Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

Is Replicant inferior in any way to the original game?

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

So I hear Nier is a pretty interesting game, and I'd like to play it. The thing is, I've taken up Japanese studies and as such would like to import the Japanese version. Upon checking out the game, however, I found that the only version available to me (with the XBOX 360 being region-locked and all) is Nier Replicant. It seems the main character is younger there, and has a different relationship to this one character called Yonah. Now, considering Nier is mostly famed for its insane story, I'd like to know whether playing Nier Replicant has any downsides on this front as opposed to the original game? As in, do the changes to the character make enough of a difference that I'm missing out on some story beats or something?

It's a weird thing anyway. Why would they divide the console versions of the game like this, especially only in one region? I don't quite understand that.

Thanks to anyone who can offer me some insight.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Canteu

In gestalt you are her father, in replicant, you are her brother and a younger, more jrpg looking character.

The names do have something to do with the story beats, but both games contain both pieces.

That's about it really, it's not that different.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it does take a lot away from the story. The surprising turns in the game (which are brilliant) work so much better when you're the father - the whole game does.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@9cupsoftea said:

I think it does take a lot away from the story. The surprising turns in the game (which are brilliant) work so much better when you're the father - the whole game does.

I vaguely recall a developer interview where the game director wanted Nier Gestalt (Dad Version) to be the only version. However publisher pressure made them do "Replicant" for Japan, thus negating all of the central themes that only made sense from a paternal perspective.

And yeah, Nier is a brilliant fucking game. A pain in the ass to play with brain-dead side quests and a boring open world, but the narrative, music, characters, and general atmosphere make up for shoddy gameplay. OP is doing himself a disservice by playing Nier Replicant.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

*Thinks about Emil*

*cries*

What do you think happened to Emil.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@fourwude said:

*Thinks about Emil*

*cries*

What do you think happened to Emil.

His head is show flying into the desert and trying to get back to Nier in you beat it on NG+

http://youtu.be/kw9bqGSmfSY?t=19m39s

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.