Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

For those that have Already Finished it (SPOILERS)

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

World 9 is awesome and I love the requirements needed to get into each stage (collecting all 3 Star Coins per Level per World). 

If this World wasn't in the game, I'd frankly be pissed about my purchase, because spending Star Coins for the stupid stuff in the Castle is just lame.  

Who else is going through World 9 and how's it coming?! 

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By jeff

I sort of wish there was more to it. It's nice to have something else to shoot for, but I don't much care for the star coin stuff in the first place, so having to go back and get those isn't much fun to begin with, and the world 9 levels aren't so mindblowing that it makes all that extra work feel worthwhile. 

Guess I just wish the game was longer and more difficult.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Luke
    @Jeff: Please man, don't crush my hopes... I just spent 50 bones on a 5 hour game, with no real "Achievements" to work on :'(  

Duped by the Big N, yet again, I suppose. 
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Jeff said:
    " I sort of wish there was more to it. It's nice to have something else to shoot for, but I don't much care for the star coin stuff in the first place, so having to go back and get those isn't much fun to begin with, and the world 9 levels aren't so mindblowing that it makes all that extra work feel worthwhile.  Guess I just wish the game was longer and more difficult. "
    I know what you mean in Super Princess Peach there was three toads to collect in every level. I collected maybe about half of them just going through the game. Then to play the last level you had to have EVERY FUCKING TOAD. Let's just say I never finished that game.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @Luke said:

I like that there's motivation to get the 3 star coins in each level, but man that's a lot of looking and searching and not finding stuff just to unlock each level, I don't think I could stand it.  I wish it was more of a matter of challenge than searching.  I unlocked the World 1 all 3 star coin level and it was easy & not a great level, so I don't think I'll be really motivated to unlock others.

I didn't use any warp cannons in my single player play through of the game, but there's still a few levels I didn't bother completing, so at some point I'll at least play through those.

I feel like the levels and the amount of levels were mostly fine for a 2D Mario game, if only the game was harder it'd be easier to think of exactly equivalent of the old Mario games, other than those being more innovative and pushing tech more for their time.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

I'm traditionally not very good at Mario games.  Not "Save me, Super Guide!" terrible at them, but the only Mario sidescroller I've ever actually beaten was Super Mario Land.  Somehow, I think it'll take me significantly longer than five hours to even see World 8.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Luke
    @Diamond: Yeah, I'm starting to feel you, unfortunately. 

@Hailinel:

The last two 2D games that I literally played were Klonoa and Muramasa (which both happen to also be on the Wii), where I completed every single challenge mode on Klonoa and I also beat Shigurui Mode on Muramasa (1 hit = instant death), with Kisuke... so, I had complete and utter 2D zen + training, just before New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  I swear I musta got up and screamed a bunch of times (nearly throwing my Wiimote) after dying a good 50+ times in a row trying to complete just 1 challenge room in Klonoa.  Muramasa was hard, and I died a lot (maybe thousands of times) but it never got frustrating for some reason.  Muramasa kinda gets into Megaman territory, where it just comes-down to kinda memorizing the Bosses, as half the regular battles are random and you just level-up on the safe ones using exploits.  Maybe you just need to do some intense 2D training :p 

Anyway, now I'm just blabbing.  New Super Mario Bros. Wii was a cakewalk times 999,999 in comparison to these 2 beasts.  I don't think I even died more than 4 times in any level in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  I beat the final level in 2 tries, which is just inexcusable.  They should had made this HARDER than Super Mario Bros. 3.  Nintendo should have looked at those YouTube Videos of people hacking Super Mario Bros. 1/2/3/World, where the levels are near impossible/take 50+ lives to complete, and copy'd that.  That's what I hope Nintendo does when they make a game called "Super Mario Bros. 4"  

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    @Jeff said:
    " Guess I just wish the game was longer and more difficult. "
    I guess I'm not hardcore enough for Super Mario Bros. games, then. I never did play much of the 2D Marios back in the day, and I'm finding this game very difficult and highly death-inducing. At least in the multiplayer where everyone is constantly in everyone's way. (Not a bad thing, multiplayer is great. Just seems more difficult to me)
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By mordecaix7
    @Diamond said:
    " I like that there's motivation to get the 3 star coins in each level, but man that's a lot of looking and searching and not finding stuff just to unlock each level, I don't think I could stand it.  I wish it was more of a matter of challenge than searching.  I unlocked the World 1 all 3 star coin level and it was easy & not a great level, so I don't think I'll be really motivated to unlock others. "
    The star coins can be hard to find, but they give you a hint.  If you know the location of the first and third star coins, you know the second star coin has to be directly in between those two.  It leaves the middle one blank for a reason.  It's so you can know the general location of the next star coin.

So if you have the first two, the third star coin is obviously past where you found the second one.  Race to the second one and start searching past that.  It's not easy but knowing that is at least helpful.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

Just finished the game and will try to get all the Star Coins like I did in New Super Mario Bros. for DS.  I loved the final boss.  Though it was easy, like all the other bosses, it was pretty epic with an awesome song to along with it.  I'm also on the same boat with Jeff.  I wish there were more levels and it's not as difficult as people say it was.  A great game though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @Luke: Right, because obviously fans of Mario games want the platformers to be more infuriating than an Itagaki-designed Ninja Gaiden title.
    thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By thebobster10

I am currently attempting at getting all star coins for worlds 2-8. Got all of 'em in world 1. Most of the levels for the rest of the game are pretty hard to get. This is gonna take me a while. However I did beat level one of star world and it was pretty cool :) got all star coins in that one. It was surprisingly easy.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By JonathanMoore

I got all the Star Coins going through the game anyway so by the time I was at World 9, I had unlocked all the levels. I am currently trying to get the last 2 levels Star Coins, it's im-fucking-possible at this point in time, maybe it's because I'm just really frustrated... I dunno.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Bluethunder35

I don't have the patience at my age. I beat the game and that's good enough. I have to move on. Took me a whole month to conquer this puppy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.