Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Shift

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

The first Need for Speed game developed by Slightly Mad Studios. "Shift" is an attempt at the simulation sub-genre of racing games, promising a sense of speed with new realistic effects and a new crash mechanic.

Need For Speed SHIFTs Into Hardcore Sim Territory

• 66 results
    SkadooshTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SkadooshTD

More NFS... *slits wrist for the 12th time*

MrBungle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By MrBungle

Dear EA - go buy a 3DO and a copy of the original NFS to find out what the series is supposed to represent, you assholes.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By xplodedd

doesn't look that good im gonna be honest.

PhatAtma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By PhatAtma

You need to remember that Need for Speed wasn't always about tuner cars and rice burners. The roots of the series were with real super cars from makers like McLaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini. This all started to change when the first "Hot Pursuit" game was released, and although I enjoyed the first NFS Underground, I have felt that the series was in a state of decline ever since.

I know a lot of doods out there came up on the current stuff and enjoy the tuner scene, that all well and good with me. I always felt that the earlier games were my escape into the pages of Car and Driver and less of something I could see roaming the streets on a Saturday night. Don't get me wrong either, I enjoy a good body-kit with lights and a coffee can exhaust as much as the next guy. I have just gravitated even further towards the Forza/Gran Turismo over the years

I do agree with a number of the comments above too, this has to be a quality effort. As for the car count, yea that might be an issue but it all depends on how it is handled. If there is the wealth of information available about each car it is going to appeal to those people who obsess over the details. I think it was NFS 1 on the PC and PS1 that even had videos that were mainly pointless but did show off the cars in the real world. 

I hope this becomes a return to form, back to the roots of the series. I like the idea of having the series split into different divisions, a little something for everybody. 
    Heron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Heron

I used to play NFS, but after I got really into Gran Turismo 2, that's the only racing series I've been playing ever since.
    The other franchises feel like child's play in comparisson to GT. I'm not a fanboy, I tried to play every NFS that came out in a hope that I would like it again cos' Ireally love that sense of speed, but I just couldn't. Not even Forza 2 changed my mind.
    I would really love to see NFS return to it's roots because that's the game that made me a driving  fan.

tancheese8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By tancheese8

oh for f*cks sake

DaSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By DaSoul

Haha,did anyone notice that the logo on the bottom of the image with the Zonda is the same as NFS Undercover :P

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By StarFoxA

I like the effort that EA is putting into making original and unique games (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space), but SHIFT really isn't catching my eye. I'm more of a Mario Kart guy than a Gran Turismo guy (although I do like Burnout Paradise).

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By darkjester74

If this gets NFS back to its roots, that is, of racing licensed super cars with an amazing sense of speed, then I'm definitely in.  The driving line was a good idea to steal from Forza.  Also, EA needs to drop the "pay real money to unlock everything" bullshit.  That's obnoxious.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Cheetoman

Most racing games are goin down the drain, but fuel looks like it might bring it back

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By shulinchung

Need For Speed SHITs into hardcore sim territory? LOL
    Can't say I didn't see this coming. It's EA. They used to do their best shitting in every genre.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By DukeTogo

Need for Speed began as a sim on 3DO, and it makes sense that it should return to that format.  The franchise itself does not need to be confined to one style of game, much like the Tom Clancy series covers everything from RTS to now arcade flight games, Need for Speed is a brand that can be used to have different types of driving games under it.

Having an arcade-style action game like Carbon, a sim game like Shift, the MMO game they're doing, maybe even a web-based free game like BF Heroes, all under the Need for Speed brand is really the way to go.  They just might have the balls to make Burnout a Need for Speed game as well if Criterion can't do anything about it.

As for the existence of a NFS sim being needed, the competition is there but it seems to be split.  Gran Turismo has it's core fans, but that series is hard to call a sim since it's more of a sim to the driving culture than a serious racing sim.  Forza - not to take away any of its achievements - did well in large part for being the closest thing to GT on the 360, the people that wanted a current GT but had a 360 looked at Forza and went "why not, GT5 is still years away".

I hate to say it but Project Gotham has fallen by the wayside, it just hasn't evolved much past the old Dreamcast days, it just feels like they've been making the same game with better technology and happened to stumble on Geometry Wars.  It's pretty bad when the shitty little hidden game in your racing series becomes a bigger hit than your racing series.

So does SHIFT have a shot?  I think so, GT has always been somewhat daunting at the entry level.  It has a very sterile feeling to it that can be off-putting to some.  Forza is a little more open, but it can get just as deep, with the drive line being a crutch (but a welcome one) for players not used to the idea of letting off the gas.  If it can keep the game interesting to casual racers that want a little more depth without throwing them in the deep end, but at the same time have a very deep level of simulation that awaits them when they get accustomed to it - as well as the die-hards that will jump right in - I think it could make a name for itself as the game Need for Speed always tried to be.

thegriefer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By thegriefer

I loved most wanted but carbon and pro street sucked.

dumbpeople

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By dumbpeople

Way to many sims out there im assuming you noobs mean sims like grid GT and forza those arnt sims lol you idiots there dumbed down sims well grid is about as real as any other arcade game. Hard core sims is what the tittle says, actually theres not alot of them like gtr 2 gt legends devolepers from that making this game, iracing live for speed and rfactor gtr evo there dated we want something completely new so Thank you Ea and ignoor these drongo's please who dont even know what a sim is for starters.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By calidan777
    @dumbpeople said:
    " Way to many sims out there im assuming you noobs mean sims like grid GT and forza those arnt sims lol you idiots there dumbed down sims well grid is about as real as any other arcade game. Hard core sims is what the tittle says, actually theres not alot of them like gtr 2 gt legends devolepers from that making this game, iracing live for speed and rfactor gtr evo there dated we want something completely new so Thank you Ea and ignoor these drongo's please who dont even know what a sim is for starters. "
    LOL,what?
    Anyway,at this point I'm pretty hyped for Forza 2,but GT5 needs to prove to me that it's not as antiquated as I think it is.If EA releases a demo and it's really good then I might buy it,I've always got room for excellent games.
    bnt666er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By bnt666er

Mates I dunno how about you, but I prefer NFS Shift on this biiig screen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.