Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA Elite 11

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 05, 2010

EA's renamed basketball simulation set for an October 2010 release was cancelled at the last minute due to concerns over quality. The game was intended to introduce brand new control concepts and mechanics meant to innovate on the simulation basketball genre.

NBA Elite 11 To Feature 1:1 Movement, No Dice Rolling

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Shortly after the news broke that the NBA Live series was being renamed to NBA Elite starting with 2011's title, an EA representative said that the changes in the upcoming game will "usher in the future of basketball games." It was a bold, however, unsubstantiated claim. And it still is--but, the official announcement of the name change this morning carried a few details about the mechanical changes that gives us a glimpse at what that representative was spitting the big game about.

Foremost, NBA Elite 11 won't feature dice rolls. A skill-based shooting system that takes into account inputs based on position will replace the behind-the-scenes voodoo that once decided if a player's shot hits or not. In addition to this, NBA Elite 11 will feature a control scheme that maps movement one-to-one, no longer shackling you to animations. The physics system will supposedly be better than the norm as well. According to the press release, players will now move independently of one other, thus "removing the two-man interactions that have long taken the user control" out of b-ball simulation. 

No Caption Provided
    I'm digging what I'm hearing, especially about the stripping of shot randomness. I've been screaming this for years because if Reggie is open for a three, Reggie is going to make that f'ing three--even if he is retired. 

That said, I'm still not sold on if the physics or the control scheme--which seems like it'll add even more right-stick shenanigans to the game--will prove to be a point of design that will change b-ball games forever. But I'm no psychic. If I was, for example, I would have been able to tell you that NBA Live would become NBA Elite much sooner. Also, I probably would have been able to prevent that onion ring oil fire from happening in my kitchen. Or, at least, stopped myself from throwing water on it.  

NBA Elite 11 hits the Xbox 360 and PS3 this October. It's being developed by EA Canada.       
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Shortly after the news broke that the NBA Live series was being renamed to NBA Elite starting with 2011's title, an EA representative said that the changes in the upcoming game will "usher in the future of basketball games." It was a bold, however, unsubstantiated claim. And it still is--but, the official announcement of the name change this morning carried a few details about the mechanical changes that gives us a glimpse at what that representative was spitting the big game about.

Foremost, NBA Elite 11 won't feature dice rolls. A skill-based shooting system that takes into account inputs based on position will replace the behind-the-scenes voodoo that once decided if a player's shot hits or not. In addition to this, NBA Elite 11 will feature a control scheme that maps movement one-to-one, no longer shackling you to animations. The physics system will supposedly be better than the norm as well. According to the press release, players will now move independently of one other, thus "removing the two-man interactions that have long taken the user control" out of b-ball simulation. 

No Caption Provided
    I'm digging what I'm hearing, especially about the stripping of shot randomness. I've been screaming this for years because if Reggie is open for a three, Reggie is going to make that f'ing three--even if he is retired. 

That said, I'm still not sold on if the physics or the control scheme--which seems like it'll add even more right-stick shenanigans to the game--will prove to be a point of design that will change b-ball games forever. But I'm no psychic. If I was, for example, I would have been able to tell you that NBA Live would become NBA Elite much sooner. Also, I probably would have been able to prevent that onion ring oil fire from happening in my kitchen. Or, at least, stopped myself from throwing water on it.  

NBA Elite 11 hits the Xbox 360 and PS3 this October. It's being developed by EA Canada.       
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

cool bro

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MisterMouse

SOunds cool

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By carlthenimrod

Sounds interesting. Interested to see this game in action now. I'll give EA credit, I'm interested in this now. Can't say much about an EA basketball game since the Sega Genesis.

Bulls vs. Lakers FTW!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

The lack of dice rolls actually has me a little worried. You can be the best shooter in the world but occasionally, you're going to get an unlucky bounce or two. Obviously, we don't know exactly what this new system will entail but I hope it's implemented well because it could lead to some easy exploitation.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By benderunit22

Breaking News: EA makes a basketball game this year and they promise it's gonna be better than ever before!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It sounds interesting, at least, but I'd need to try it out myself before I could judge.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ISuperGamerI

It sounds interesting but I still don't like the new name, NBA Live is much better in my opinion.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By rjaylee

This sounds pretty interesting. 

I'm picturing in my head something along the lines of what MLB2K did with it's total control pitching system or the Skate 1 or 2 trick system, but attributing it somehow to shooting baskets or ball handling controls.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " cool bro "
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " This sounds pretty interesting.  I'm picturing in my head something along the lines of what MLB2K did with it's total control pitching system or the Skate 1 or 2 trick system, but attributing it somehow to shooting baskets or ball handling controls. "
    Do a 360 flip for a hook-shot? Yes....YES!
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tebbit

My first thoughts were NBA RPG. Don't try and stop me now, the dream is already seeded.

milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By milpool

This intrigues me.   

I love basketball, but every time I have TRIED to get into Basketball video games I have been turned off by the feel of the controls.  This will hopefully be similar to what EA's NHL 08 did for hockey video games in giving the users a higher level of control.   

And maybe now I will be able to enjoy playing basketball games that are not NBA Jam.

Jtan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jtan21
    @Tebbit said:
    " My first thoughts were NBA RPG. Don't try and stop me now, the dream is already seeded. "
    Ever played Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden?
    dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By dillonwerner

im not a big fan on this title gentlemen

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DoctorWelch

Sounds like a bunch of bull shit to me. They know that their basketball game has been the far worse one for the past few years and this seems to be a desperate grab at innovation after 2K10 basically raped Live 10 in sales. The dumbest part about this whole thing is the name change. The only reason anyone buys the Live games anymore is because they know the name. Now that the name no longer exists, its going to set EA's basketball games back even more. Someone needs to tell EA that they can just try and make the game better, they dont have to change the name entirely. Thats why Madden has gotten so stale and shitty over the years, that and a lack of competition. 

I honestly hope I eat my words when NBA Elite 11 comes out and it turns out to be great. Though I seriously doubt it, but we will see.

delicious_lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By delicious_lie

trailer will say "NBA Elite 11" and then a colon will come between the ones to make "1:1", or vice versa.
    calling it.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kinarion

So without dice rolls, what does that mean for different teams and players?  Will all PCs handle exactly the same, or will timing be tighter on a less skilled player?  Will only the CPU players reflect their real life counter parts?  What does it all mean?

Also, no clue how you make a CPU without dice rolls.  Even if it's just a 2-sided die, something has to determine whether the CPU sinks or bricks.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ToadRunner
    @delicious_lie: you win life
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

Yeah, we'll see if this goes well. I'm more of a 2K baller. College is my favorite, but who knows.

SoftButtCheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SoftButtCheeks

EA trying to use a gimmick to combat the 2k series. I'm sorry but they should just scrap the entire project. 2k has EA's balls in a vice grip.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

Sounds interesting. But I kinda wish they renamed it something less generic. Like NBA Fastbreak or something

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheManiacsGnome
    @Milpool:  NHL 07 was the first NHL title with shooting, deking, and checking mapped to the right analog stick. ;) 

Overall I've felt that the 2K series was always the better choice for Basketball (Kinda like what their NHL series once was) so it'll be interesting to see what EA does with Elite and whether they can wrestle the crown back from 2K.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I'll give them a chance. I really disliked both basketball games last year. The menu system 2K has adopted drives me insane. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187
    @BradNicholson: It's being developed by EA Canada? 

So we're going to have 1260-degree spins while jumping ten feet into the air because we take it to the house while dunking with our feet?! 

In all seriousness, though - it sounds like there is too much being left up to chance, and we know how frustrating chance can be in video games.  Right, UFC Undisputed's Flash K.O.'s?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think Backbreaker, despite being loaded with its low budget issues, has ushered in the true future for physical sports games like football, hockey, basketball, and soccer etc (not baseball, although, the show has pretty badass pitching and batting physics that seem totally realistic to me) 

they need to start making everything physics based instead, like the article says, voodoo-like. 

Budkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Budkin

I made the switch to 2K in 2001 and haven't considered Live, but if this game is really as good as it sounds I'd give it a try.

hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hpv

So if it's all based on player input instead of "dice rolling" how are they going to take into account the different skills of the simulated players?  Relax the timing requirements for better players or something?

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By simian

Sounds... Interesting? I dunno the last time I cared about an NBA game, Jordan was still with the Bulls (for the first time) and there was a lot less rapists and thugs in the league... At least not getting caught.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Milkman said:
    " The lack of dice rolls actually has me a little worried. You can be the best shooter in the world but occasionally, you're going to get an unlucky bounce or two. Obviously, we don't know exactly what this new system will entail but I hope it's implemented well because it could lead to some easy exploitation. "
    I guess this is my worry, too. I'd have to sit down with the system and have it explained right there and then for it to be at least a little demystified.  

Interesting to watch the back-and-forth between the two premier basketball studios. 
    DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By DevWil

giant bomb only cares about sports games fans.

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Trnck

So there will be tailor designed controllers for cheating right?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By MeatSim

Dice rolls to dunk and missing dunks does seem kind of bad.

stoppre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stoppre

This sounds really good and even looks good in some of the early videos. I have never really loved the 2k series. Something about the way the players look and hunch over is really weird but they have played better. I loved the older Live games and look forward to this one as well.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive

i havent bought a basketball game in years. im looking forward to whate 2k and ea both bring to the table this year. if it turns out great i'll buy this but otherwise i'll just stick to my NHL 11 and MLB 11 THE SHOW as my two sports games  (and maybe madden 11)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.