Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter Nights 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 31, 2006

The sequel to Bioware's Dungeons and Dragons PC role playing game of 2002, Neverwinter Nights 2 puts the player in the role of a peasant that must realize his importance in the world through an epic adventure.

Rolling through Neverwinter Nights 2 (01) Off to a "great" start

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Not since saturday have I done so much D&D blogging
    So Neverwinter Nights 2 totally works on my computer. As someone who was interested in that game back when it initially came out, but was intimidated by the specs, I find it somewhat ironic that I tried installing it on a whim and found it entirely playable. "But this isn't an (especially) old game!" you may ask. Well, sure. It came out in 2006, so it's only like 4-5 years old. However, because of the recent influx of bloggers trying to take some of my cred, I've decided to step up my game by shamelessly detailing my pointless exploits in this CRPG for all to see. At least, that's the plan, assuming I don't get lazy or the game gets stupid, but maybe this will keep me honest (it probably won't)

So anyways, for some context allow me to say right off the bat that I really didn't like the original Neverwinter Nights. Yeah, I understand that it was more about the fan made stuff and the Hordes of the Underdark expansion was apparently alright, but as far as I cared to play the original campaign sucked in multiple ways. Maybe it was the fact that you only controlled one character with a CPU hireling of questionable intelligence. Maybe it was the super generic Bioware-ness that permeated every single fiber of the story and dialog. Or maybe it was because it was boring. That might be a reason too. I've also made my opinion on Obsidian fairly clear, in that they are clearly capable of brilliance, but they are also capable of being every other RPG developer's bitch and releasing games that are astoundingly broken at launch. So consider my initial expectations somewhat... ambivalent. 

Not pictured: Bad Camera
    And that ambivalence was sort of justified.  I decided to make a human warlock as my main dude, because I could and because for as tempting as some of the subraces are, we all know that Humans are the best. Always. In every video game. I was tempted to make a deep gnome rouge, because of how stupid that would be (for those out of the know, deep gnomes have a +3 level adjustment, meaning that the experience to level up is 3 levels higher than the actual) I started in generic peaceful village of west harbor with my generic RPG friends Bevil and Aimie. But, instead of going through the lengthy tutorial sequence that I had been through on a friend's copy (so yeah, I've played the first hour or so of this game, but that was a while ago), I skipped it. Oh noes. West Harbor is under attack. Showing the Obsidian touch right out of the gate, a scripted event that would've led to Aimie kicking the bucket didn't trigger and she weirdly stayed in my party even as I bothered to round up all the militia while also murdering the occasional grey dwarf. Then, I killed some more dudes.  

Immediately of note to me was the atrocious camera, which is kind of bad regardless of what mode you're in. I eventually made it so the camera only changes when I hold down the mouse button, which fixes some of the problem but it's still not good. Already making me miss the isometric perspective of the Infinity Engine and Temple of Elemental Evil. On another note, as far as I can tell right now the way to play a warlock is to just use eldrich blast over and over again. Unfortunately, that provokes an attack of opportunity, and your party AI isn't smart enough to make sure they don't get to me. Nonetheless, more interesting than being a fighter, I guess.

So Bevil and I were asked by my lame elf foster father to go retrieve a silver shard from the ruins, because that's what the bad guys wanted. If this ends with me being the chosen one or a sith lord brainwashed by the jedi, I'm going to be kind of bummed. So we did that. Killed some dudes. Aimie disappeared, leaving a blank portrait in the party screen. Then I bluffed the lizardmen that I was the stone god or something, because if I've learned anything its that conversation skills are always worth putting points into. Came back to town, foster father says I have to go to Neverwinter to get the other silver shard, Bevil stays and I go off to a tavern. But, lo and behold Aimie re appears in my party, only being level 1 and not gaining any experience as far as I can tell. Awesome. Free meatshield. So then I encounter a dwarf named Khelgar who couldn't be any more of a dwarf and we kill some dudes. Speaking of that, I'm having trouble adjusting to how easy this game is. You can rest anywhere, if you die in combat you get up afterwards no penalty, and dudes usually don't one shot you. 

And that's pretty much where I stopped. Hopefully my later blogs will be a little shorter, but this game doesn't seem awful, as far as I can tell. We'll see. It's only been around an hour but this game hasn't done much to wow me yet. Probably more tomorrow.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    So Neverwinter Nights 2 totally works on my computer. As someone who was interested in that game back when it initially came out, but was intimidated by the specs, I find it somewhat ironic that I tried installing it on a whim and found it entirely playable. "But this isn't an (especially) old game!" you may ask. Well, sure. It came out in 2006, so it's only like 4-5 years old. However, because of the recent influx of bloggers trying to take some of my cred, I've decided to step up my game by shamelessly detailing my pointless exploits in this CRPG for all to see. At least, that's the plan, assuming I don't get lazy or the game gets stupid, but maybe this will keep me honest (it probably won't)

So anyways, for some context allow me to say right off the bat that I really didn't like the original Neverwinter Nights. Yeah, I understand that it was more about the fan made stuff and the Hordes of the Underdark expansion was apparently alright, but as far as I cared to play the original campaign sucked in multiple ways. Maybe it was the fact that you only controlled one character with a CPU hireling of questionable intelligence. Maybe it was the super generic Bioware-ness that permeated every single fiber of the story and dialog. Or maybe it was because it was boring. That might be a reason too. I've also made my opinion on Obsidian fairly clear, in that they are clearly capable of brilliance, but they are also capable of being every other RPG developer's bitch and releasing games that are astoundingly broken at launch. So consider my initial expectations somewhat... ambivalent. 

And that ambivalence was sort of justified.  I decided to make a human warlock as my main dude, because I could and because for as tempting as some of the subraces are, we all know that Humans are the best. Always. In every video game. I was tempted to make a deep gnome rouge, because of how stupid that would be (for those out of the know, deep gnomes have a +3 level adjustment, meaning that the experience to level up is 3 levels higher than the actual) I started in generic peaceful village of west harbor with my generic RPG friends Bevil and Aimie. But, instead of going through the lengthy tutorial sequence that I had been through on a friend's copy (so yeah, I've played the first hour or so of this game, but that was a while ago), I skipped it. Oh noes. West Harbor is under attack. Showing the Obsidian touch right out of the gate, a scripted event that would've led to Aimie kicking the bucket didn't trigger and she weirdly stayed in my party even as I bothered to round up all the militia while also murdering the occasional grey dwarf. Then, I killed some more dudes.  

Immediately of note to me was the atrocious camera, which is kind of bad regardless of what mode you're in. I eventually made it so the camera only changes when I hold down the mouse button, which fixes some of the problem but it's still not good. Already making me miss the isometric perspective of the Infinity Engine and Temple of Elemental Evil. On another note, as far as I can tell right now the way to play a warlock is to just use eldrich blast over and over again. Unfortunately, that provokes an attack of opportunity, and your party AI isn't smart enough to make sure they don't get to me. Nonetheless, more interesting than being a fighter, I guess.

So Bevil and I were asked by my lame elf foster father to go retrieve a silver shard from the ruins, because that's what the bad guys wanted. If this ends with me being the chosen one or a sith lord brainwashed by the jedi, I'm going to be kind of bummed. So we did that. Killed some dudes. Aimie disappeared, leaving a blank portrait in the party screen. Then I bluffed the lizardmen that I was the stone god or something, because if I've learned anything its that conversation skills are always worth putting points into. Came back to town, foster father says I have to go to Neverwinter to get the other silver shard, Bevil stays and I go off to a tavern. But, lo and behold Aimie re appears in my party, only being level 1 and not gaining any experience as far as I can tell. Awesome. Free meatshield. So then I encounter a dwarf named Khelgar who couldn't be any more of a dwarf and we kill some dudes. Speaking of that, I'm having trouble adjusting to how easy this game is. You can rest anywhere, if you die in combat you get up afterwards no penalty, and dudes usually don't one shot you. 

And that's pretty much where I stopped. Hopefully my later blogs will be a little shorter, but this game doesn't seem awful, as far as I can tell. We'll see. It's only been around an hour but this game hasn't done much to wow me yet. Probably more tomorrow.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

I remember playing this game not too long ago. I was an Aasimar Paladin. 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

Good luck mate. I have been somewhat interested in NW2, but I didn't love the first one and my time with the second was not great. It still uses the spells per day system, right? That, for me, just does not work in a video game. But maybe it's just Neverwinter Nights, maybe it's a great system in the Baldur's Gate games(I would not know, having not played those).

I have also heard that NW2's default campaign, much like the first game's, is really mediocre and it does not get awesome until the expansion. But maybe I'm full of shit. Hope you have fun with it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, how do you convince lizards that you're a stone god? Did you throw rocks at them? Or did you also convince the developers that this is an Avatar RPG, giving you earthbending powers? I'd pick the former, obviously.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

You using any mods? Cus you can make the game slightly less ugly with mods. Also I thought I read somewhere about someone remaking NWN2 in Dragon Age. I might be mistaken. I know someone's remaking Icewind Dale.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King:  You pick the option that has [Bluff] in brackets and hope that your character has a good enough bluff skill. Being that Warlocks already need Charisma, it wasn't hard. But Lizardmen are dumb, and so telling them that I am the representative of the stone god makes sense. Probably. On a sort of related note, one of the races you can pick are the Earth Gensai (humans with elemental lineage. Obviously Fire Water and Air are also available), who could probably pretend to be the stone god. Except they get a penalty to charisma. 

@Beforet: Well, spells per day makes more sense in a Pen and Paper setting than an arbitrary number of spell points, but I've played enough of these kinds of games to not really notice. If anything, its the fact that wizards have to pick what spells they memorize each day in comparison to sorcerers who can cast whatever they want from their limited spell pool that annoys me, considering that one is obviously better than the other in the context of a video game where you probably will be casting Fireball most of the time anyways. 

@extremeradical: I find D&D Paladins to be boring, but maybe that's just me. It partially has to do with them only being allowed to have Lawful Good alignment, and partially because they don't have any cool special abilities (lay on hands? Really?). Nonetheless, considering pretty much every D&D game always has an amazing weapon only usable by Paladins, I'm not adverse to having one in my party.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @ArbitraryWater: 

I still don't understand how that works. I tried it in other games, but the characters would just look at me and say, "Why didn't you specialize in combat? It's what everybody does. Who the hell wants to talk?" This is where I'd make a joke about those games, but I just found out that Shadowrun didn't really have much in the way of dialogue, so I'm fucked.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By yinstarrunner

I played through this the first time recently, too.  I just finished the main campaign a few weeks ago and I'm now working on Mask of the Betrayer.

If you hate generic fantasy stories, you're definitely going to hate this one.  It gets a little more interesting by the end of the second act, but not interesting enough for me to call it compelling.

I agree that it is too easy.  I used to play 3.5 D&D with some friends a lot, so I went in on the "Hardcore (full D&D ruleset)" mode, fully expecting to get my ass stomped.  Resting anywhere does indeed make the game too easy, though for some reason in the final dungeon of the game it makes it so that monsters spawn about half the time you try to rest.  That was really the only minorly difficult part of the game for me.  Otherwise, it was just "rest after every few battles, have my mage buff the FUCK out of everyone, steamroll entire armies."  I played as a half-elven arcane archer, BTW.

HOWEVER, I would recommend that you stick with it.  Why?  Because a neat sort of mechanic gets introduced at the mid-game that's a nice change of pace and transitions into the endgame pretty well.  Also because if you complete the main campaign, then you can directly import your character into the Mask of the Betrayer expansion (which is a direct sequel to the main storyline).

Let me tell you,  Mask of the Betrayer is something else.   I'm only a few hours in, but I can see why people would praise it so highly already.  The story is already seeming leagues more interesting than the main game, and it's kicked my ass quite a few times (though that might change after I get more party members).  The characters you meet seem vastly more interesting than the cookie-cutter stereotypes of the main game, and you can actually see the numerical value of how much influence you have with them! 

Unfortunately, the controls aren't fixed.  Fortunately, I've gotten kind of used to them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that resting is fixed in MotB too.  If you try to rest in a dungeon there will be a good chance that monsters will interrupt you in your sleep.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By endaround

Speech skills are really important in this game which has the effect of greatly favoring Charisma based classes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Video_Game_King:  Well, the way D&D skills work means that I get like 5 per level (2 from class, 2 from intelligence bonus, 1 from being a human). That means that I pretty much have enough skill points to invest in 2 of the 3 dialog skills and still have some left over for lore, concentration, and spellcraft, which are all semi-necessary skills to have as a magic dude. But in games where the choice is between being better at shooting someone and being better at talking? I prioritize the first one. 

@ryanwho: No mods. My computer probably couldn't take advantage of them if I tried. And I would play a remake of Icewind Dale in the Dragon Age engine.
    Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#11  Edited By Mento  Moderator

It's an inspirational blog. Not because I didn't want to try NWN2 before your early impressions but because I didn't think my 2.66GHz piece of junk could run it. Now I'm considering picking it up the next time a Steam Sale comes along (though its current price tag of fifteen britbux isn't exactly breaking the bank either).

Oh right, I can't let a reply to an AW blog go by without recommending you try a painfully mediocre D&D-type game. Menzoberranzan? Ooh, or that Death Gate point-and-click.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Raven10

I never was too interested in Neverwinter Nights, and as you've noted, their games can be rather broken.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @yinstarrunner:  Consider me intrigued... even though it's going to be another 20+ hours before I get to see any of Mask of the Betrayer (or Storm of Zehir, I guess. That's the one that tries to be like Icewind Dale, right? Should be fun to shit talk on that one). But I've already started playing this game as part of the crazy D&D bender that started when I played Baldur's Gate for the first time last year, and I don't want to play another pure hack 'n slash right now, so I will probably continue playing. Icewind Dale 2 can wait. 

@endaround: Good to know, considering that I am playing as a Charisma based class. 

@Mento: Yeah, it's hard for me to remember that there were a bunch of D&D games pre BG, and not all of them were great. It's a pity that most of them will probably never be re-released due to licensing issues, because I wouldn't mind taking a look at the Pool of Radiance series. What made Menzoberranzan so bad, if I may ask?
    Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#14  Edited By Mento  Moderator
    @ArbitraryWater:  It wasn't too bad, really. Just kind of meh. I think the four-directional first-person dungeon-delver format was starting to feel its age by then (before the GBA/DS resurrected it and it took off again for whatever reason). Though come to think of it I loved the first Lands of Lore which is almost the same thing that came out just a year earlier. I guess I'm just capricious like that.

I'll tell you another mixed-reaction game of that genre that I kind of enjoyed: The Japanese version of Wizardry for PS2. Man, that game had a weird atmosphere. First-person, with pre-generated dungeons and JRPG trappings and everything, but really had that Mysterious Dungeon/old-school Wizardry vibe. Like an unkillable Reaper that came after you if you dawdled, or people turning into ash occasionally when you tried raising them from the dead.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

Remembered enjoying the first NWN, but could only get so far into this one due to the story. Can't recall where I stopped with NWN2 though always been impressed with NWN series on character construction & working the game with the D&D ruleset.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Skald
    @ArbitraryWater: Paladins have always been a bit boring, but I like them. I've always found them to be a more intriguing alternative to all the straight-up warrior classes of most RPGs.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

The vanila NW2 is kind of tepid imo.
    There are some nice moments, like your castle management, some good fights and trial. But that's about it.
    Mask of Betrayer is ... awesome. Especially if you are an evil asshole, you REALLY get to swing your dick around. (not sexualy)

First Neverwinter had the same issue of main campaign being just OK and the expansion being better.

PS: Warlocks are fucking boring.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Tordah

I've played through about half of NWN1, but got bored of the combat. I made a fighter/tank (as I usually tend to do in RPGs if given the choice), which in retrospect I think was a mistake. I don't know if any other classes would've been more fun to play as, but the fighter has to be the worst.

None of the skills available seem to really do anything or be of any use at all so it ended up feeling like a turn-based Diablo with dice rolls. You click on an enemy once and wait for your character to do his swing animations and eventually kill it. Then repeat about a million times. The only strategy involved in the combat was trying to not get surrounded and running to safety for healing every now and then.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Punk1984

You're a braver man than I. After beating NWN1 and its two expansions, I thought I would try NWN2. I installed it, played it for three hours, uninstalled it, sold it on ebay and started drinking to erase my memory of it. I love DnD, and I love DnD in PC games but this thing was just awful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.