Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

Want 60 fps?

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tahnit

Then play this game on the PC. The game looks absolutely stunning on my 37inch tv hooked up to my pc. With beta drivers i was able to use 8xAA and 8x transparency AA on my gtx 570.  

Seriously this game was meant for 60fps, not 30. The sense of speed you get going 250 mph with 60fps non stop cannot be understated.  

Criterion should have cut down the effects for the console versions to get them at 60fps, and then released a graphically superior version for the pc because a well equipped pc can handle anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy with their decision. The game is amazing on the consoles. I think cutting it to 30 on the consoles gave them way more room to maneuver than just cutting some of the graphics - and then the PC still gets the best of all worlds.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Tahnit said:
    " Then play this game on the PC. The game looks absolutely stunning on my 37inch tv hooked up to my pc. With beta drivers i was able to use 8xAA and 8x transparency AA on my gtx 570.   Seriously this game was meant for 60fps, not 30. The sense of speed you get going 250 mph with 60fps non stop cannot be understated.   Criterion should have cut down the effects for the console versions to get them at 60fps, and then released a graphically superior version for the pc because a well equipped pc can handle anything. "
    The game looks fine on console. And I plan to get it soon. 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FritzDude

Who cares. 60 fps, 30 fps, as long as i'm enabled to play the damn game without much errors, bugs or other annoyances, and with full control over my vehicle, then i really dont care about it. And your argument that the game seems faster with 60 Fps makes little sense to me. More frames =  less speed in the animation. Cutting frames mean that you get more speed. It's just an illusion, it's not faster, but smoother, big difference. But i digress.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho
    @FritzDude said:

" Who cares. 60 fps, 30 fps, as long as i'm enabled to play the damn game without much errors, bugs or other annoyances, and with full control over my vehicle, then i really dont care about it. And your argument that the game seems faster with 60 Fps makes little sense to me. More frames =  less speed in the animation. Cutting frames mean that you get more speed. It's just an illusion, it's not faster, but smoother, big difference. But i digress. "

lol, no man. I really don't know where to begin if you think cutting frames will make the game faster. Its literally the opposite of reality.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

No

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FritzDude
    @ryanwho said:

"@FritzDude said:

"                      Who cares. 60 fps, 30 fps, as long as i'm enabled to play the damn game without much errors, bugs or other annoyances, and with full control over my vehicle, then i really dont care about it. And your argument that the game seems faster with 60 Fps makes little sense to me. More frames =  less speed in the animation. Cutting frames mean that you get more speed. It's just an illusion, it's not faster, but smoother, big difference. But i digress.                                        "

lol, no man. I really don't know where to begin if you think cutting frames will make the game faster. Its literally the opposite of reality.

"

Think "man". You are walking in 5 seconds. Do you think it's better to you use 60 frames per second or 30? More frames = more animations in each frame = smoother experience, but NOT faster. I think it's pretty obvious, but please explain if you think you're right.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Jadeskye
    @FritzDude said: 
    Think "man". You are walking in 5 seconds. Do you think it's better to you use 60 frames a second or 30? "
    I feel i need to interupt this arguement to state what an incredible piece of english this is in both grammar and how much sense it makes.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FritzDude
    @jadeskye said:

" @FritzDude said: 

Think "man". You are walking in 5 seconds. Do you think it's better to you use 60 frames a second or 30?                                         "
    I feel i need to interupt this arguement to state what an incredible piece of english this is in both grammar and how much sense it makes.

"

"Interrupt", you mean, yes? Or "argument"?
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

Can't play with my friends then.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Jadeskye
    @FritzDude said:
    " @jadeskye said:

" @FritzDude said: 

Think "man". You are walking in 5 seconds. Do you think it's better to you use 60 frames a second or 30?                                         "

"
    "Interrupt", you mean, yes? Or "argument"? "
    draw attention to your really poor statement then focus on my spelling.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

My computer can barely run Viva Pinata at high settings, and I'm a broke-ass college student. The amount of money a high-end PC would cost me isn't worth a slightly smoother frame rate. The game is fine at 30fps.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FritzDude
    @jadeskye:
    I know, i'm cruel. I've added more on that post.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By AlexW00d
    @FritzDude: Dude you are completely wrong, just give up. Taking out frames doesn't make the game faster, nor does adding them, unless the game lags it runs the same speed regardless. 
    BUT as it goes, the less frames per second, the slower it looks like it is running, which is exactly what the OP said.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
    @FritzDude:  Games running at 30 hertz means it takes 33.3333333 milliseconds for your inputs to register and affect the game, as well as another for the game to update and show you what happened. For 60 FPS it takes 16.6666667 ms. How is 30fps faster whatsoever?

Sure some games are designed foe 30hz and that double framerate won't make any difference in input speeds, but there's still the final product you see running twice as smooth.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

Forcing AA does make a big difference, but unfortunately caused other image problems for me.  Framerates have been kinda all over the place for me too, ranging from ~50 into sudden drops down to about ~15 (and usually putting me into a wall).  I haven't messed about with settings too much to try and smooth things out though, so that could just be how I have it set up, or my PC, or something.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FritzDude

Ok, i was wrong. The game is set to a specific, so technically it runs "faster" in 60 Fps. I apologize.

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tahnit
    @Jimbo said:
    " Forcing AA does make a big difference, but unfortunately caused other image problems for me.  Framerates have been kinda all over the place for me too, ranging from ~50 into sudden drops down to about ~15 (and usually putting me into a wall).  I haven't messed about with settings too much to try and smooth things out though, so that could just be how I have it set up, or my PC, or something. "
    To force AA uses a lot of video memory at this time. The drivers are VERY beta and unless you have over a gig of video memory you will get slowdown.  I dont have any other image problems however.
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By unsolvedparadox

It's pretty awesome on my 360, but now I am intrigued by the PC option...it sounds incredible.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By vitor
    @UnsolvedParadox said:
    " It's pretty awesome on my 360, but now I am intrigued by the PC option...it sounds incredible. "
    Won't be supported with any of the DLC though and, without a 360 style friends list, it's slightly more cumbersome to get the Auto-Log working as it was intended.  

I'm loving it, but it sounds like the 360 version may be a better choice in some areas.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn

I didn't notice the halved framerate on the 360 version...So just how amazing is this?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I have this for both PC and 360 now, I would love to see it run in 60 FPS. The game has a fantastic sense of speed, but console owners should not be worried or feel bad. The game looks and runs amazingly on consoles too.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Aus_azn said:
    " I didn't notice the halved framerate on the 360 version...So just how amazing is this? "
    We will have to wait for someone to FRAPS this at 30 and 60 FPS and upload it somewhere for proper judgement.  However more frames is always a nice thing.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Geno

Are people here honestly oblivious of the difference between 30fps and 60fps? >.>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.