Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed

Franchise »

EA's flagship street racing series featuring many licensed cars, police pursuits, car customization, and more reboots than you can shake a stick at.

2 Need 4 Speed: is NFS Payback the Fast and Furious game some of us have been hoping for

shiftymcfargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By shiftymcfargus

Trailer here

Despite being devoid of gameplay, it's clear EA is going for the vibe of the most recent F&F movies. Main takeaways seem to be:

- Out of car action (might be in cinematics only)

- Race battling a la Burnout

- Hot pursuit and cold-dish revenge

- B-game stylings like the mid-late 00's NFS, but with less import tuning and more expensive car-ing

NFS has a lot of the ingredients in place for a good, fun, arcadey car romp: the physics and handling are fun, they've licenses the luxuriest of cars, and they are willing to cheese and ham it up. But their single-player campaigns could use so much work. I think this game has real potential to be the non-branded F&F game I've been hankering for ever since GBeast did F&F for F&F. So long as there's some restraint to the writing and ridiculousness Do you folks have hopes & reservations?

Or would you prefer another dev/publisher team to do a full on licensed F&F game? If United Front were still a thing I think I'd love to see their honest effort. I don't know how the 2006 game was received, nor how the Forza collab panned out.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BrainScratch

To be honest, I really hope not. I liked the path they were taking on the 2015 game. It had some issues, but it felt like the right way to go with Need For Speed and getting closer to the old "Underground" and "Most Wanted (2005)" vibes. I wish it kept going that direction. This trailer so far feels like it's all over the place, like a The Crew and NFS The Run. I'm getting the vibe it's doing the same jump FF did from 1,2 and Tokyo Drift to 4.

I hope I'm wrong and this one turns out to be good.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you a cop?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

The trailer even sounds like a fast and furious thing. I'm into it I guess. I haven't been super into nfs since Carbon, so this is a direction that could potentially pull me back in. I want a game that is basically fast and furious, but the characters are going to have to be good for it to work.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The trailer at least has me interested but they will almost surely do something stupid with the pc port like lock it at 30fps.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fatalbanana

I have no faith that EA knows how to make a good NfS game in 2017. I like they are going for a single player focus and not the always connected open world shit they kept trying with the last few releases. And I don't care how good the cutscenes may or may not be. If the driving/gameplay loop ain't good I'm not interested. Even though I have been waiting for a good arcade style racing game for a long time.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It gives me a lot of The Crew and NFS: The Run vibes, and that's not really a good thing. I'd love it though if they managed to hit something closer to F&F with the story/characters along with solid core driving/racing mechanics.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not Fast and the Furious if youre not a cop.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

NFS 2015 was a great new Underground, which was inspired by the first Fast and the Furious movies, so I'm interested in seeing Ghost take on modern Fast and the Furious.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They already made Need for Speed Undercover, it wasnt great unfortunately.

I actually enjoyed the last NFS game, my main problems were the lack of variety in locations and events. This looks like a more varied game but I hope the story doesnt take itself too seriously. The Crew was a fucking downer story wise and i'm getting similar vibes here. (almost like the NFS movie... okay not quite that bad)

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite need for speed is still underground 2, so I doubt this will be what im looking for.

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Will it have "pausing your game" in single player?

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21 said:

@boozak said:
    @forteexe21 said:

This was before Fast 5 so maybe that was to be expected?

That, and Black Box's twilight years with NFS. Most Wanted was the apex.

Might as well get this out of the way:

Loading Video...

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Even if its the best game ever, no

No it will not be

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

What matters above anything else in a racing game are the controls / handling. And NFS games have not done well in that regard for a very, very long time. I don't have high hopes for this thing. I don't care how wacky or FnF-like it is if it doesn't handle well.

After all, if the best portions of the game are non-interactive, why should I play it? I can just watch the best portions on YouTube.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I loved Rivals, so I just need more of that.

Mandated drift events ruined the last game for me, so let's avoid those as much as possible. Fuck, I hate drift events.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you got this?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I got more of a "The Crew" vibe than anything else if I'm being honest. I don't know what the hell to expect from this thing. I just hope it's good. =/

shiftymcfargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I really hope it's not like The Crew. That felt like a B-movie where they forgot the fun element. And added some oddly tedious open-world driving

@sravankb: curious, what arcade racers do you think have good, fun race handling?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The last NFS I played was ruined by the hundreds of DLC microtransactions within the game, everytime I found an awesome car to change in to it led me to to a DLC store page.

I just hope they won't do that again.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sravankb

@shiftymcfargus:

The Burnout games usually have pretty good handling (Burnout 3 is my favorite in that aspect)

NFS has had good handling in the past (Underground 2 was the best)

And if we're talking about something between arcade and sim - both GRID and Forza Horizon 3 have amazing handling.

None of the NFS games after Carbon have had good handling. And even Carbon was kinda meh.

emilyratt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emilyratt

@boozak said:
    @forteexe21 said:

I actually enjoyed the last NFS game, my main problems were the lack of variety in locations and events. This looks like a more varied game but I hope the story doesnt take itself too seriously. The Crew was a fucking downer story wise and i'm getting similar vibes here. (almost like the NFS movie... okay not quite that bad)

I loved Need for Speed Most wanted 2005 so badly but i had to agree with you that Undercover wan't successfully at all.

I saw NFS most wanted deal on appnaz.com but haven't tried it on Android yet. I can't make sure if it is as good as the orginal ver. Anyone of you play this game on android? Give me some review to hook into it :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.