Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Necromunda: Underhive Wars

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Sep 08, 2020

Turn-based tactical RPG from the studio behind Mordheim: City of the Damned. It is based off the Games Workshop board game Necromunde: Underhive and is part of the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Anyone planning on picking this up?

Omar_Comin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

September 8th release date and a release trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOBJgvFtlo

I've been looking forward to this for a while. Necromunda is the GW game that most interested me as a kid. The whole 3D battlefield was so cool, and with just enough cyberpunk dashed in there together with the GW grimdark stuff. I've always thought it would make the perfect turn-based strategy video game. I still would've liked it to have leaned into X-Com style mechanics a little more. I think Mordheim is decent and I'm hoping this improves on that, especially with a much more interesting setting, to me.

I nearly bought some Necromunda miniatures to paint up during quarantine, even though that's something I don't really do usually. The new models look really good.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By MoonlightMoth

Oh definitely, I really enjoyed Mordheim so I'm certainly interested. Hopefully its good as I like the setting and the ideas on show. I actually have a big old Necromunda codex thingy from 1998 but never went further than that, my hands wobble so much I'd only ruin any miniatures I'd try to paint. That being said I recently picked up the Adepta Sororitas codex so who knows.

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been getting back into painting 40K figurines recently so, maybe. When I was really into GW stuff a decade ago, the Necromunda figs never piqued my interest, so I don't have the light nostalgia for them like I do with other GW properties. Although, I haven't seen the new models yet.

The trailer does look kinda interesting so I'll definitely keep an eye on it see what the reception ends up being at launch.

Omar_Comin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Omar_Comin

As someone who didn't pay attention to GW miniatures for like 20 years, the level of detail on stuff now is incredible:

No Caption Provided

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had a Delaque gang & instead of the snazzy brown dusters I painted them with some green wash, I dunno, to make them uniquely mine or something. I was 12 or 13, bad taste is requisite.

I have a lot of fond memories of the campaign nature of Necromunda, never really had RPGs in my friend group but we had Necromunda & it was cool. Even if I was extremely bad at it & hated my friend whose Van Saar gang had a Heavy with a Lascannon that just made my poor Juvies into mincemeat.

So yeah, this could be really cool. Though I don't think I'd run a Delaque gang now as the new models are less "cool dudes in dusters" & goggles & more like vaguely undead looking extremely pale dudes (which at least makes sense living in the Underhive)

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No real interest in Necromunda, sadly. The factions don't really do it for me and Kill Team fills the small squad combat niche while letting me use models/bits I already have laying around.

As someone who didn't pay attention to GW miniatures for like 20 years, the level of detail on stuff now is incredible:

Forgeworld stuff has looked really good for quite some time. I have some 2000's era FW that looks incredible.

But man, you thought Games Workshop minis were expensive...

Games Workshop stuff has gotten a lot better looking lately, though. It feels like there's been scale creep , where even human sized models like Sisters of Battle got scaled up from 25mm to 32mm bases.

Omar_Comin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Omar_Comin

Loading Video...

Honestly, I think this looks promising. I like Mordheim but often I feel like the strategic depth isn't there. I am pretty noob at the game, but to me, battles often feel like a melee free for all in the middle of the map, where whoever has the most overpowered character just rips through most of the enemy warband. I think the battle shown here shows a bit more strategic depth because of the increased mobility, use of cover, and a more three-dimensional battlefield.

On the other hand, Necromunda (and other GW games) are rarely cool because of their strategic depth, but rather the roleplaying/emerging narrative aspect, which tabletop games are just inherently better at doing than video games.

Omar_Comin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...

I think the PvE modes are borderline unplayable due to the hilariously dumb AI. And the only PvP match I've played so far crashed out in the middle of the battle and it has no rejoin feature or anything. The UI is pretty bad after playing CK3 pretty much all weekend. I just want to mouse over things and have it tell me what they mean. The console-ification of the controls and UI not helping much here.

There's a bit of potential here for the competitive multiplayer component but there's something off about the progression system and combat mechanics. Maybe I'm missing something but why can I max out two of a ganger's stat with only a few XP? After just two PvE battles I maxed out my sniper's range stats basically making her have 100% to hit for nearly every shot, despite her still being a low level juve. I dunno, so many design choices I would've made different here.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it was first announced and opened for preorders without a single gameplay video out I was sceptic.

Seems my hunch was right and game isn't all that good, judging from reviews that are out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.