Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Purchase Incentives

Concept »

New Purchase Incentives is a business strategy established by publishers to encourage consumers to buy games new. It is also primarily used as a means of profiting from used game sales where they otherwise could not.

Online Passes Can Expire

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By apathylad

I saw this story up on Destructoid, in which Jim Sterling writes that a NeoGaf user had trouble redeeming his online code for the Greatest Hits version of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. As more users commented on the thread, it was said that these Online Passes have an expiration date, which was news to many NeoGaf users. I certainly didn't know that these passes expire, and it makes me wonder if this is widespread, or just an EA thing. Anyway, I'm interested in finding out if anyone has noticed expiring Online Passes in other video games.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

I haven't had any problems, my most recent online pass was Dante's Inferno a month ago, but if this is true I will not be buying Hot Pursuit anytime soon. Shame because I saw it for cheap at my local Best Buy and wanted to pick it up.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

it's never happened to me, but i don't see why they would even want to expire online passes. maybe it was just a bad code..?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Karl_Boss

I've entered codes that expired years ago and they still worked.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Samaritan

Sounds like, from a Joystiq article, that this only pertains to very specific EA games (So far). Still a disturbing trend nonetheless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.