Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

NFS Hot Pursuit is feckin hard man!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for conduitfoursale
    ConduitFourSale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ConduitFourSale

Does anyone else here think that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a hard feckin' game?  I mean, with all the rubberbanding and those unforgiving time trials, I wanted to yank my hair out after a 45 minute session this afternoon.  I'm no pro behind the wheel, but I think I have pretty solid driving skills.  Yet I find it nearly impossible to make it through those time trials maps and secure gold without bumping into anything.  And forget about slowing down for turns and corners; you'll never make it.  Anyway, if you have any experience with this game and are sharing similar frustrations holler back and let me know what parts are killing you. 

-Mike 

PS.  Silly question but: is swearing permitted?  You never know...

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Malakhii

Best advice for racing games, never brake. You have to be the fastest, breaking slows you down, so logically you should never brake if you want to win. Just hold down that gas button until your finger explodes.

Swearing is encouraged. 

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By FacelessVixen

Drift more, I guess.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By falconer

I take it you've never played a Criterion game before? 

@TheSilentTruth said:

" Drift more, I guess. "
    Never not drifting.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @ShaggyChu said:
    " I take it you've never played a Criterion game before? 

@TheSilentTruth said:
    " Drift more, I guess. "
    Never not drifting. "
    Man speaks the truth. 

Sharp corners - tap the break briefly and turn to make the drift. Longer bends, just remove your finger from the accelerator and slam it back down fast to take advantage of the long turn.  

Also, is it just me or is the traffic randomised in this game? Because I'm pretty sure it wasn't in some of the burnout titles which meant you never found yourself in a situation where you're mid drift and you suddenly see 2 cars in either lane ahead coming from each direction and have no way to avoid them as you're already committed to the turn. I never had that problem in Burnout before - always assumed it was part of the design but maybe I'm misremembering? 
    Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Fudgeblood

Try and get as much boost as possible too. Slip stream (Except when they have spike strips!) and drive in the opposite lane whenever you can, using that boost out of corners will help you get your speed back up quickly.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ShaggyChu said:
    " I take it you've never played a Criterion game before? 

@TheSilentTruth said:
    " Drift more, I guess. "
    Never not drifting. "
    Always Be Drifting.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falconer
    @Vitor: They started using randomized traffic in Paradise. 

If and when it's possible for me I'll take a turn either very shallow (ideally how you should be taking every turn), or super wide. This way I avoid any possible traffic. Of course if I can see the turn or there's traffic in one lane at the beginning of the turn I'll take the turn accordingly. If it's a long multi-lane turn I'll take it low/mid. It's way easier to go wide if necessary to avoid a car, than it is to go deeper into the turn.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By subject2change

Game is great. I am so happy with the difficulty and needing to replay levels. Nostalgia in HD ftw!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor
    @ShaggyChu: Ah, that explains it - never got into Paradise as heavily as Burnout 3. Awful memory. Couldn't learn the map so working out routes for the higher level cars at ridiculous speeds was just too much of a hassle. It's why I prefer NFS:HP's take on the open world to an extent.  

That's sort of annoying though - means you can never perfect a lap. Adds variety but also makes those Gold medals harder to get in theory if a perfect run can be screwed up by unforeseen traffic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vitor said:
    " @ShaggyChu: Ah, that explains it - never got into Paradise as heavily as Burnout 3. Awful memory. Couldn't learn the map so working out routes for the higher level cars at ridiculous speeds was just too much of a hassle. It's why I prefer NFS:HP's take on the open world to an extent.   That's sort of annoying though - means you can never perfect a lap. Adds variety but also makes those Gold medals harder to get in theory if a perfect run can be screwed up by unforeseen traffic. "
    Weird. I literally just got to the part in this week's Bombcast where they talk about this very thing. 
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " @ShaggyChu: Ah, that explains it - never got into Paradise as heavily as Burnout 3. Awful memory. Couldn't learn the map so working out routes for the higher level cars at ridiculous speeds was just too much of a hassle. It's why I prefer NFS:HP's take on the open world to an extent.   That's sort of annoying though - means you can never perfect a lap. Adds variety but also makes those Gold medals harder to get in theory if a perfect run can be screwed up by unforeseen traffic. "
    Weird. I literally just got to the part in this week's Bombcast where they talk about this very thing.  "
    Yet to listen to it - really? Bizarre...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

The rubberbanding is some massive bullshit, especially because I can dominate a match all the way until the last mile of many Hot Pursuit matches.  In that last mile, everyone ALWAYS shows the fuck back up and slams into everyone, causing me to lose out. 

Beyond that, I think it's still a pretty excellent game.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @MPerlo9: Swearing is allowed. Just not in thread titles.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falconer
    @Vitor said:
    I didn't have TOO hard of a time getting all Golds myself. I was always more worried about hitting a wall during the Cop Fast Responses than hitting cars. I also never had a hard time finding my around Paradise. In fact, I would get mad at myself when I would miss a turn after realizing it was a faster route. 

Although, I've put in over 500 hours collectively into Criterion racing games, sooooo I'm kinda OP at playing them at this point. :P
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vitor
    @ShaggyChu said:
    " @Vitor said:
    I didn't have TOO hard of a time getting all Golds myself. I was always more worried about hitting a wall during the Cop Fast Responses than hitting cars. I also never had a hard time finding my around Paradise. In fact, I would get mad at myself when I would miss a turn after realizing it was a faster route.  Although, I've put in over 500 hours collectively into Criterion racing games, sooooo I'm kinda OP at playing them at this point. :P "
    Ah. I had 100 hours in Burnout 3: Takedown back in the day but just never got into the openness of Paradise.  

Didn't have too much of an issue with most of the Gold's either. Would kick myself every time I'd hit the wall/a car in Fast Responses as I was always aiming for a perfect run though. 

Still find it weird how Jeff thinks it's more NFS than Burnout. I definitely am feeling the Burnout influence here but, then again, I've never played a NFS game before so can't compare. To me it just feels like they took the Takedown mode from 3, weighed down the cars, added weapons and  this was the result. 
    ConduitFourSale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ConduitFourSale
    @Vitor: From the 15 or so events I've played I definitely don't think traffic is randomized.  I think there are like 3-5 different patterns per map that rotate.  I could be way fucking wrong though!
    ConduitFourSale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ConduitFourSale

Thanks for all the tips fellas.  One more question: 

What perspective do you prefer?  I stay almost exclusively in the "behind-the-car' perspective.  With the intense speed, oncoming traffic and shortcuts I can't imagine not having as wide a view of the road as possible.  What do you all think though?

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Malakhii
    @MPerlo9: I find that behind the back is definitely the way to go for more arcadey racers. 
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Portis

I had some serious problems completing all of the 'interceptor' events. There were a few towards the end that I thought I'd never beat. 

Just the sheer craziness of the AI driver -- the U-turns, the sudden shortcuts, the downright magical acceleration...good lord.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MPerlo9: I've never been able to do well in any racing game without the behind-the-back cam. Maybe in an early NASCAR game or something, is where I once used the "grill-camera" to success. But the hell with that in a game like Hot Pursuit. 
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By foggel

Use the handbrake for drifting sharp turns. Works for me atleast. Never had a problem with the time trials.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By icytower38

The game is enjoyable enough that although the time trials are a bitch, and some of the events towards the end are ridiculous, I've enjoyed this game imensely.

I hate how they added the +2/3 for the Rapid Response events, would make those just that much easier if they hadn't done that one.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KimChi4U

I gotta say that the cop events seem to be a lot easier to finish than the racer events. I just got a gold medal in all of the cop events but I have 31/60 gold medals for the racer events. The Hot pursuits and the racing events aren't impossible but the time trials and gauntlets seem to require being able to drive in a zen like trance that I haven't quite accomplished.

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By andymp

The rubberband AI really is frustrating. Initially I put it down to the AI just using nitro like I was to get past them, but there's more to it than that for sure.

Sourceguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sourceguru

rubberbanding is a bit frustrating sometimes.  I have found myself waiting behind first place until there is a mile left and then letting loose with nitrous or turbo.  

Cusseta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cusseta

For some reason, I have the hardest time getting gold on Rapid Response events. Those damn 2-second penalties kick my ass!

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rosebud04
    @Malakhii said:
     Swearing is encouraged.  "  

Fuckin A!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just getting into the game. It really seems like the Rapid Response trials are going to be the death of me. There's one early on--one with a blue Corvette--that I drove flawlessly. No collisions or penalties or anything. Still missed Distinction by a solid five seconds. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Azteck

Nah. It's a pretty hard fucking game though.

But in all seriousness; Good Luck Have Drifting.

sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sawfish22

I was hoping that I wasn't the only person with this issue.  I'm surprised no one (at least, no one I heard) wrote or said anything about this game's difficulty.  I'm the kind of guy who has been playing racing games for years and it's one of my favorite genres.  Maybe it's just one of those things that I have to refine and just get used to.  I have no doubt that once I get the game's controls and physics down that I'll really love it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman

Feckin'. 

Tekken? 

I reckon.

blalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blalala
    @sawfish22 said:

" I was hoping that I wasn't the only person with this issue.  I'm surprised no one (at least, no one I heard) wrote or said anything about this game's difficulty.  I'm the kind of guy who has been playing racing games for years and it's one of my favorite genres.  Maybe it's just one of those things that I have to refine and just get used to.  I have no doubt that once I get the game's controls and physics down that I'll really love it. "

I'm guessing most of the people just haven't gotten to the hard parts yet, since they're quite far into the game (I doubt most reviewers even finished the game..). From the 20 people I have on my friends list only 4 have times posted for the last race event. I'm now about 40 hours in and some of the races are still pretty hard, haven't gotten all golds yet (FU Seacrest tour!). Still loving the game though :)
    Grandprix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Grandprix

I didn't have that much trouble at all. Already got the 1000 GS from the game. Haven't got the DLC yet. I think my completion time was around 30 hours and I spent a little while trying to beat other friends times on the speedwalls. I had to restart a few events but getting golds was not really that difficult. I do play a lot of racing games though. I had 7 races online left to get to 10 for the achievement, won 6 and finished 3rd once so maybe I'm a bit better than I think I am.
    Snowfelhake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Snowfelhake

three easy steps :
    1. before turn brake a little bit .
    2. drift a bit during turn .
    3. nitros out to straighten up and gain speed.
    use the above steps and you  cant go wrong :)
    (assuming u remember to use the accelerator in the straight bits)
    p.s. hitting the traffic is a BAD thing ! ... who knew right ? :D

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I really need to play this some more! Not finding it very easy, but having loads of fun.

Play more on the later events for a while then go back and try the earlier events you might have struggled with before and it they seem to get easier.

Lolimoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lolimoto
    @MPerlo9: 
    I prefer the bumper cam, because it's easier to stay  on my path and take turns as tight as possible. In F1 games I've always been using the cam where you can see the front half of the car.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Im finding it quite easy hah

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.