Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 30, 2010

Puzzle Agent follows FBI agent, Nelson Tethers, as he tries to find out why the eraser factory that supplies the White House has mysteriously shut its doors.

This game is actually really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've actually owned this game on steam for years, I probably got it from a humble bundle or something. Either way, due to a Youtube video that came out yesterday (here), I was completely sold on it and tried the game myself.

The game's surprisingly good! Most of the puzzles felt fair and interesting, though jigsaw puzzles were WAY too easy, since they click into place, so you really only had to move shit around until it all clicks together. Additionally, there were a handful of puzzles where I was unsure entirely of what to do, since the rules didn't entirely make sense to me, or I interpreted them a different way and screwed myself over. There were only a few puzzles that completely stumped me, though most of the required puzzles are pretty damn easy, so if you just want to play the game for the story, then you won't have much difficulty at all.

The story was very strange, but the very quirky and strange characters gave a great Twin Peaks vibe to the entire thing. I really liked the town,.and wish the game wasn't quite so linear, so I could go ahead and explore the place more. I also wish that the characters got more screen time, since I really enjoyed them.

The game's very short, at just roughly 2-3 hours, even shorter if you just blow through the story without doing the side content. Generally I frown upon games that are THAT short, but given the fact that it's just a dollar on steam at the moment, I'd say it's worth it, plus it's a Telltale game from before they became the dramatic 'choices matter' developer they are now, so it's kind of novel in that regard.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yeah, it's a cool little Fargo puzzle game, and totally worth it at the price they ask. Granted, a full fledged Layton game has a greater quantity of puzzles, and wider variety of puzzle types, but the Layton games are also more expensive, so all-in-all, it seems fair. It's an early gag, but I really liked the opening 5 or 10 minutes, where they establish that the FBI has a department and field agent for every category imaginable. Check out Puzzle Agent 2! It wraps things up, in a really bizarre way.

Man, remember the days when TellTale had been tooling around, making Sam & Max games, and then weird little side projects like Poker Night at the Inventory and Puzzle Agent? And then OH SHIT Walking Dead flipped their whole business model on its head.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's amazing. I love the art, the puzzles are alright. Sheriff Bahg is hilarious. Too bad Puzzle Agent 2 jumped the shark.

Follow "grickle" on all the medias. The guy's name is Graham Annable and he's made a bunch of cartoons with that same art style.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a really likeable game, for sure.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yup, it's great. A compelling mix of Twin Peaks and Fargo, wrapped in a simple yet fun puzzle game. It's too bad Telltale shifted completely away from more traditional adventure games like Puzzle Agent. I'd like more games like it, but there don't seem to be many out there.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've always enjoyed Puzzle Agent, the two games were ridiculously short though...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I played a bunch of the first one, and I feel like I stopped because I was running into repeat puzzles before the game was even over. Very charming for sure though.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Love puzzle agent - easily one of my favourite iOS games (it's great on iPad). 1 is better than 2, but both are worth playing for anyone who wants something like Prof. Layton but without the whole england-via-japan thing.

Both games can be really funny too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.