Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed Rivals

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

A cross-gen open-world driving game set in a fictional Redview County.

I'm sure it's great, but...

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The poorly written training section is unskippable, doesn't actually show you anything about the controls, and you can't pause it. At all. After my first "mission" started I hit the option button to see, well, my OPTIONS but it just left the game running in the background. Couldn't find the controls anywhere. Bigger problem since I bought it digitally. If you can't pause a single player game at all then I'm really going to be pissed off.

And after you complete the training the game dumps you to a loading screen where have to sit and wait for a slow ass "installing game" bar to fill up. It moves at about two percent a minute.I suspect "install" means "downloading a big patch" and that they shipped a broken unfinished game.

Lazy development and poor design yay.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@depecheload: The tutorial was definitely a bit barebones.

However, NFS:R isn't a singleplayer game, which is why you can't pause it. When you launch the game you're joining a multiplayer session, even if you're the only player currently within the session.

As far as the installing game stuff, I'm not sure what's up with that for you. I saw there was a patch as soon as I launched it, quit out, let the patch install, then relaunched, and was able to get into the main game as soon as I completed the tutorial.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin said:

@depecheload: The tutorial was definitely a bit barebones.

However, NFS:R isn't a singleplayer game, which is why you can't pause it. When you launch the game you're joining a multiplayer session, even if you're the only player currently within the session.

As far as the installing game stuff, I'm not sure what's up with that for you. I saw there was a patch as soon as I launched it, quit out, let the patch install, then relaunched, and was able to get into the main game as soon as I completed the tutorial.

I suspect the "install" was a patch, and since PSN has been a bit wonky lately, that's why it took me so long.

As for the pausing, well, since I started the game I went into the options and made my game single player and I STILL can't pause it. That's just fucking stupid.

And before you say "why play this game singleplayer?" I play ALL games singleplayer. I abhor multiplayer. When I want to interact with other people I leave my house.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

The reason that tutorial is so barebones and straight forward is because it's designed to be quickly loaded and played while the game is installing. This seems to be a pretty standard thing that PS4 games will do, as well as possibly Xbox One games. Personally, I think I prefer it as opposed to just throwing a loading bar in front of you, but I can understand if you maybe think it's a bit of a waste.

Also, there is an option to play this game privately without any other human players.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason that tutorial is so barebones and straight forward is because it's designed to be quickly loaded and played while the game is installing. This seems to be a pretty standard thing that PS4 games will do, as well as possibly Xbox One games. Personally, I think I prefer it as opposed to just throwing a loading bar in front of you, but I can understand if you maybe think it's a bit of a waste.

Also, there is an option to play this game privately without any other human players.

Yeah, and you still can't pause it.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Is the game fun, though? From what I've seen, driving around and doing random objective stuff doesn't seem great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7: If you haven't played any NFS games recently, then get it. Otherwise, I dunno. It's fun but it's so multiplayer focused that it's distracting.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@depecheload: So, for reference, would one get more or less single player mileage out of it than last year's Most Wanted? I recall that game being multiplayer‐focused as well, but I did just fine never connecting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard: I never played Most Wanted. From what I've read though this seems like an even more multiplayer-focused iteration of that. It also strips out a lot of features that I feel should be standard in any game like this, you can't even customize the soundtrack. It looks great and plays fine, but the amazing acclaim its getting is baffling to me.

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

@depecheload: Hit "Options" press "R1" to tab over to settings and the CONTROLS are like the first option.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Lazy development and poor design yay.

Wow. Such anger. So assumptions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.