Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nether

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Oct 31, 2013

Nether is an online survival first-person shooter game powered by Unreal Engine.

Anyone else playing Nether?

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sharpless

Is there really no one in the GB community talking about or playing this game? I saw a streamer playing it a couple of months back and thought it looked alright, and I just picked it up for $3 during the Steam summer sale. I was hoping to stop in and link up with other Nether players in the GB community before I fired the game up for the first time, but I guess not? Anyone out there?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Well I bought it for 3 bucks... I played for maybe 20 minutes today. There's kind of a reason it's not really being talked about. It's not terribly good! Not to say it's bad(it's kinda bad). But, I'd be willing to give it more of a shot doing something co-op. Oh, word of warning, the UI is kinda terrible. I mean, so bad it's sort of broken? Like, I will be in a shop and my character will be swapping weapons and looking around while I'm still in the menu. There's also no way to easily track quests. I also somehow bugged the tutorial to get multiple packages dropped to me so I could get tons of items from turning them in again and again (unless you're supposed to get 3-4 of the same packages and turn them all in over and over again) So yeah... If you want my opinion of the small piece that I played: it's barely worth 3 bucks. I can't imagine it gets terribly more interesting or better at all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I looked on the Steam review page and it only had negative reviews from people that put in like 6 hours into.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's bad, and the makers of it are terrible people that shouldn't be encouraged for $3 or not.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Lots of negative reviews on a platform with a community that adores anything that lets you mug other players and pick up two bullets in a public toilet. Pretty fair indicator that's it's not all that hot.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah same here, I just picked it up during the sale as well.. It certainly has some issues, but I think it has potential. I ran into a pair of french dudes in one of the safe zones and grouped up with them for a while, it was pretty fun being able to actually engage enemies and search buildings for loot - right up until we ran into some other players on our way back to the safezone and got into a firefight, anyway.

If you're looking for people to run around with feel free to add me on Steam, my user name is the same as it is here: Jojojimmeny.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time I played this, like a month ago, there was a severe problem with hackers. I mean, people who got called out on the server started namedropping a bunch of other regulars who were hacking and they were occasionally openly talking about what hacks they were using on the server chat, sometimes they even recommended websites... That's just not cool.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's bad, and the makers of it are terrible people that shouldn't be encouraged for $3 or not.

Whys that?

I was curious about this game as well. If I remember correctly, Dave Lang played it on Professional Fridays at one point. It seemed slightly interesting. Interesting enough for 3 bucks at least.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Three dollars is a decent price for Nether. I bought the game when it first went onto Early Access, and I currently have 71 hours put into it. Nether is not a good game. It has a fantastic idea of a thing buried underneath a steaming rotten pile of bad game design, UI, controls, a supremely awfully thought out micro transaction system, bugs, poor enemy design, and oh goodness the list goes on.

Here's the thing: the game recently came out of Early Access, but the game isn't finished. I believe it is still even being referred to as a "beta" by the developers. My main problem with Nether is the developers keep adding completely unnecessary features and mechanics, and are seemingly unaware of the problems with the game design, and the fact that playing the game isn't very fun.

I'm curious to see how the devs continue to butcher the game moving forward. (backwards really)

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

I was curious about this game as well. If I remember correctly, Dave Lang played it on Professional Fridays at one point. It seemed slightly interesting. Interesting enough for 3 bucks at least.

These are the same people that made war z, which had major issues beyond the game itself. These people seem to create alphas for games, reap the rewards of early access cash flow, and never complete their games or even remotely take them to the next step of development. Beyond the terrible games themselves, they have a terrible business practice.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

These are the same people that made war z, which had major issues beyond the game itself. These people seem to create alphas for games, reap the rewards of early access cash flow, and never complete their games or even remotely take them to the next step of development. Beyond the terrible games themselves, they have a terrible business practice.

Oh wow I did not know that. Very interesting.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@pie said:

@thehumandove said:

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

Oh wow I did not know that. Very interesting.

EDIT: Removed the other stuff since it seems what I added on the last edit turned out to be correct: People on the Steam community forums tend to say pretty much every game they don't like is made by the War Z people.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

Unless there is a massive conspiracy, this is actually completely untrue.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247730/discussions/0/792924952991396020/?tscn=1383075335#c792924952999860454

This game is made by Phosphor Games, who have been around since at least 2010, developing one of the activities in Kinect Adventures. Not Hammerpoint / OP, the developers of War Z.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

@thehumandove said:

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247730/discussions/0/792924952991396020/?tscn=1383075335#c792924952999860454

This game is made by Phosphor Games, who have been around since at least 2010, developing one of the activities in Kinect Adventures. Not Hammerpoint / OP, the developers of War Z.

Follow the breadcrumbs...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

These are the same people that made war z

Oh! That's all I had to read. Not buying then even for 3 bucks.

Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@sharpless: Feel free to add me on Steam. My brothers and I just started playing it recently. It feels like an Early Access game, but it's a "full release," which is kind of unfortunate, but it's still an interesting game.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/coreyw/

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And that's how erroneous information travels.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

@thehumandove said:

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

How about you follow them for us? Now you have people not buying this game because you arbitrarily said, with no evidence, that they are the same devs as the War Z devs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Nope. I've made a personal rule in that I won't buy any Survival First Person Mulitplayer things until one actually releases. For real.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#20 fisk0  Moderator

And that's how erroneous information travels.

Yeah :/ I've noticed that behaviour on plenty of Steam community pages now, somebody doesn't like a game and makes the assertion that the War Z people were involved with it. And then that story apparently takes off and make people skip the games without researching any further.

Man, I'm sure even the mention of that game, even without attributing it to the developers, just drawing comparisons to it causes that. I saw that spin out of control in the Miner Wars 2081 and Jagged Alliance: Back In Action community hubs a while ago, and while both are kinda mediocre games, neither had anything to do with Hammerpoint.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

@thehumandove said:

@kcin said:

@thehumandove said:

@handlas said:

@thehumandove said:

Whys that?

How about you follow them for us? Now you have people not buying this game because you arbitrarily said, with no evidence, that they are the same devs as the War Z devs.

You're going to have to follow the breadcrumbs yourself. Once you figure it out...you'll know. But until that time, you must explore the world on your own.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funzzo

Got for 3 bucks. Had to wait 20 mins because it hangs at the server screen. Also where the hell is the options menu? Then i pick a server and it wont let me out of spectate mode. Esc key does nothing. had to CTRL ALT DEL to get out of game. Is this way broken or am I just doing something wrong?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo is this the War Z people or not.

Oh well, regardless it sounds busted and/or hacker ridden from everything I've read about it. I guess I'd rather buy Valiant Hearts anyhow.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@handlas: No. It's developed by Ex- Midway developers. As a point of interest it's developed in America (apparently not far from where Dave Lang resides).

Good or not, it has nothing to do with the developers of War Z and Big Rigs (who are not in America).

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adam1808 said:

Lots of negative reviews on a platform with a community that adores anything that lets you mug other players and pick up two bullets in a public toilet. Pretty fair indicator that's it's not all that hot.

You have just given me a new way to interpret Steam review scores. Thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.