Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

Beat it in 1 Sitting on Day 1

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

I haven't beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii yet, but I'm on the last World, about to. 

Kinda just wanted to take a breather and surf the net, before I make my final go at it.  Also, I'm kinda sad that it was so easy, especially when I read it was supposed to be all hard and stuff.  

Wish they had Veteran Mode like in Modern Warfare 2 (which I still have to beat the last 2 levels of that game, for 100% Veteran Mode completion).

Who else is in my same boat and feeling slightly underwhelmed by this game? 

EDIT:  I beat it a few hours ago, but have to say I am enjoying going back through collecting all the Star Coins... at least final Boss/ending was kinda cute with a couple of nice surprises.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Have mario games ever been hard? Just simple and fun.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's that short? Jesus...

It's really meant to be enjoyed with friends but that is really really short. How many hours did you clock up?

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By rallier

Easy...? This game has been far from easy for me, it took me 12 lives to beat 2-2 for example. 

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Luke
    @eroticfishcake: About 4 hours.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Kbm600

I think it's nice fun. Just played through a few levels with a friend. Hard to play it with anyone who gets easily pissed about games though, so I might just go through it myself.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Luke: Yeesh. You're either fast, good or both. But like Dany said, it's all bout fun and simplicity. Still, 4 hours doesn't really justify that much.

I'm still buying this game though.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

Am I correct in assuming you skipped worlds using cannons and such?

I find it hard to believe you beat every level from all 8 worlds in 4 hours.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

Luke, you cannot be considered the "standard" for Mario players.  You excel at it, sir.  Therefore, take your 4 hours...multiply that by 3...and that's a more realistic idea amongst these other folks out there. 

Besides, the first game can be beaten in, what, 11 minutes with warps?  Meh.  4 hours is just fine.

JamesKond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By JamesKond

Get some friends, you ;p

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Luke

Well, I did find the Warp from an early level to World 5, completely by accident (I won't say where exactly, as to not say any spoilers) and I just rolled with it, but I'm guessing this game is like a 5 or 6 hour game, on average.  I wonder what the speed run times are gunna turn-out to be? 

Anyway, I will be going back through and try to get all the Star Coins and what-not... maybe play trough again with the girlfriend in co-op, but dang-nabit, Mario games need like 20 Worlds now-a-days, I say :p 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

I've really been enjoying the game but yea it's a pretty easy Mario side scroller.  It's nowhere near as hard as the early Mario games, Mario 3, World or any of those.  Overall I really like the game though, I feel like they got most everything right.  I've also played some 2 player and that was a ton of fun too.  It's definitely my Wii GOTY 2009.  As far as it goes I enjoy the single player content of NSMBW more than MW2.  MW2 replaying SP is just a matter of playing on a harder difficulty, while NSMBW has a ton of secrets, which I am interested in finding and playing myself.  Obviously MW2 is about the online MP though, so you can't compare.

My friend was able to handle coop play just fine, which makes me think the game will be easy for most everyone, but it's still a really fun ride.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

4 players dude.  Do it.  Record it.  Post it.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By jeff
    @Luke: Yeah, the game doesn't seem all that long and all the tough stuff is for people who want to collect every coin. Or they're playing multiplayer, which is sort of inherently harder since you have to deal with other people. I ended up finishing the game with something like 80 lives. 

Finishing up the review now, kind of torn on the score, though. I really like what it does, it just sort of doesn't do enough of it.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rallier

Looks like i am the only one here who is having a tough time with it single player.

@Jeff said:

Or they're playing multiplayer, which is sort of inherently harder since you have to deal with other people.
    I somewhat disagree, in multiplayer if one of the player dies he gets in the bubble and the other can revive him or pass the an obstacle and then revive him whereas in single player as soon as you die it is level over. But i guess that if you are playing with people who bumb into you all the time it becomes harder.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ

I wonder how long it'd take to collect all 3 coins on each level. I didn't bother moving on in NSMB DS on my first play through until I had reached each coin.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rallier
    @AgentJ said:
    " I wonder how long it'd take to collect all 3 coins on each level. I didn't bother moving on in NSMB DS on my first play through until I had reached each coin. "
    Quite a while probably. Some of the coins are extremely well hidden and other are extremely hard and  hazardous to go after. It is a shame that there is no real initiative other then the unlockable videos that i know of to get them all.
    erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By erinfizz
    @Rallier: 

I would also say multiplayer is harder. Playing 2 player is making both my bf and I nuts, we're both good at Mario, but we get in each others' way.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Luke
    @Jeff: Nice! I'm looking forward to reading it... wish I could write "good" reviews myself :p 

BTW, I beat the game a few hours ago, but have to say I am enjoying going back through collecting all the Star Coins... at least final Boss/ending was kinda cute with a couple of nice surprises.  
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By mordecaix7

I was never that good of a mario player to begin with so i'm enjoying the challenge.  Once i've played the level a few times it's of course a little easier but it's managed to charm me.  I'm just happy as a clam playing a new 2d mario on a tv screen.  It feels like christmas all over again getting my Super NES and playing Super Mario World for the first time. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Luke said:
    " @eroticfishcake: About 4 hours. "
    =( damn.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Metroid545

well the multiplayer probably multiplies that 4 hours by 5 which is one of the main reasons i'm getting it

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Luke
    crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By crushed

Am I the only one who thought Mario World was a really easy game (then again, I never really thought World was that great of a Mario either)? 

Outside of those special levels like Tubular, World was a cakewalk. Even Mario 3, which seemed so hard when you played it as a kid, if you go back and play it today you'll breeze right through it with barely any problems.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Mushir

Dude the game is aimed at the hardcore AND the casual. If they made the game crazy hard, the casual players wouldn't be able to play through it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By TheHBK

So you beat every level and it takes only 4 hours?  Super Mario World to go through the long way is much longer.  I dont know why Nintendo and other companies insist on using 3D graphics sometimes.  The game could have looked much better, maybe even been in 720p if they wanted, if they had done 2d sprites.  I suppose using 3d might be easier for the animation so that they dont have to draw every sprite animation. I dont know, but i suppose this is the way things are.  You dont see Mario art work without him being 3d instead of being hand drawn.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scooper

I beat the original super mario bros. in like 10 mins because I used warp pipes and skipped most levels. So did you. If you played through every single level I'm sure it would be more then 1 sitting.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Luke
    @Scooper: On my first play-through, I did use the Warp to World 5, right from the start... just because I so happened upon it completely by accident.  I played through the game just on my own personal power, without using any other resource (i.e. Internet or Strategy Guide).  It took me 5 hours. 

After beating it, I then went through and did the rest of the Worlds (not levels per say, as many are skippable) and that was maybe another 3 to 4 hours. 

9 hours is totally 1 sitting.  Heck, I think I didn't even barely move at all for like almost 48 hours straight playing through Borderlands :p 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scooper
    @Luke: Whoa. I can't play games for that long any more. As I've gotten older my attention span for games has gotten shorter. It's kind of wierd but I'm glad.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By JJWeatherman

I've sat down to play it in a couple of sessions so far and i'm at the end of world 1.....

maybe i'm just slow?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.