Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: The Run

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Need for Speed: The Run has drivers racing coast to coast across the USA, speeding through a variety of environments along the way.

Sell Me On - Need for Speed: The Run

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I was kinda sold on Need for Speed The Run. I mean, outside of the QTE's, what could go wrong? I loved Criterion's Hot Pursuit to bits, I think DICE's Frostbite engine is the shit, and a cross country America run? That's like flippin' Cruisin' USA. Then I played the demo. It was neither fish nor fowl. Not quite arcadey enough, to feel like a true follow-up to 2010's Hot Pursuit, and not 'weighty' enough to pass for a more serious simulation (and the announced 'simulation' setting was nowhere to be found). I tried hard enough to end up liking its driving model though, and I was set to grab it come launch...

Then all the devasting reviews hit. Only 3 hours long. No replay value. Shoddily strucured. Wierd online play. Bad Autolog integration. God dammit - and that's been it for The Run. Now I still kinda want to play the game, for all the reasons I had all along. Sell me on it, as best you can. It can't be all that bad! I mean a 3 hours long campaign sounds bad on paper, but 3 hours worth of original open road? That's probably more road than there is in Gran Tourismo 5. And it is really pretty. It's essentially Cruisin' USA - it just can't be as bad as it was received!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

Does really nobody have anything nice to say about this game? Good Lord!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

I will be very surprised if anyone comes to this game's defense.

From what I saw of it, it has no major flaws or bugs; technically, you can say that it functions. But it's short, the story sounds pretty meh, and there's nothing else that makes it stand out from the crowd. There have been better Need for Speed games recently, and there are other driving games more worth your time, like the surprisingly good Driver: San Francisco.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

No. It's awful. Buy Hot Pursuit instead and only play Criterion-made arcade racing games from now on. You'll hug yourself for it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

Don't buy it. Then again, you also loved Kingdoms of Average... :P

Seriously, don't buy it.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By GoofyGoober

Go buy Hot Pursuit, Driver SF, or hell even set up cop vs robber games in Burnout paradise. Nothing good about need for speed the runs.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bell_End

the games like £14 now... how much selling does it need. just take a punt

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli
    @Bell_End said:

...more worried about my time. Then again, 3 hours? That's like climbing 20 synchronization points in an Assassin's Creed game.
    MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MegaLombax

I personally thought it was boring. The environments are nice to look at though. Apart from that, everything else is average. I have yet to finish the game, because its become such a chore to plough through.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

It's a video game and just by being on this site I think it's safe to assume you like video games. I've never played it and to be honest from what I've seen it's pretty shitty. Don't play it or buy unless you can get it for super cheap.

Avatar image for zombie_bigdaddy
    zombie_bigdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By zombie_bigdaddy

@Seppli: It's supposed to be 5 bucks at best buy tomorrow if you are still interested. At least it wouldn't be much of a loss if you don't like it.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Seppli said:
    @Bell_End said:

...more worried about my time. Then again, 3 hours? That's like climbing 20 synchronization points in an Assassin's Creed game.
    If you're playing Assassin's Creed games, then you can't be all that concerned about wasting your time.

BaZing!
    Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Snotty

I rented this for a couple of bucks for a week. It looks nice, but somehow doesnt seem all that exciting. You would think dodging through traffic at 190mph would be, yet it still manages to fall flat.

I thought the rule with the need for speed series was the same as with star trek films...you get a good one, then a bad one, then a good one. Hot pursuit was definitely a good one so....

Im gonna give the game a chance, and the multiplayer free trial. Ive got it for a week after all.

Snotty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snotty

Well I think the campaign had a few good beats, but im glad that mongoose of a game has gone. Im looking forward to what the next guys can do with the experience from the using this engine

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I recently fell back in love with racing and I was always a bit curious about The Run.

Now my curiosity can be sated because I got a copy off Amazon for 7 bucks. I would see if you could get a cheap version of it and then give it a spin. Couldn't hurt, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.