Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NFL Blitz

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 04, 2012

EA Tiburon's take on the NFL Blitz franchise attempts to bring back the hard-hitting, over-the-top, on-fire action of the original Midway arcade games to Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

Each time I tackle someone I keep hitting the tackle button after

durden77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By durden77

And each time I'm disappointed. :(

Oh well, at least the gameplay is good. The fact that I'm mashing that button just like I would in the old days shows they've got that Blitz feel down. But since there's no late hits, it seems like that pause after each play with the players just standing around needlessly slows down the gameplay.

Stupid NFL I don't give a shit about your dumb football rules I just want to smash faces.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hot_Karl

Yeah, it's a bummer. I just wished the tackling was more satisfying at least, but even that seems toned down. The gameplay's still sharp but it just seems slow since you can't make anymore late hits.

I'm baffled as to why they had to tone it down so much though.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scrawnto

Late tackles are the only reason I ever played NFL Blitz. I'm not much of a football guy.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@VinceNotVance said:

Yeah, it's a bummer. I just wished the tackling was more satisfying at least, but even that seems toned down. The gameplay's still sharp but it just seems slow since you can't make anymore late hits.

I'm baffled as to why they had to tone it down so much though.

They speculated on the Bombcast that it's because the NFL got involved in this one and they aren't too keen on having players take late hits. I guess its like how some car manufacturers don't let racing games bang up their cars.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By DocHaus

@VinceNotVance: Because the NFL told them no.

Well, since then, the NFL has ordered late hits removed from the latest game. Speaking to GamesRadar, Ross said the EA Sports Tiburon team did include late hits, a staple of the hold series, in early builds of the game, including one shown to the league. But the NFL said no and asked EA to prohibit contact after the whistle.
    "At the end of the day they really felt like, with the messaging that they have, and with their stance on player health and safety, that it was something that was better left out of the game at this point," he told GamesRadar. "It still has the same over-the-top arcade experience that people remember from the old version of the game … it just doesn't have the late hits anymore."
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

Its a good game, but since the people running the NFL think it sends a bad message, they said no late hits.

durden77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By durden77

Yeh it's for sure the NFL's doing, and the awkward pause after each play feels like they really did have late hits in an earlier build but they had to be removed. I guess they just didn't want to remove the pause.

The thing is, like VincenotVance said, it really does affect the pace of the gameplay. I didn't notice it back in the classics, because I just thought it was awesome to hit them over and over. But now that it's gone, I don't just miss it for the fun, it's also because I'm just not doing anything for a couple of seconds. And in a game as fast as Blitz, that's a pretty lame moment. I wish they'd at least let you run around or something.

You get used to it, and I do think the gameplay is good (although I've had some kind of questionable issues with tackling and character switching....) but damn will they be missed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.