the lakers do something but I dont see it happening and I feel the clippers need to do something if they want to really make a playoff push.    

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Liono88

I think the Knicks did well by getting Melo because having Melo, Stoudemire, Billups as your one, two and three scoring options sounds awesome.As for their defense, they probably wont be much good but with those three as your scorers they should score plenty more than most of their opponents. As for the Nuggets they did well by getting a "slew of players" as you said. Only the future will "show" how good the trade the nuggets was, but right now the trade looks a decent one.

Your a Trial Blazers Fan???? Pretty cool you like an up and up young team rather than a squad a veterans. Bulls, Trial Blazers, Thunder all have an outstanding  young play makers and scorers. Those teams will definitely be in title picture as long as their stars don't move.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By lead_farmer

I would agree that Denver did a pretty good job of getting some good young players.  For a long time it seemed like Gallinari and Mozgov would be part of the Knicks future so I didn't think they would give those guys up.  But there are very few scorers like Anthony and with Stoudemire and Fields they have a solid foundation for the future. Billups won't be around for too long but he's good.

Haven't heard any trade rumors regarding the Warriors, which I'm good with because I would like to see what they can build from the draft. God, that team is not deep.

@JJWeatherman: Who would Portland have to give up in order to get Harris?  I feel like Batum would almost have to be part of the trade since he is young and plays some defense.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fodigga
    @slightconfuse:  It has been proven in recent years that you just can't win a championship with one superstar and a slew of role players. Just look at the Celtics, Lakers, and even the Spurs of way back when.
     They all had multiple players who were at the top of the game.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @lead_farmer said:

@JJWeatherman: Who would Portland have to give up in order to get Harris?  I feel like Batum would almost have to be part of the trade since he is young and plays some defense. "

From my point of view in Portland, we aint giving up Batum. He's universally loved by fans and management. I suppose it could happen if the deal was exactly right, but highly unlikely. 

Right now it looks like Andre Miller and Joel Przybilla for Devin Harris and Troy Murphy. That trade wouldn't work out exactly, and a few more players would have to be moved to match salary, but those are the rumored main pieces.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @thebroken:  this trade did not benfit the philosphy the kicks seemd to be going for, they looked to be buikding around Amere with role players(felton,gallinari,chandler) and now they lost most of that. Billips and Brewer are good pick-ups but i can't help but feell they jumped the gun a bit. they waited 2 years not to get Lebron so they did not want to be burned again come 2012 when paul,howard are free agents.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman

Damn. Apparently New Jersey has officially traded Devin Harris and Derek Favors to Utah for Deron Williams. This is crazy. I think Utah's going to fall apart without Sloan and now without Williams. 

That ruined Portland's chances of getting Harris. *sigh*

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By JCTango

The James Johnson deal that the Raptors made with Chicago wasn't too bad.

As long as they don't trade away Barbosa, Bargnani, and De Rozan in the near future, I won't complain :D.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlightConfuse

Baron davis to the cavaliers for mo williams and parker is not a bad trade at all. clippers need to start building and this will help them

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @slightconfuse said:
    " Baron davis to the cavaliers for mo williams and parker is not a bad trade at all. clippers need to start building and this will help them "
    Interesting. I think this was probably a good trade for both sides. Baron seemingly needed out of L.A. and damn ANYONE in Cleveland probably wants out of there.  :P
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By spankingaddict

I think new jersey got a good trade for D-Will. They just need to be smart and build the right team around him for the next 5 years. 

I don't care about the Nets, but i'm a big Deron Williams fan. I'm also interested about how New Yorks gonna do with Melo and Billups(hopefully fall apart ;)

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Nomin

My impressions on what had been a memorable few days: 

I liked James Johnson when he started for the Raptors last night. He seemed to bring a different level of energy and toughness to his game, well no surprise that he is black belt in Karate or something. Hopefully he stays to develop it further. I really hope Derozan and Bargnani can put up 20+ every night, all they need are stoppers and an anchor in the paint and the Raps have a chance. Next year. 
    Knicks gave up too much for Carmelo, funny that the Russian guy Mozgov was what initially held up the deal. BTW, did you hear his interview with the sideline reporter at the Denver game? Too funny.  The Knicks won last night, so a good start for Melo. The crowd started chanting Melo's name and it was kind of unnerving when you for a moment couldn't tell whether it was a cheer or jeer.
    I agree Utah is really changed forever, and that in manner of just a month. It will never be the same in Salt Lake City. Should've kept Sloan if they were to ship D-Will out in a matter of weeks.
    Mark Cuban again got pissed off at the Hornets dealin and wheelin with NBA money pot that he's contributed to. I think the Hornets are going to move in two years, hopefully back to Seattle, but I hope Sacramento stays where they are.
    D-Will apparently is pissed off that he's going to be part of the Brooklyn Nyets. Just imagine the sparks fly between him and Avery Johnson, lol.

Hate it that the players (often with the same agent) are conspiring with each other to sign with one big market team to create dynasties like in Boston and Miami. I heard a rumor that Melo, Amare, and CP3 toasted to playing for the Knicks at a wedding or something. If this trend were to continue, there will be cycle of mediocrity in smaller market clubs, no chance they will ever be able to lure any big name to appeal to diminishing fanbase. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @spankingaddict:  

I don't care about the Nets, but i'm a big Deron Williams fan.     

Same here. The Jazz are a division rival of my team, but somehow Deron pulled that team up in my mind. I couldn't hate them as long as he was on the roster. I hope he has some success in NJ. That new owner is crazy rich, so he'll probably be willing to spend a bit to get some good players around him. 

In other news, talks of Portland getting Gerald Wallace from the Bobcats has all but died. Too bad, he would have been nice to have. Now we're talking about picing up TJ Ford after Indiana buys him out. I couldn't think of a bigger "meh" player. Plus I'm not 100% sure his personality will fit in here. Apparently he's good friends with LaMarcus Aldridge though, so that could help.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spankingaddict
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @slightconfuse said:
    " Baron davis to the cavaliers for mo williams and parker is not a bad trade at all. clippers need to start building and this will help them "
    Interesting. I think this was probably a good trade for both sides. Baron seemingly needed out of L.A. and damn ANYONE in Cleveland probably wants out of there.  :P "
    I second this... Cleveland needs to start getting rid of Everyone and start over fresh except for Hickson. I'd love to see the clippers do something big in the future and take over L.A.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By JCTango
    @Nomin said:
    " My impressions on what had been a memorable few days:  I liked James Johnson when he started for the Raptors last night. He seemed to bring a different level of energy and toughness to his game, well no surprise that he is black belt in Karate or something. Hopefully he stays to develop it further. I really hope Derozan and Bargnani can put up 20+ every night, all they need are stoppers and an anchor in the paint and the Raps have a chance.

Hell yeah.. last night's game was pretty awesome.  DeRozan and Bargnani are two of my fav Raptors >:D.  Hope the management is able to keep them on board in future years to come.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SlightConfuse

With shaq and jermain out surprised. That boston traded perk and robinson. Jeff gren is a good back up but kristic o don't know about

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think the deadline's officially over guys. 

NEWS! 

Portland has traded Joel Pryzbilla, Dante Cunningham, and draft picks to the Bobcats for Gerald Wallace. As much as I'll miss Joel and Dante, this was a great trade. Especially considering the possibility of picking Joel back up if his contract is bought out. 

Rip City! 

-------- 

On other (less interesting :P) notes, Perkins from the Celtics goes to OKC for Jeff Green. That's a bit of a shock. 

I'm playing catch up on all the news. I'll post more when I know of everything. 

Updates: 

• Aaron Brooks to Phoenix for Goran Dragic.
    • Baron Davis to Cleveland for Mo Williams

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.