Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

Super Guide

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

So I'm curious to know about this mechanic, is it a pre-recorded demo of the level that someone finished, or does the AI actually finish the level such that it does it differently and responds to environmental threats correctly each time? 

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fbomb
    @Geno said:
    " So I'm curious to know about this mechanic, is it a pre-recorded demo of that someone finished, or does the AI actually finish the level such that it does it differently and responds to environmental threats correctly each time?  "
    AI. Nintendo patented the technology behind it for NSMB Wii
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I think it's a pre-recorded Luigi who beats the level for you.  I think that's how it works.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105

1. Lose 8 times.

2. A green block appears, hit it.

3. Luigi comes out and shows you how to beat the level.

4. You can now play the next level!

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By rallier

It is a AI character that runs a pre-defined route since the level always starts the same every time and the enemies walk predefined paths.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

To be specific, the paths Luigi runs when using the Super Guide were runs recorded by the developers at Nintendo.  They are not "perfect" runs in that they will not collect every coin and uncover every secret in the level, but rather take the most direct path to the goal.  Once the Super Guide run is complete, you have the option to either continue on to the next stage, or try the stage again yourself using the knowledge gleaned from watching Luigi as a sort of strategy guide.  You may also take control of Luigi at any point during the Super Guide run through a level, but once you do you cannot give control back to the game.

And as stated previously, the option to use the Super Guide only presents itself if you have died eight times on a single stage.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

I am a bit disappointed in this, actually. When I first heard of Nintendo's patent, I was as irritated as everyone else. But the idea of switching to a "watch this game played" mode at any time very much grew on me. Not necessarily for a Mario platformer, but in general: Bein able to sit back and watch gameplay footage of a game you're into at any time. Maybe grab a snack. Or surf a bit while the game plays itself. Jump back in at any time if you feel like taking control. 
    All optional, of course. No, I would have liked that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.