Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

Yoshi

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Ive noticed on the cover the dudes are riding yoshis. However i havent seen any in game and no ones talked about it. Also its a super mario bros game, not world. so yea are yoshis/is yoshi in it?      

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

in the gametrailers review they said there were and showed video footage of it, but they said it was rare.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Watch the quicklook. Jeff explains only 3 levels have Yoshi in them and you can only use him(her? (it?)) in those levels.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower
    @JeffGoldblum:  That's a bummer =/
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dalai

I've encountered Yoshi in 2 levels so he exists.  I was never a big fan of Yoshi so less Yoshi is fine with me.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Watch the quicklook. Jeff explains only 3 levels have Yoshi in them and you can only use him(her? (it?)) in those levels. "
    hmm i have watched it and dont remember that.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DanielJW
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " Watch the quicklook. Jeff explains only 3 levels have Yoshi in them and you can only use him(her? (it?)) in those levels. "
    Doesn't it strike you as sneaky that they'd put Yoshi on the cover when he only appears in a very small percentage of levels?
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @DanielJW said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    Doesn't it strike you as sneaky that they'd put Yoshi on the cover when he only appears in a very small percentage of levels? "
    The whole game feels that way. It is just constant "HEY REMEMBER THIS! YOU LIKED THIS IN THE 80's RIGHT? RIGHT???" moments. 
    They try and shove in so many references nothing is allowed to be expanded upon or grow.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By DanielJW
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @DanielJW said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    Doesn't it strike you as sneaky that they'd put Yoshi on the cover when he only appears in a very small percentage of levels? "
    The whole game feels that way. It is just constant "HEY REMEMBER THIS! YOU LIKED THIS IN THE 80's RIGHT? RIGHT???" moments.  They try and shove in so many references nothing is allowed to be expanded upon or grow. "
    Sounds like Nintendo being more or less like Nintendo. Though I am getting this game and I'm sure I'll love it, I do wish they'd try something new with Mario. Super Mario Galaxy was a step in the right direction of innovating in some way. Again though, with Mario Galaxy 2, all that I really see new there is the addition of Yoshi. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

You can't take Yoshi's from one level into another, and Jeff is right there aren't many Yoshi's.  It's a shame because Yoshi feels very right in the game and he even has a bit more depth to him this time around.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Dalai said:
    " I've encountered Yoshi in 2 levels so he exists.  I was never a big fan of Yoshi so less Yoshi is fine with me. "
    This just in: Dalai hates yoshis, puppies, and children. Also, there is now more proof on the existence of monsters in the real world.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@DanielJW said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    When Jeff said that he was only halfway through the third world. Right now I'm right where he was and I've seen three or four levels with Yoshi also, including one where he was kinda hard to get to and I missed him on my first run though. I have no reason to believe there won't be more. 

It is kind of a bummer that you can't take him with you when you beat a level though. I assume Nintendo didn't want to have to balance the entire game for the possibility of the player having taken a Yoshi from another level so they kept him confined to certain areas.... Being able to do that made SMW pretty easy compared to other games in the series, Blue Yoshi in particular makes 90% of that game a cakewalk.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Willy105

Yoshi is in the game, but only in certain levels designed for him. Miyamoto said it was because the Yoshi type gameplay contradicted with the other new gameplay they added to the game, so they kept him isolated. Which is disappointing. However, Mario Galaxy 2 seems to have Yoshi in full force.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By mordecaix7

I never did use yoshi much either so I don't mind.  I tend to get killed more often with yoshi than without. 

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadowKing7

Damn, that's a shame.  I've always liked Yoshi and was hoping to get to use him in gameplay in this game like in SMW.
    GamersChair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GamersChair

I like Yoshi but I don't love Yoshi (he never buys me flowers) so I'm glad he's in the game but restricted. Perhaps a few more Yoshi levels would have been nice though.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By JonathanMoore

Yoshi doesn't need to be used in every level, I'm quite happy with just three levels of Yoshi.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.