Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

How do developers determine the time to beat in time-trial races?

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

Over the weekend I was playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit trying to get the gold medal awards in the time trial events and some of these gold times were really tough.  

This made me question how developers determine the time to beat in time-trial races? Do they make them up or is it based on user tests?

This is not only relevant to this game but all other racing games as well.  

Any developers or knowledgeable users know the answer?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

Most likely by the times set by their internal testing.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

@Masha2932 said:

is it based on user tests?

Most likely. But games like Split/Second make me think otherwise. Some of the gold medal times are near-impossible.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Starfishhunter9

@EVO said:

@Masha2932 said:

is it based on user tests?

Most likely. But games like Split/Second make me think otherwise. Some of the gold medal times are near-impossible.

Maybe internal testing average multiplied by a difficulty factor E.g. 0.8 for silver medals.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Masha2932
    @EVO:  Oh, don't get me started on Split/second. The racing times on the Detonator events(time-trials) are just brutal, throw in the random explosions and it becomes downright  frustrating. 

With regards to the time trial times I guess user tests make the most sense. 
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

Hardet ones might be from them programming an AI to make an almost perfect run and seeing what that time is then taking it from that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BisonHero

If the developer has a big budget, they probably have the resources to bring in some random people to play the game, and to get feedback on whether they think the difficulty is too hard, too easy.

But I think most developers look at whatever the QA testers can do (in this case, time trials), and just lower expectation a little bit, because most people won't be able to compete with testers who have played the same game day in, day out for like 6 months.

I remember listening to the in-game commentary for Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II, and there was a part where the lead designer briefly talked about the first Rogue Squadron, and he basically acknowledged that they lost sight of what was reasonable and started listening to feedback from the testers way too much, to the point that some of the missions in the last act of the game are of completely ridiculous difficulty, not to mention nearly impossible to get a gold medal on.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By MideonNViscera

When I was a kid I thought that whoever made Mario Kart 64 had to be the best player ever too, and therefore the person behind the crazy unlockable ghost time trials heh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.