Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K11

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

2K's long-running basketball simulator is back for another season with Michael Jordan as their cover athlete.

LeBron James And The Changing NBA Multiplayer Dynamic

• 69 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

A new power triangle means new power rankings for NBA 2K11, as the Miami Heat are sure to slide up the boards with its oncoming free agent class starring Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and "King" LeBron James. But will users respond to the inevitable climb, too? I'm guessing they will, though, I could be wrong.

With a theory in mind, I asked NBA 2K representative Chris Snyder for information on NBA 2K10's most-used teams in multiplayer. He responded with some data that isn't helping me feel better about my suspicions.

The top five teams used in NBA 2K10's multiplayer are, in order, according to Snyder: the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Denver Nuggets, the Orlando Magic, and the Boston Celtics

Check out that leg!
     Check out that leg!

== TEASER ==The theory? It's simple: with its new trifecta of talent, the Miami Heat will become the dominant team picked in this year's version of the game. Unfortunately, with the game not yet out in press or consumers' hands, this is impossible to prove. I thought existing rankings would shed some light on the issue, but what Snyder shared with me doesn't actually make me feel confident in my theory.

Here are the two things I observed from the data, the latter of which has me scratching my head.

First: the Shaq-Lebron tandem in Cleveland was enough to push the Cavs over the edge, beating out even recent title holders like the Lakers. If Lebron had that much of an impact for Cleveland, a team with a bad supporting cast, surely he would push Miami, a team that made the top ten last year, over the edge in 2K11. 

Second: But wait! Interestingly, the Boston Celtics, a team with their own trifecta composed of NBA greats Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett placed fifth. It's a spot lower than even the Denver Nuggets, who don't have near the star power. Could this mean that there's a chance Miami won't place first and beat the obvious? Maybe.

Snyder reckons, like I do, that the Heat will move to number one on the list when 2K11 hits later this year, but he did add that free agency isn't over. Other teams, like the New York Knicks, might have some surprises up their sleeves. Regardless, the Celtics tell me that this isn't such a cut-and-dried thing, and the Heat, even with new star power, might not have that much of an impact.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

A new power triangle means new power rankings for NBA 2K11, as the Miami Heat are sure to slide up the boards with its oncoming free agent class starring Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, and "King" LeBron James. But will users respond to the inevitable climb, too? I'm guessing they will, though, I could be wrong.

With a theory in mind, I asked NBA 2K representative Chris Snyder for information on NBA 2K10's most-used teams in multiplayer. He responded with some data that isn't helping me feel better about my suspicions.

The top five teams used in NBA 2K10's multiplayer are, in order, according to Snyder: the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Denver Nuggets, the Orlando Magic, and the Boston Celtics

Check out that leg!
     Check out that leg!

== TEASER ==The theory? It's simple: with its new trifecta of talent, the Miami Heat will become the dominant team picked in this year's version of the game. Unfortunately, with the game not yet out in press or consumers' hands, this is impossible to prove. I thought existing rankings would shed some light on the issue, but what Snyder shared with me doesn't actually make me feel confident in my theory.

Here are the two things I observed from the data, the latter of which has me scratching my head.

First: the Shaq-Lebron tandem in Cleveland was enough to push the Cavs over the edge, beating out even recent title holders like the Lakers. If Lebron had that much of an impact for Cleveland, a team with a bad supporting cast, surely he would push Miami, a team that made the top ten last year, over the edge in 2K11. 

Second: But wait! Interestingly, the Boston Celtics, a team with their own trifecta composed of NBA greats Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett placed fifth. It's a spot lower than even the Denver Nuggets, who don't have near the star power. Could this mean that there's a chance Miami won't place first and beat the obvious? Maybe.

Snyder reckons, like I do, that the Heat will move to number one on the list when 2K11 hits later this year, but he did add that free agency isn't over. Other teams, like the New York Knicks, might have some surprises up their sleeves. Regardless, the Celtics tell me that this isn't such a cut-and-dried thing, and the Heat, even with new star power, might not have that much of an impact.
    6ZZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By 6ZZA

awesome

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'll still be playing as the Lakers. Actually, in my season in My Player mode, I absolutely squashed LeBron and the Cavs yesterday. I held them to just 5 points in the first quarter, and I play with 8 minute quarters. They were scoreless for like the first 5 or 6 minutes of the game. DE-FENSE!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

LeBron James looks really weird in that picture.  It's pretty creepy.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Ace829
    @CitizenKane said:
    " LeBron James looks really weird in that picture.  It's pretty creepy. "
    It's because he's not in a Cavs uniform anymore. =(
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane
    @Ace829 said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " LeBron James looks really weird in that picture.  It's pretty creepy. "
    It's because he's not in a Cavs uniform anymore. =( "
    As a Heat fan, I like the new uniform.  =)
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bhhawks78

NBA 2k series is basically the one video game where I dominate 90% of the time in multiplayer, bad at FPS/stategy/racing all that haha.  Problem with sports games in general is that you usually have no idea how good/bad someone is even by record (especially with glitch 2k games that will give you a loss when someone pulls their ethernet down 30...ugh).  So sure I like using the nets/grizzlies/other mediocre or bad teams but when someone else just wants to try and break the game with kobe/lebron/wade, if they are any good at exploiting that you need a decent team to fight back.

TJSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TJSmash

Must be a slow news day.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

Fuck LeBron.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By MeatSim

When your playing as LeBron what button do you press to spit on a cities entire population?

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By skrutop

LeBron is the main man in the NBA, so fans will use him.

leth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By leth

Brad, you forgot that the Kobe's on the cover of NBA 2K10: not many Celtics fans took well to that. I work at a Gamestop outside of Boston - when that game came out, there was a lot of hate for our displays...

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By fwylo
    @Milkman said:
    " Fuck LeBron. "
    Hell mother-fucking yes.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThomasP
    @TJSmash said:
    " Must be a slow news day. "
    Actually, this is a great article. BradN has gone the extra mile here. Myself, being a HUGE fan of the 2K series, I'm quite impressed. The stats about the most used teams in 2K10 was pretty interesting and completely make sense from playing the game so much. It was nice to see him get in touch with Chris Snyder, as well.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorWelch

No...just no.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ravensword

IMO Bill Simmons gave the best analogy for Lebrone going to Miami. He said it was like Hulk Hogan joining the NWO.  

Also, heres a funny vid.   

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ

Screw the NBA.  
    Long live the Sonics.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ht101
    @Meatsim: It hasn't been created yet but it's gonna be called the NWO button since a New World Order in basketball has arrived.
    Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Waffles13

Sports!

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By fillmoejoe

This just means everyone in multiplayer will pick the Heat.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By gamb1t

LOL @ boston fans. buncha fakes anyways. they never used to support there team till ALL THE SUDDEN

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1

SPORTS GAMES...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @ThomasP said:
    " @TJSmash said:
    Actually, this is a great article. BradN has gone the extra mile here. Myself, being a HUGE fan of the 2K series, I'm quite impressed. The stats about the most used teams in 2K10 was pretty interesting and completely make sense from playing the game so much. It was nice to see him get in touch with Chris Snyder, as well. "
    I too am a huge fan of the series and I found this article's existence perplexing. 

Oh really? People tend to choose teams with good players on them? You don't say. 

Brad N also seems to overlook the fact that Bostons big 3 are all over the hill and aren't the exciting and capable players they each once were earlier in their careers (Which makes them less fun in a video game). If you ask anyone if they'd rather play as the team with Carmelo, or the team with those 3 old guys, of course they'd choose the Nuggets. Also saying the Nuggets don't have anywhere near the star power of the Celtics is dumb. Carmelo alone almost has more star power. I'm not even a Nuggets fan, I'm just callin' it like I see it. 

How about some news on how 2K11 is actually comin' along?
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Death_Unicorn

If I bought a Basketball game, I'd play as the Bulls.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Fascinating.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ch13696
    @TJSmash said:
    Nope. Some of the staff believe they will get more attention by posting this as news instead of in the forums.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By ThomasP
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " @TJSmash said:
    Actually, this is a great article. BradN has gone the extra mile here. Myself, being a HUGE fan of the 2K series, I'm quite impressed. The stats about the most used teams in 2K10 was pretty interesting and completely make sense from playing the game so much. It was nice to see him get in touch with Chris Snyder, as well. "
    I too am a huge fan of the series and I found this article's existence perplexing.  Oh really? People tend to choose teams with good players on them? You don't say.  Brad N also seems to overlook the fact that Bostons big 3 are all over the hill and aren't the exciting and capable players they each once were earlier in their careers (Which makes them less fun in a video game). If you ask anyone if they'd rather play as the team with Carmelo, or the team with those 3 old guys, of course they'd choose the Nuggets. Also saying the Nuggets don't have anywhere near the star power of the Celtics is dumb. Carmelo alone almost has more star power. I'm not even a Nuggets fan, I'm just callin' it like I see it.  How about some news on how 2K11 is actually comin' along? "

What!? I don't find it perplexing at all. He's raising the point that even though Miami has the big three and everyone will choose them they still may not be the best team to play with in the game. In my opinion he raises a good point. The big three of the Celts whether you'd like to admit it or not are deadly with Rondo running the show in 2K10, but the Nuggets rebounding and like you say, Carmelo's speed and star power can overcome that.

Like I said, I found the numbers and orders of the best teams interesting. I did not know that before hand. I thought it was great, and I'm sure he would have let us know of anything else he could have.
    Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mamba219

I always use the Detroit Pistons, no matter how bad they are. I can easily beat morons who pick those five teams usually, too.

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By b33

looks at picture: nothing wrong 
    looks at caption: o_O something is wrong with that leg

SoftButtCheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SoftButtCheeks

Grand Theft Rondo will defeat all 3 of them @ once

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @ThomasP said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " @TJSmash said:
    I too am a huge fan of the series and I found this article's existence perplexing.  Oh really? People tend to choose teams with good players on them? You don't say.  Brad N also seems to overlook the fact that Bostons big 3 are all over the hill and aren't the exciting and capable players they each once were earlier in their careers (Which makes them less fun in a video game). If you ask anyone if they'd rather play as the team with Carmelo, or the team with those 3 old guys, of course they'd choose the Nuggets. Also saying the Nuggets don't have anywhere near the star power of the Celtics is dumb. Carmelo alone almost has more star power. I'm not even a Nuggets fan, I'm just callin' it like I see it.  How about some news on how 2K11 is actually comin' along? "
    What!? I don't find it perplexing at all. He's raising the point that even though Miami has the big three and everyone will choose them they still may not be the best team to play with in the game. In my opinion he raises a good point. The big three of the Celts whether you'd like to admit it or not are deadly with Rondo running the show in 2K10, but the Nuggets rebounding and like you say, Carmelo's speed and star power can overcome that.  Like I said, I found the numbers and orders of the best teams interesting. I did not know that before hand. I thought it was great, and I'm sure he would have let us know of anything else he could have. "  
     At no point did the article mention the "best" teams. It only talks about the ones used most in the online multiplayer. As I'm sure you know though, that data can't even be taken very seriously due to Team-Up mode and the fact that the system chooses the teams instead of the players. The majority of the time, it chooses Lakers vs. Magic too. If not Lakers vs. Magic, than it will choose some of those other 5 mentioned teams. It's rare that Team-Up mode dives very deep into the entire leagues depths. So yeah, skewed numbers. 

But really the thing about the article that I didn't care for was the lack of knowledge when it comes to general stuff. How can anyone call Cleveland's supporting cast "bad"? You don't win 60+ games in the NBA with a bad supporting cast. I mean come on, Mo Williams, Antwan Jamison, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anthony Parker, etc. They have awesome players. Unfortunately that team was built around LeBron so it will likely fall apart next year, but that's not really the point. 

Uggh. I just didn't like the article. More sports stuff though please, especially NBA stuff. As long as it's not stuff that everyone who cares already knows.
    muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By muttjones
    Why Boston is fifth: 

They have been that trio for several years now.  

Their trio is nowhere near as crazy talented than Lebron-Wade-Bosh (cept maybe Garnett is better than Bosh). 

Didn't win the championship the previous year. 

Their stars are old.
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By DevWil

this might be the worst brad n article to date.  i feel bad being a hater, but...seriously.

does he even know what website he's putting these stories on?

Chrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chrion

No way gamb1t my old roommate ordered the NBA directtv package and watched EVERY SINGLE pathetic game the celtics played every single year, if he had to work he recorded it and watched when he got home. I think you would be surprised how seriously loyal celtics fans are through thick and thin.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By grilledcheez

Dude, the celtics were old and they didn't have dominant players like Miami...that's why they were number 5.  Now Miami has arguably the 2 BEST players in the league and a great "power forward" that can get you 25 and 10 every night.  They WILL be the most used team.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Claude

According to that picture, LeBron needs to do more squats. That's a fucking chicken leg.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Raven_Sword: that was hilarious
    D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38  Edited By D
    @Milkman said:
    "Fuck LeBron. "

Agreed! Carmelo Anthony's a much better player. Denver with love!
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By carlthenimrod

I will continue to pick the Knicks and lose appropriately over the internet.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By nok
    @DevWil said:
    " this might be the worst brad n article to date.  i feel bad being a hater, but...seriously. does he even know what website he's putting these stories on? "
    Uh...what?
    Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mjolnir

I usually don't give a crap about sports games, especially basketball games, but I found this article surprisingly enjoyable. Just the simple fact that Brad N. took his "theory" and was able to make a real article out of it was something, idk, refreshing.

Or maybe I'm just up way too late

doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By doublezeroduck
    @Milkman said:

" Fuck LeBron. "

Yes. He is an egomaniac. Ripped out the heart of his fans. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive

ew his leg looks like beef jerky

Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Homer39
    @AgentJ said:
    " Screw the NBA.  
    Long live the Sonics. "
    Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By Frostler

Wow what important and amazing news!! Heat are gonna be the top played team in online! What!?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By Levio

While we are talking basketball, let's add this to the news page too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMweS2R4uyg&playnext_from=TL&videos=QLW9nj-E7kw&feature=grec_index

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Getz
    @Levio: Dude, it even has COLA!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By jakob187

Sports? 

*checks the website he is visiting* 

O_O  Cool!  Sports game news!!!

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By chrissedoff

easy on the haterade guys

JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

PHOENIX SUNS 4 LIFE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.