Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: The Run

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Need for Speed: The Run has drivers racing coast to coast across the USA, speeding through a variety of environments along the way.

You Got La Cross in my Beaver Valley

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Edited By kmg90

Just started playing this game last night and currently going stage 9, I've just past Beaver Valley Expressway. I noticed something eerie familiarities to a previous event in "The Run"

The Beaver Valley, PA section looked surprisingly similar to the La Crosse, Wisconsin section

And Upon further checking, they are the SAME exact tracks. Just the start and finish is swapped.

Here is the La Crosse section

and Beaver Valley section

Same shortcuts, bridges, advertisements signs, the only change? Color pallet swap and time of day.

I'm OK with reusing assets to save on cost of development and disc space but I'm not OK with reusing entire environments/tracks/maps and calling it something else

There are also other parts in the game that this issue is noticeable, in Chicago you go through the same "track" 3 times. Forwards, back and forwards again

Shame on EA, Blackbox this is worse than the Issues Undercover had, at least that game at much more content that would garnish a $60 purchase, it just was broken from the post-release patches (Still haven't been fixed, never will be)

If you are going to make another NFS EA, spend less money on Micheal Bay and Sports Illustrated cover girls and more on the game itself.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kmg90

Just started playing this game last night and currently going stage 9, I've just past Beaver Valley Expressway. I noticed something eerie familiarities to a previous event in "The Run"

The Beaver Valley, PA section looked surprisingly similar to the La Crosse, Wisconsin section

And Upon further checking, they are the SAME exact tracks. Just the start and finish is swapped.

Here is the La Crosse section

and Beaver Valley section

Same shortcuts, bridges, advertisements signs, the only change? Color pallet swap and time of day.

I'm OK with reusing assets to save on cost of development and disc space but I'm not OK with reusing entire environments/tracks/maps and calling it something else

There are also other parts in the game that this issue is noticeable, in Chicago you go through the same "track" 3 times. Forwards, back and forwards again

Shame on EA, Blackbox this is worse than the Issues Undercover had, at least that game at much more content that would garnish a $60 purchase, it just was broken from the post-release patches (Still haven't been fixed, never will be)

If you are going to make another NFS EA, spend less money on Micheal Bay and Sports Illustrated cover girls and more on the game itself.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

I've been out of the racing game loop for awhile, but don't most racing games reuse tracks like that?

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kmg90

@Ravenlight said:

I've been out of the racing game loop for awhile, but don't most racing games reuse tracks like that?

Not in the way Need for Speed the Run is presented... Both events are taking place in different states, I understand that its normal for racers to include 2 versions of one track (normal and backwards) but the way this game is setup you supposed to be traveling across the country.. Not racing the same "track" different directions.

Avatar image for thewonderwaffle
    thewonderwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thewonderwaffle

I'm also not a big fan of racing games, and it's disappointing to see assets reused so blatantly, but as a native of LaCrosse, WI I'm mostly just excited to see that it's made its way into a video game! (Although as far as I can tell there aren't any roads in the city of LaCrosse that look like that, they've got the feeling of the country roads seemingly down pretty well- but farms aren't generally positioned that closely together.)

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaolinSpade

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.