Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed

Franchise »

EA's flagship street racing series featuring many licensed cars, police pursuits, car customization, and more reboots than you can shake a stick at.

No Need for Speed game this year?

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Pop

I just realized there's no Need for Speed game this year. They've been making a new game each year since 2002, and this year nothing? What happened? I know the last couple of Need for Speed games haven't been that great, but no announcement, nothing?

Wait, the movie came out this year, does that count?

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They are releasing a "complete edition" or whatever of Rivals.

Probably a good move to leave it till next year. The end of this year is super crowded, even in terms of racing games. I'm only going to get one, if any, and there are at least three to choose from that I know of, not counting any Xbox exclusives.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By schlorgan

The official statement from Ghost Games is:

“We’ve decided to take the time to build the game we really want to build in the next fiscal year. Looking at where the racing market now is, and looking at the Need for Speed brand, we see a pretty clear strategy of what we need to achieve. And to achieve that, we need time.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/need-for-speed-no-game-releasing-in-2014

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right call. Horizon 2, Project Cars, Drive Club, The Crew and so on. Too much noise to compete against.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@schlorgan: That's great. It means they're going to make a better game, let's hope there's some FMV in it, fingers crossed.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the Need for Speed brand even mean anything anymore, other than "car racin'?"

I guess that's all it ever meant, but you know what car game brand meant something? You know what stood out from the pack?

Burnout. Burnout was special. Yes I'm still bitter. Funk a Need for Speed.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@shindig said:

Right call. Horizon 2, Project Cars, Drive Club, The Crew and so on. Too much noise to compete against.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think we will be seeing any major racing games next year. We would have heard about an impending Gran Turismo already, I doubt that Turn 10 can come out with a new game after just two years and Need for Speed should be take on any new IP pretty easily in the stores.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.