Are you using English or Japanese Voices?

Posted by Shadow (5291 posts) 9 days, 2 hours ago

Poll: Are you using English or Japanese Voices? (182 votes)

Japanese 38%
English 61%

How is everyone playing it? I'm doing Japanese myself. The lip sync in English was bothering me, and some of the banter didn't seem to translate too well. But the localization in this game seems great otherwise. I was impressed that they went so far as to remix bits of the soundtrack to use English voice samples instead of Japanese ones (like with the desert battle)

#1 Edited by Efesell (2345 posts) -

I've stuck with the Japanese.

The English voices sound totally fine, would not have complained if that was just how it was. But for Anime/JRPGs/What have you I generally just prefer to stick with the original given the option.

#2 Posted by redyoshi (1279 posts) -

I went with the Japanese voices, and one thing that annoyed me when I first started the game is that the subtitles seem to be on a .5 to full second delay, but this somehow became less of a problem for me as I went on.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6555 posts) -

Went with english at first just to see how it sounded and planned on switching to Japanese if I needed to. Turns out the english VO is pretty incredible imo so I stuck with it.

#4 Posted by Zeik (4417 posts) -

I'll almost always default to English if it's decent, and it's quite good for Automata overall. The only thing I don't like is the lip-syncing not matching up, but that's easy to overlook in a Japanese game.

I was thinking about starting up a second playthrough on hard and using Japanese for kicks, but I have a hunch I'll end up switching it back, because I've grown too accustomed to the English voices.

#5 Edited by BoOzak (1717 posts) -

I usually go with english unless it's noticably bad. (would've gone japanese with BotW given the option)

#6 Edited by Ezekiel (1692 posts) -

I'll probably play in English. I've seen that there's dialogue in the middle of combat. I only have one set of eyes. Besides, the subtitles are for the English audio, not for the Japanese audio, so there are sync issues and incorrect translations.

#7 Posted by WynnDuffy (1014 posts) -

Japanese, haven't heard the English though.

#8 Edited by Axersia (1769 posts) -

I wasn't sure what to pick at first, since I played both Nier and Nier Replicant, with the latter being in Japanese and also the most canonical. But I ended up picking English anyway since I already play enough games fully in Japanese as it is. Can't go wrong with either voice track, though.

Also, Peter Brown just totally spoiled that Ending E on the Bombcast like it was nothing, huh? Well, good thing I beat the game yesterday.

#9 Posted by redyoshi (1279 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

I'll probably play in English. I've seen that there's dialogue in the middle of combat. I only have one set of eyes. Besides, the subtitles are for the English audio, not for the Japanese audio, so there are sync issues and incorrect translations.

In addition to there being dialogue mid-combat, the subtitles tend to blend in with certain areas in this game. Outside of combat, there were times when I had to move to a darker area just so I could read the subtitles since with the sun's reflection, white text wouldn't pop out very well against sand or cement, for example. I would have switched if I didn't like the Japanese portrayals as much as I do.

#10 Posted by Efesell (2345 posts) -

@axersia said:

I wasn't sure what to pick at first, since I played both Nier and Nier Replicant, with the latter being in Japanese and also the most canonical. But I ended up picking English anyway since I already play enough games fully in Japanese as it is. Can't go wrong with either voice track, though.

Also, Peter Brown just totally spoiled that Ending E on the Bombcast like it was nothing, huh? Well, good thing I beat the game yesterday.

Aw did he talk about the credit sequence? Cause like I could see not thinking of that as a plot spoiler necessarily but it's such a cool moment to just have happen.

#11 Edited by el_tajij (857 posts) -

I'm not too far in but I went with English - I love seeing how a game plays in a localized format and I find the whole process fascinating, also I think Kira Buckland absolutely rocks as 2B!

#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (14683 posts) -

My general policy on Anime and Video Games is that I will always stick to the language I can understand unless the English voice acting is especially terrible. I think the ENG VA in Nier Automata is actually pretty good, so I'm sticking with it.

#13 Posted by Belegorm (1751 posts) -

I'm trying to learn Japanese so I went with that option.

Been pretty great so far, aside from the subtitles being a tad delayed as @redyoshi mentioned.

#14 Posted by Captain_Insano (2702 posts) -

If you're going to play a Japanese ass (intended) Japanese game, then you should do it in Japanese. (I haven't played Nier yet, currently playing Nioh, but when I do, I'll go with the Japanese option).

#15 Edited by Zeik (4417 posts) -
#16 Posted by Ezekiel (1692 posts) -

If you're going to play a Japanese ass (intended) Japanese game, then you should do it in Japanese.

If you're going to be a purist, turn off the subtitles as well. The subs are for the English audio.

#17 Posted by ikilledthedj (433 posts) -

Haven't yet got the game but when i do play it will be in English. After the hours of subtitles in Yakuza 0 i need a bit of a break from reading.

#18 Posted by QTanimeboi (10 posts) -

Never once have I played a game with english voice acting and thought "wow I really like these voices"

I'll stick to japanese whenever I can. As far as I'm concerned the Japanese market for VAs is just so much better and it greatly helps the quality

#19 Posted by Whitestripes09 (766 posts) -

Given that the subtitles are based on the English dubbing only...it really is a question of which language voice over do you think "sounds" best. I personally enjoy the English voice actors for this game. It would be interesting to see if there were any changes in actual dialogue between characters, but that is going to take learning the language.

#20 Edited by shiro2809 (218 posts) -

@qtanimeboi: Nier, and Nier Automata have really good English voice acting all around. I'd highly recommend it.

#21 Posted by IVDAMKE (1416 posts) -

I really disliked the English voices in the demo so when it comes out on PC I will for sure be playing in Japanese with English subs.

#22 Edited by infantpipoc (259 posts) -

@ezekiel said:
@captain_insano said:

If you're going to play a Japanese ass (intended) Japanese game, then you should do it in Japanese.

If you're going to be a purist, turn off the subtitles as well. The subs are for the English audio.

As someone who majored in Japanese back in college, I would just turn on Japanese subtitles and menu as well. It's a form of language practice for me.

#23 Edited by Teddie (1491 posts) -

@axersia said:

I wasn't sure what to pick at first, since I played both Nier and Nier Replicant, with the latter being in Japanese and also the most canonical.

Eh, you think so? Papa Nier was the original design for that character, so I'd argue that's the more canonical one. Not that it matters, Liam O'Brien is the only way to experience Weiss as far as I'm concerned.

#24 Posted by Tatsuyarr (139 posts) -

When it's a game with a lot of dialog my policy is to always go with the original version (exceptions may apply). Specially for Japanese games if the original voices are not available I will tend to import. Resident Evil is an exception because usually the protagonists are supposed to be English speakers so I don't mind.

#25 Posted by combustion_man (252 posts) -

@efesell: Yep, he sure did. I get why someone who isn't a Nier guy would think that wasn't a spoiler but damn son.

#26 Posted by Axersia (1769 posts) -

@teddie said:

@axersia said:

I wasn't sure what to pick at first, since I played both Nier and Nier Replicant, with the latter being in Japanese and also the most canonical.

Eh, you think so? Papa Nier was the original design for that character, so I'd argue that's the more canonical one. Not that it matters, Liam O'Brien is the only way to experience Weiss as far as I'm concerned.

Not quite. Yoko Taro has straight up said that Brother Nier was the original and Papa Nier was created for American audiences. And let's not forget that the Ending E described in the "Grimoire Nier" companion book follows Ending D from Nier Replicant.

Thus, Automata is a sequel to Replicant and not Gestalt. I'm sure I could look up some data logs in Automata that would confirm this, due to slight differences in time periods between Gestalt and Replicant, but I can't be bothered right now.

That's not to say that Nier Gestalt wasn't still excellent, of course.

#27 Posted by Teddie (1491 posts) -

@axersia: Oh yeah, you're totally right about which Nier came first. Dunno how I ended up with my information.

In regards to ending E in Grimoire Nier, I've only read the google doc translation that says it was "a younger version of him", which I always just read as "either one", but still figured it was probably written with Brother Nier in mind. I'll always prefer the father/daughter setup from Gestalt, but yeah, Replicant is likely the "more" canon one after all.

#28 Edited by TobbRobb (6083 posts) -

Still waiting for the PC version, but in general I default to Japanese for games that give the option.

That said, these games have generally had pretty good English voice acting, especially the original Nier was actually quite good. So I assume Automata is keeping up the trend. And in games like Bayonetta, where it was originally made for English I will do English.

#29 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (418 posts) -

English voice acting is actually really good.

9S's voice actor in particular is fucking fantastic and gave me goosebumps a couple times later in the game.

#30 Posted by Puchiko (406 posts) -

I went with Japanese but the subtitles are just "dubtitles" which always disappoints me

#31 Posted by GnosisLord (115 posts) -

I usually stick to Japanese voices when it's an option, but the English voice acting in Nier and Nier Automata were good enough that I made an exception.

#32 Edited by bson (50 posts) -

Interesting that so many choose to play with japanese VA. I wonder if the same goes for Persona 5 when that's out.

#33 Posted by SensibleParty (68 posts) -

I live in Japan so I decided to go with English voices. Not bad so far. I've noticed Americans can be pretty harsh on english voice actors, especially on Japanese games. It certainly wasn't always this way but I feel like Japanese to English localisation these days is pretty impressive. I'd definitely agree many Japanese games benefit from their original language... but only if you speak Japanese, otherwise you're still reading the translated subs anyway so it wouldn't make a difference.

I'll stick to japanese whenever I can. As far as I'm concerned the Japanese market for VAs is just so much better and it greatly helps the quality

Heh, not really. It's usually like the same 7-8 people doing everything. Same as in the West.

#34 Posted by IamTerics (723 posts) -

I went with English. The lip sync didn't bother me since they don't animate at all during most of the voiced dialogue. On top of not knowing Japanese and the subtitles being for the English version, its really a no brainer.

#35 Edited by Efesell (2345 posts) -

@bson said:

Interesting that so many choose to play with japanese VA. I wonder if the same goes for Persona 5 when that's out.

I think especially so there for me. The localization for those is fond of peppering in the honorifics for flavor and that's just kinda sounds strange.

#36 Posted by Zeik (4417 posts) -

@efesell said:
@bson said:

I think especially so there for me. The localization for those is fond of peppering in the honorifics for flavor and that's just kinda sounds strange.

Based on the English footage out there now (which there's no reason to believe is not final) that is not in Persona 5.

#37 Posted by Efesell (2345 posts) -

@zeik said:
@efesell said:
@bson said:

Based on the English footage out there now (which there's no reason to believe is not final) that is not in Persona 5.

Well that's fantastic. One of the few major gripes I had with 3 and 4.

#38 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1342 posts) -

I played in English. Unless you're a video game god I don't know how people are going to absorb the subtitles while fighting which happens at several points in the game. Also the dub is really good.

#39 Posted by Efesell (2345 posts) -

@TechnoSyndrome: I don't really recall a lot of serious fights that also had extensive dialogue, so it was pretty easy to just lazily fight something while conversations went on.

#40 Edited by MetalBaofu (1623 posts) -

Playing a game with audio I can't understand is never a choice I will make. If I can make it English, then I will, bad VA or not.

That's not to say I won't play a game that doesn't have english audio, I will(and have) played several. Just saying that I'll always put it on English if I can.

#41 Posted by razzuel (378 posts) -

I haven't played it yet, since I bought it on Steam, but I'll be playing with the Japanese voices. I vastly prefer Japanese voice actors, so I always choose Japanese voices when available.

#42 Posted by rubberluffy (736 posts) -

Beat the game (40 hours) with English the whole way. I figure I'll do Japanese if I ever replay it down the line, which I'm sure I will. The english dub was great.

#43 Posted by Crommi (311 posts) -

Started with Japanese, but switched to english which is just as good in my opinion. I don't understand japanese well enough to get away without using subtitles and those are way too slow, but I know enough to notice where they don't match the japanese lines all that well and that was too distracting.

2 hours in and loving it so far.

#44 Posted by horseman6 (1178 posts) -

Not sure how people think the English dub is good, it's mid 2000's anime bad. I tried it for 15 minutes and had to switch back.

#45 Posted by Efesell (2345 posts) -

Not sure how people think the English dub is good, it's mid 2000's anime bad. I tried it for 15 minutes and had to switch back.

Oh it's totally not, go back to those times and review.

Like hey it's fine if you like the Japanese more but let's be reasonable about it.

Avatar image for thecitizenkaneofthings
#46 Posted by TheCitizenKaneOfThings (110 posts) -

@axersia said:

Yeah, right? When he started talking about experiential stuff I was assuming he was going to talk about the multiple endings existing and maybe playing as different characters, but that felt like straight up saying the end of the game. I'm only ~10 hours into my first playthrough, and I was pissed.

Using English, it's really good tbh. I like 9S a lot.

#47 Edited by Zeik (4417 posts) -

@horseman6: Lol, not even close. This is why people don't like sub fanboys.

Enjoy whatever you enjoy most, but let others do the same, and don't act like you know better from a whole 15 minutes.

#48 Edited by Raina_Zero (6 posts) -

Not surprised that it's almost 50/50 for this game when it comes to using English or Japanese voice actors. Both are really great and even the English VA's sound very....anime-ish? They did hire good caliber voice actors like Kira Buckland after all.
Personally I played with both, English on the first and then Japanese in my 2nd full play through of the whole game.

#49 Posted by OurSin_360 (4450 posts) -

Is there a lot of Ambient dialog during gameplay? If so i usually go english as its impossible to read subs while playing.

#50 Posted by Zeik (4417 posts) -

@oursin_360: There is a decent amount, even in the middle of boss fights. Even in English it was sometimes hard to keep up with monologues while focusing on the fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.