Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

Grimoire Nier (The Nier Art/Story Book)

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SagaciousJones

In Japan, there's a companion book to the game that contains several short stories, interviews, and explanations to Nier's dense backstory. A group of dedicated GameFAQs denizens have translated the thing, and have posted the results in a google document:

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3#Introduction_873823421104661_5

I just finished reading the whole damn thing, so I'd be willing to answer any questions for those not willing to dive into a 75,000+ words text-dump.

Did you know that: (no main plot spoilers, only background stuff)

-Kaine is a hermaphrodite. Word of God, here. She has both dude and lady parts.

-Emil is gay, and has romantic feelings for Nier.

-The various bosses are named after fairytale characters? For example, the robot head you throw bombs at is Geppetto, the little shade is Cleo (the goldfish), and P-33 stands for Pinocchio. The junk heap brothers' real names are Jiminy and Gideon (the cat), while their mother's name is Blue (the fairy) and her illicit lover is Carlo (the author of the original Pinocchio story). Other names include Mother Goose, Hansel and Gretel, and Captain Hook.

-The corpse of the dragon Angelus from Drakengard caused the Black Scrawl.

-The Grimoire Noir from the prologue is not the one you see later, but is in fact a copy, mass-produced to create Gestalts.

-The memory tree is magic-powered computer network.

The book also tells you what happens after the various endings (hint: it's just as depressing as the rest of the game).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I did not know about any of this except for the fact that Kaine's a hermaphrodite, but then again I didn't go past Ending B. Emil's supposed to be gay? I was under the impression that if he had feelings for anyone, it would be Kaine.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SagaciousJones

@FluxWaveZ said:

I was under the impression that if he had feelings for anyone, it would be Kaine.

He admits at the pivotal half-way point that he thinks of Kaine as a sister. His feelings for Nier are more of a curiosity about intimacy than sexual passion (thus his questioning Nier about his wedding).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.