Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Xbox Experience

Concept »

The New Xbox Experience, or NXE, overhauled the Xbox 360's dashboard, released on November 19th, 2008. A new "Metro" dashboard was released on December 6th, 2011.

Well... This is a dashboard alright...

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies
    Welcome to the dashboard. Wait! DON'T LOAD UP THAT GAME! I'VE CHANGED! I HAD THAT SURGERY YOU WANTED! I can't really actually do anything new, but I look nice! Sure, run away to your Gears of War 2 and don't ever use me again except to buy crap from the Marketplace. See if I care.
    Welcome to the dashboard. Wait! DON'T LOAD UP THAT GAME! I'VE CHANGED! I HAD THAT SURGERY YOU WANTED! I can't really actually do anything new, but I look nice! Sure, run away to your Gears of War 2 and don't ever use me again except to buy crap from the Marketplace. See if I care.
    So today marked the official release of the NXE (Although Microsoft has been slipping it out to large amounts of people before the fact), and I can safely say it lived up to my expectations.

Which were that it would be a dashboard. From which you can launch your games. And sometimes buy overpriced content. To play in your games. Which do not use the dashboard.

Suits are snappy
    Suits are snappy
    I almost have to marvel at the cunning Microsoft exhibited here. They really managed to get you people riled up about the DASHBOARD. Who really uses the dashboard all that much anyways? Pop game in, load game up, play game. Minimal time, if any, at the dashboard. This new Dashboard is pretty much the same. Slightly improved system speed, a new look, and Miis are all we got, and yet Microsoft somehow turned this into a big event. It was quite skillfully executed.

They essentially took a UI update, and inflated it to the status of a big game launch. Take a look around the dashboard. Five of the seven channels you've got exist to advertise or sell you things directly. And they couldn't even put the two useful tabs next to each other, forcing you to navigate between several layers of advertising to move between the My Xbox tab (which is where anything useful is at), and the pretty, but inefficient Friends tab. Most of the useful functionality is packed into the ONE My Xbox tab, while five other channels exist for no other reason than Microsoft needs to lift the revenue from XBL sales and advertising.

The effect. It is lost.
    The effect. It is lost.
    You're excited about having the amount of advertising in front of you INCREASE. You're excited about a UI update for a console that people rarely use the base UI on anyways. You're excited for Miis that don't even appear in many games (Unless you're into Kingdom for Keflings I guess). You're excited to have your existing themes obscured by the new coverflow system.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine UI update, but that's ALL it is. You've been played as fools by Microsoft into their getting excited about their "New Xbox Experience", which is, by and large, the same old Xbox experience- perhaps with just more advertising.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lies
    So today marked the official release of the NXE (Although Microsoft has been slipping it out to large amounts of people before the fact), and I can safely say it lived up to my expectations.

Which were that it would be a dashboard. From which you can launch your games. And sometimes buy overpriced content. To play in your games. Which do not use the dashboard.

Suits are snappy
    Suits are snappy
    I almost have to marvel at the cunning Microsoft exhibited here. They really managed to get you people riled up about the DASHBOARD. Who really uses the dashboard all that much anyways? Pop game in, load game up, play game. Minimal time, if any, at the dashboard. This new Dashboard is pretty much the same. Slightly improved system speed, a new look, and Miis are all we got, and yet Microsoft somehow turned this into a big event. It was quite skillfully executed.

They essentially took a UI update, and inflated it to the status of a big game launch. Take a look around the dashboard. Five of the seven channels you've got exist to advertise or sell you things directly. And they couldn't even put the two useful tabs next to each other, forcing you to navigate between several layers of advertising to move between the My Xbox tab (which is where anything useful is at), and the pretty, but inefficient Friends tab. Most of the useful functionality is packed into the ONE My Xbox tab, while five other channels exist for no other reason than Microsoft needs to lift the revenue from XBL sales and advertising.

The effect. It is lost.
    The effect. It is lost.
    You're excited about having the amount of advertising in front of you INCREASE. You're excited about a UI update for a console that people rarely use the base UI on anyways. You're excited for Miis that don't even appear in many games (Unless you're into Kingdom for Keflings I guess). You're excited to have your existing themes obscured by the new coverflow system.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine UI update, but that's ALL it is. You've been played as fools by Microsoft into their getting excited about their "New Xbox Experience", which is, by and large, the same old Xbox experience- perhaps with just more advertising.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I was excited for the party system and the speed of the new guide, and I got a bangin' party system and a new guide that lets me circumvent everything anyway. So I'd say everything is balanced.

abombb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By abombb

I found that the Xbox 360 was always advertising on every tab anyway.  It's just presented differently.  It makes things faster in my opinion, and my favorite feature is that I can finally have more than two friends in private chat.  But yeah, they did brag about how the NXE was going to change you're entire gaming experience on the 360, which we know is not true.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

Everything is great, but I hate the gray bar! UGH!

I do like how you can see who your friends are playing with if they are in a group, I think that's really neat.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

All i can say is your Mii looks emo Lies, i'm disappointed.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lies

Nah, he just looks bored. I'd give him the hair over one eye if I wanted to go for emo.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

Yeah, I could barely grasp the topics about people staying up for an this. I really don't see the big deal, especially when you spend so little time actually on the dashboard.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By albedos_shadow

Now if only I had my 360 :(

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By AthleticShark

Why does EVERYONE wear the friken suit.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By gla55jAw

i just want my wood guide background back, i hate the new blue or green plain ass background, i love my wood!

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lies
    HellBound said:
    "Why does EVERYONE wear the friken suit."
    BEcause. Suits- are snappy.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I agree , and your avatar is awesome

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By elko84

You forgot about the party chat, it is the one feature I wanted so I could chat with more than one friend while playing whatever.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Jensonb

Another thing I hate with regards to ads is the way when scrolling round, it always stops on the first option which, once you remove welcome, is Spotlight.

ADS. It's exactly the same shit as the old Marketplace blade - the only two column one, requiring you to scroll past adverts to return to the blade you wanted.

Also, they oversold the Guide. "Everything you could do in the Blades" my ass. Half of it prompts you to return to the Dashboard

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.