Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

The 70 Mile Race and Why Nobody's Done It Yet?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

After a month of WoW Cataclysm craze, I'm back to playing 'real' games...

Finally came around to finish up the racer events (completed the cops events back in December). So there's a 70 mile race amongst the Hyper events. I've accepted a ton of people for autolog competition, lots of GBers too. There's literally one other guy with a finish time posted on my speedwall. What's going on? Is a 14 minute race too much for you guys' attention span?

I'm quite curious what that's all about.
    jellysnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jellysnake

I finished all the cop events, the racer events don't really appeal as much to me.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

...wait there's a race in NFS that's 70 miles and people think it's long?  The average race in GT5 after level 25 is over 70 miles... 

...you could easily finish the 70 mile race in less than an hour with just going at an average of 90 mph.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BlaineBlaine

A couple friends and I did this: 

Le Mans 24 Hours 

Did about 6 hours shifts each. That said, I probably will never ever ever play any race that takes an hour again. 

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By NinjaHunter

I haven't even unlocked that race yet. In fact, I'm pretty sure I haven't even unlocked the Hyper Class yet. I've been taken my time with that game.

beef_daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By beef_daddy

I would say it has more to do with surviving the 70 mile race than actually trying it.

Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Pitta

It only takes like 12 minutes. you are using the HYPER cars for fucks sake. Top speed 250+... its not that bad. I got Gold in 1 try.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

. . . or that it's one of the last races you unlock. And that this game's livelihood is its online play. 

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By Eribuster

Personally, the game's livelihood are its asynchronous score (i.e. time) competitions and novel event set ups. Than again, I'm one of those weird people that does not care much for live competitive online multiplayer. It doesn't help that the PC interface does everything it can in sabotaging efforts in getting a big public group going. Stupid separation of lobbies in to three events and subsequently five speed classes with no way to communicate to other players in the game. 

Also, I had a tough time with Seacrest Tour. I had to try three times before I was able to snag the gold. The McLaren F1 was too slow and the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport was too heavy. Thankfully, the Koenigsegg CCRX Edition struck the necessary balance for me to beat the rubber banding AI.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Vao

did it, gotta love how it gives like 50k bounty for first place, 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Seppli: The hot pursuit just before you unlock it is brutal. That may be why. Also it's 70km not miles, still long as hell. I did it yesterday in my CCrX but that was after my friend tried it 7 times and kept wrecking. 

It's a 14 minute race with a 50,000 credit jackpot for first place. I finished 3rd and got the 15,000 but I still feel like it's not worth racing 15 minutes and ending up 4th or 5th with nothing to show for.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

I love it. I'm kinda pissed, that there aren't more really long races. The way the world is built, it'd lend itself to 'PGR-style' make your own races. Too bad that's being done with overpriced DLC packs these days. I'd love to design an actual 1 hour race.

About 'surving' a 70 mile race... it ain't a hot pursuit. It's a race. Just don't crash and you'll be fine. Did it twice so far. One second place with like 3 crashes and one first place with one crash at the very end, being a bit to generous with expending my nitrous at all cost.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I just lost interest in the game altogether.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696

Why do I agree with the fact that most gamers now do have a short attention span? 

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Phog_of_War

Sadly the killer for me is the dredded rubberband AI.  And I used to love the NFS games as a kid.
    chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By chan05
    @Seppli: I finished every race in that game. Feel free to add me in autolog or xbox live: chan05
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikey87144

I've been doing both cops and racer events at the same time so I haven't gotten to that yet. The fact that it's a Hot pursuit event scares me a bit though

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By Eribuster

Oh, it's not a Hot Pursuit event. Its the last event for the Racer career and it's a Race event.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By mattbosten

Finished all the events and the first DLC pack (Super Sports IIRC), intend to go back eventually. Was top of my autolog for every event but 2 or 3, expect that will have changed when I do eventually go back. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.