Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NetherRealm Studios

Company »

Formerly known as Midway's Chicago studio and WB Games Chicago, NetherRealm Studios is now the development studio responsible for the Mortal Kombat series.

After Injustice 2, what should Netherrealm work on next?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Edited By MocBucket62

Poll After Injustice 2, what should Netherrealm work on next? (170 votes)

The next Mortal Kombat 32%
    Injustice 3 7%
    Super Horror Murder Bros (Or a fighting game starring Horror film icons like Terrordrone) 15%
    A console version of WWE Immortals 20%
    A Looney Tunes Fighter (WB property) 6%
    Reboot War Gods, Obviously! 5%
    No! Reboot Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.! 4%
    Why fighters only? Bring me a new Root Beer Tapper! 4%
    Somehow work with EA and develop a a new NBA Jam or NFL Blitz again 5%
    Make a new Spy Hunter! 1%
    Make a new Rampage. I mean, there's that movie with The Rock coming out right? 5%
    Lego Mortal Kombat 10%
    A Middle Earth fighting game 5%
    Other (specify) 9%
    Show me the results 11%

So Injustice 2 on consoles will be released tomorrow, which make it NetherRealm Studio's fourth console fighter they've made. After Injustice 2, what do you think the developer should create next? Should they make another Mortal Kombat? Should they just make another Injustice right after 2? Should they work on something entirely new or dare to reboot a old Midway property?

• 
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Something new. Branch out. Make a good character action game based on a new ip. The midway fighting games dont do much for me anymore. I'd love to see them try something else at isnt forced into MK or some licensed property.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Mace: The Dark Age 2: Age Darker

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wanna see Ceasaro give a European uppercut to Orton and then see his head fly off ! To bad WWE is a PG brand :'(

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't think WWE would sell what you think it would.

Looney Toons, or War Gods.

Spy Hunter can only have The Rock, dammit.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah anything they make shouldn't require animation quality better than a 5 year old can manage, because they aren't capable of doing it. Both MKs, Injustice, and so far what I've seen of Injustice 2 shows they are incapable of animating like at a AAA level. At this point it is kind of sad...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Souls of Fighting or Skateboarding Games (tm)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ripelivejam

mortal kombat 3

seriously, though, im not a wrestling guy at all and immortals looked terrific and a bit depressing it was consigned to phones. it looked fun and inventive in ways the last, like, ten wwe games weren't.

TakyonDG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want something in the vein of Shaolin Monks but maybe a little more depth. The Armageddon single player was close but not as good. Shaolin Monks is super underrated IMO and showed that Netherrealm has chops for more than just 1v1 fighting games.

If they go back to just a MK fighting game, please put 2v2 back in. It was such a loss to lose that from MK9 to MKX and I really believed it affected the longevity of that game's casual scene. I played MK9 for YEARS with friends, while MKX only lasted a few months before all my friends were sick of playing each other.

I think the biggest mistake MKX made was including all these modes like Faction Battles, Team Battles, KOTH and others that were essentially variations of the 1v1 fight. Give me four ladders; two apiece (unranked and ranked) for 1v1 and 2v2.

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see a Shaolin Monks remake followed by a sequel.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mk vs dc sequel would be cool, or something new.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BoOzak
    @jesus_phish said:

Something new. Branch out. Make a good character action game based on a new ip. The midway fighting games dont do much for me anymore. I'd love to see them try something else at isnt forced into MK or some licensed property.

I'd like that too but those type of games dont sell very well anymore and a company like WB and Netherealm wouldnt put money into a new IP when they can slap LOTR, Batman or some other easy to market product with a broader appeal. But yeah putting aside the business that seems like the most appealing thing.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_felafel said:

This. MK has always looked stiff compared to other fighting games and this video explains why.

Also my interest in the MK story has faded after MKX sidelined most of the old crew and replaced them with cardboard cutout characters. The Kombat Kids were just lazy characterization and totally boring characters. How should we design Johnny Cage's kid? Uhhh...she's following her Mom's footsteps but she's got Johnny's personality, next. Jacki Briggs was just female Jax, and her purpose in story mode is being a romantic interest. Even their fighting styles are basically a riff on their parents.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Trilogy

I think the netherrealm fighters have awesome animations. It's always the thing that first attracts me to the game when I see one of their reveal trailers.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

As little as I care about or pay attention to current wrestling, what little I saw of that WWE iPhone game implies they'd make an awesome wrestler fighting game. As long as they could cater to my nostalgia.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Terrordome for sure!

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ivdamke

Work on perpetually slapping Capcom until they fix SFVs online infrastructure and netcode.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Yeah I know they're not the best selling games but I'd just like to see them take a crack at anything other than another fighting game. Particularly when their fighting games all feel so similar.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaolin Monks 2.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would like to see their take on a farming simulator type game.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be another fighter, probably a new MK. However, I wouldn't mind a horror/cinema fighter. I wouldn't mind another Shaolin Monks, but I don't think that'll ever happen

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Not a fighting game. Do something else for change, to gather new ideas and techniques. They can return to Mortal Kombat in 2020 or so, when it'll feel fresh again.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mems1224

Honestly, Im cool with the rotation they got going now. It would never happen but it'd be cool to see a Marvel fighting game from them. Or Id love to see another Shaolin Monks style game with new MK characters or with DC heroes.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I kinda want them to do another MK. I tried, but never managed to get into X. The wack characters killed that game for me. I spoke about a similar issue in a recent Tomb Raider thread, but X felt like them taking one too many steps in the wrong direction. X got a bit too realistic and dark (both figuratively and literally) which, in my opinion, lead to the character designs being so ass.

9 was in a near perfect spot for me all around and while I will readily admit that every woman rocking double-D's and an ass so fat you can see it from the front was a bit much, I would personally rather they turn the needle a little back in that direction. Like, MK9 was silly and dumb and outrageous in the best way possible. MKX feels like them wanting to be taken a bit too seriously for my liking.

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
    NietzscheCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaolin monks was genuinely pretty good. I was going to say MK XI but now I'm thinking more about a Middle Earth fighting game. Ok sure, Tolkien would roll in his grave but that never stopped anything before. There's a wide variety of fighting styles among the core cast that would translate well to a diverse cast of playable characters is all I'm saying. Scrawny grapplers, invisible hobbits, wizards with magic projectiles, arrow projectile guy , axe dwarf, regular sword dude, berserker orc. Throw in a 'men of the mountain ghost' and a Nazgûl and you've got something.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'd like to see them make an action game like God of War set in the Mortal Kombat universe.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By ShaggE

My first choice is MK11, but I'd also be very, very happy with them doing that rumored Terrordrome-style fighter. Gets me tingly just thinking about it.

Outside of that, I'd go for Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Mokap. We all want it, Ed Boon. Make it happen.

For real, though, when MK11 comes out, I hope they use Injustice 2's loot system. As a non-competitive player, I love shit like that.

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, it'll depend on how well Injustice 2 does, because if it does sell well, you know they'll do a third one. But, the NEXT game would likely have to be Mortal Kombat, or a new fighting game IP. They shocked the world with Injustice, who's to say that they can't do that again with some other IP?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Shaolin Monks 2 in a variant of that new engine... *drool*

An original new fighting game would be cool.

A new one with licensed characters from another property would be welcomed, like Top Cow comics or something, or maybe a Star Wars fighting game (never gonna happen).

An original RPG like what they tried with Deception would be interesting. I really loved what they tried to do with that game, and bet they could nail it a second time.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spy Hunter Nowhere to Run features The Rock and do you know what else features The Rock? The Rampage movie!

It's clear what they have to do next: a Spy Hunter / Rampage crossover game.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By DocHaus

@johnymyko: wait, that game was actually released? I thought it was just vaporware.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: It was supposed to be a tie-in to a movie that got stuck in development hell, so the game ended up releasing as a stand-alone on PS2 and Xbox.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new Shaolin Monks would be cool.

I lost all interest in the new MK after the way the story progressed in X. I would still buy one if it gets on sale, but I think it would be a waste of time and talent if the next game is yet another MK with even more new characters.

Or, since we are dreaming here, I would like them to team up with Marvel/Capcom and make the ultimate comic nerd fighting experience: Marvel vs DC...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.