Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA Jam

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Return to the roots of arcade NBA basketball in the 2010 installment of NBA Jam. Developed by EA Canada for seventh-generation game consoles, this rebirth brings back the gameplay, aesthetics, and gratuitous secrets of the original 1993 arcade game.

I'm not having fun

Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know what specific element about this game is causing this, but I'm not having fun with and I'm really questioning why I bought this.  

The AI is absolutely abysmal with worse rubber banding in than bloody Mario Kart. 
     When the AI suddenly decides it'll turn into God mode from being pathetic losers who couldn't sink a 2 pointer if they were 10ft tall...but then your AI partner won't scale in a similar fashion, because, you know, that'd make it fair. 
    Many of the remix modes are broken, as far as I'm concerned. I've just been playing a gold 21 for an hour. Starting, restarting, starting, restarting. Endless loop of overwhelming frustration. I'll tackle, it'll go into the other AI's hands. I'll get shoved and lose the ball. I can shove them twice and they'll cling onto it like a mother and her newborn baby. 
    I go online and if matchmaking wants to work, other people will quit out. 

I primarily bought the game because with 4 people and 4 360 controllers in this student house, I thought it'd be perfect. When there is someone in the same room playing, it is more fun, but the rest of the time I really just keep thinking to myself 'what the fuck is going on??'  

I've played the old, original, NBA Jam. Where you could get a hilarious amount of points and you didn't care that the AI was a crap shot because it was there for your entertainment and not theirs. That spark, that something that made the old one fun just isn't present and in return I feel like I've got a package that at the end of the day simply isn't fun. At times this is more difficult than Super Meat Boy, but at least that was fair. At least I could get better at that and complete it and know that I beat the respective benchmark. The only thing I'm beating here is my head against the wall wanting to know what precisely I could possibly do better in a remix 21 gold so that I actually score more than 2 damn points every 5 minutes.  

Urch. Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking this way? I'm really glad I picked this up at a slightly marked down price, but for the £25 I spent on it, I wish I'd have just bought Hot Pursuit instead.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By williamhenry

Just started playing the game today and I'm totally with you. Seriously, fuck this game. It is entirely way too god damn hard. The rubber banding is atrocious and makes it just about impossible to score in the second half. You better hope you have a big lead at halftime or you're screwed. The remix tour is impossible. You can not score in 21. If by some chance you get the ball, you will be either knocked down immediately, will have the ball stolen, or the shot will be blocked no matter what. Entirely unfun.

Maybe we're remembering the old Jam differently because I don't remember them at all being this difficult. I'm playing on easy for a reason. I don't need you to make the AI super hard for me in the second half so its not a 75 point blowout. I want it to be a 75 point blowout. I don't want to scream and throw my controller over this bullshit. Only played it twice but I'm considering never playing it again because its so frustrating. What the hell were the developers thinking?

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JCGamer

Yea, there is something about the game that makes it seem a bit boring to play.  I think it might be the music but I'm not too sure.  I haven't played the console version in awhile but am actually really digging the iPhone version.  It just seems like a game were 1 game is enough for a sitting.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Romination

Hey, I love NBA Jam. I want to try and defend it but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Actually, yeah, the AI is extremely rubber bandy, and it's always recommended that you play with someone else. I haven't had a problem with it myself- and I'm not exactly that great at the game- but there are definitely spots where they get all aggressive and can hit EVERYTHING. In fact, I still get that point lead that you mention that you had in the old games- a huge point lead and then just rolling face all over them. And I don't think I'm on easy, so I don't know.

And now I want to play more!

Maybe for the next one that's downloadable the AI will actually be... AI.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By williamhenry
    @Romination said:
    " Hey, I love NBA Jam. I want to try and defend it but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Actually, yeah, the AI is extremely rubber bandy, and it's always recommended that you play with someone else. I haven't had a problem with it myself- and I'm not exactly that great at the game- but there are definitely spots where they get all aggressive and can hit EVERYTHING. In fact, I still get that point lead that you mention that you had in the old games- a huge point lead and then just rolling face all over them. And I don't think I'm on easy, so I don't know.

And now I want to play more!

Maybe for the next one that's downloadable the AI will actually be... AI.
    "
    Its not that I don't like it, its just that its so frustrating. I don't know why they made it so hard.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Romination
    @DivineCC: OP's really the one who sounds like he hates what's going on here.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By williamhenry
    @Romination said:
    " @DivineCC: OP's really the one who sounds like he hates what's going on here. "
    I pretty much agreed with everything he said tho. I don't know what I did, but I'm not having any of the rubber banding problems anymore. I don't know if I didn't have it set to easy earlier or whether or not I got better, but the game is now way less frustrating. I even got the achievements for doubling and trippling the CPUs score. Game is way more fun now and reminds me a lot of the old Jams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.