Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NieR:Automata

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 23, 2017

NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Xbox One.

I just finishied Nier: Automata (NO SPOILERS), and now I feel a need to play..."weird" japanese games?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Automata is a very good video game. It's not perfect and honestly as a very big fan of the original Nier ever since that game came out, the strengths and weaknesses of automata are extremely similar to the first game(however the weaknesses are exceptionally less weak); but I really enjoyed it. It's that thing that a true creator can do...create what you wanted without you knowing what that was beforehand.

I was early into horizon and zelda, which for horizon ACTUALLY feels early like 8-10 hours and for zelda is more like 30ish hours, when I got my hands on the PC version of Nier and dropped everything else to play it. Before I had gotten all of the main endings but most of the way through, I started getting an itch to play other non crazy Taro but still japanese games. Stuff I hadn't gotten around to or ever finished, mostly from last generation. Off the top of my head, Asura's Wrath, El Shaddai, Folklore, Trinity Souls of Zill O'll and Knight's Contract(yes, lol). Some varying degrees of quality there, I know.

There was just something about this that made me want something with character action and some "other" near undefinable quality to it; of which I wouldn't really say those games I listed have one in common, I guess my mind just lumps them in as "not standard?".

This week's bombcast, I forget who brought it up, but they were discussing how the "best" games aren't always the most memorable. I don't know if I'm chasing this feeling; that feeling of finishing the original Nier or Automata or Killer7 or No More Heroes; the feeling of just the initial loading and cutscenes of the first Katamari game; or all the damn amazing slow motion and knee sliding of vanquish. At times I feel like a japanese die hard. I certainly love and cherish many games I didn't state here from the west, or atleast of that sensibility, but THIS feeling is something they just so rarely do for me.

I don't know what the point of this is outside of me putting this to digital paper. I certainly recommend Automata to anyone who wants to give it a shot, which is going to be a lot more people than the same offer for the original Nier. I guess I have some modern classics to get back to as well as some more off the radar games to fit in.

tuffalobuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tuffalobuffalo

Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE is at the top of my current "weird" Japanese video games list. The Persona style combat in that game is better than P3 and P4.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE is at the top of my current "weird" Japanese video games list. The Persona style combat in that game is better than P3 and P4.

Please don't remind me that I have a like 25 hour save file from earlier this year of it.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Huh, you know, I never really thought about this too much, but I guess I've had the same reactions to western games as of late. Yakuza, Automata and MGSV are all games that made me ecstatic and sad all in the same moment, and left me with a feeling of completeness. The closest thing I can think of for a western game doing this is The Talos Principle. A Croatian based dev is technically more "western" than Japan, so... does that count?

Moreso than any of the others I mentioned, I feel like Talos is the game I'm most happy to have played. Because Yakuza, Nier and MGS, I knew I'd be playing those. And BOY did they deliver, don't get me wrong. But Talos - a game I started simply based on "puzzles are cool" - came out of nowhere and blew me away with it's non-traditional style of storytelling and gave me my personal pick for best villain of 2015: the MLA dialogue interface. But even then, I see way more of Japanese style design and writing in that game than I do Western, and that's not bad, I guess I'm just weirded out how I never really thought of this before.

Real talk: I'm someone who is easily manipulated by emotional scenes; I'll tear up at the drop of a hat. Yet, I'm struggling to think of a recent game from the west which elicited this reaction from me. Meanwhile, Nier, Yakuza and even Zelda have gotten me wiping my cheeks, sometimes multiple times in the first two games' cases (and let's be honest, so will Persona 5 in a few days).

I bet if I tallied it all up, I probably play and enjoy more games from the west on average. Again, I'm not particularly speaking with purpose here - much like you mention in your post - but rather just, thanks for getting me to think about this. Not quite sure what it means, other than I should continue watching the Japanese dev scene, but I'm glad I realized this about myself. Introspection's good now and then.

Avatar image for chunlixiaoyufan
    ChunLiXiaoyuFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never actually played the game yet. But if I can, I'll see if I like it or not. :)

tuffalobuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tuffalobuffalo

@vortextk said:
    @tuffalobuffalo said:

Please don't remind me that I have a like 25 hour save file from earlier this year of it.

Muahahaha! :) You have, like, a day to finish it before Persona 5! ;)

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JohnTunoku

You could give the Zero Escape games a shot. The first 2 games just got bundled and remastered for Steam and PS4/Vita. They seem like they might scratch that itch.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I absolutely love Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll but it's definitely not weird in the sense Nier is. I really liked the characters and story but they're pretty straightforward.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Folklore on PS3 is a pretty good one. Folklore makes use of the six axis motion controls to yank out the souls of the monsters you fight, then you use them as your attacks. It also had a pretty nice and unique atmosphere, can't really think of a game like it, and definitely can't see something like it ever being made again. The Yakuza games are another suggestion I would make. Hmm, I should really play Folklore again.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Binary Domain is bonkers.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also second the notion that Folklore is quite interesting and unique. I had fun playing it, and the story goes some weird places.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@vortextk: for PC you can check out KILLER IS DEAD which shares a lot of similarities with Automata on that it has a batshit insane story, slightly repetitive gameplay and a combat system that is actually fairly competent and unique in its own right. For instance in Killer you get to decide what attribute to level up while you're performing finishers on downed enemies.

I think SHADOWS OF THE DAMNED is out on PC as well? The gameplay there is worse but the story is also pretty wacky.

If you want some direct 1:1 Taro weirdness and have a PS3 lying around then you can probably pick up Drakengard 3 for pennies and see that bizarre journey through its 5 or so main endings.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vortextk

So I actually do own all the games I listed off. Thinking about folklore...got exceptionally deep in the game but never finished.

Funniest thing is, I really should finish drakengard 3 but man. Cavia really didn't make "good games". That game is supremely uneven when it comes to graphics, performance and combat in a way that when someone says "oh automata is shallow" or "is fine", you know good enough to not distract but not the best ever, drakengard 3 I find is actively bad. I like getting through it a lot more than playing it but it's tough.

I never did play drakengard 1. I tried, after 2 and nier. I really liked 2 and rented it for weeks when I worked at blockbuster to beat it and get all the endings. It being not from taro didn't bother me back then because I didn't know who he was, but I actively liked a lot of what that game did at the time.

Agree that Trinity is not weird in the sense nier is, what is really, it just feels different enough to be on my radar after nier.

And yes I've beaten binary domain, that game is pretty good and fucked. BIG BO!

And what is that game that is a gears of war rip off...quantum theory. I gave that game more of a chance than I should have. I ended up getting frustrated near the end and youtubed the last hour of the game.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: yes I'm a big suda fan as well. Beat lollipop chainsaw and shadows of the Damned last generation and killer is dead on pc. Color me disappointed for let it die, not because I think it's bad but I don't want a f2p game nor something that is so grind heavy. I want to finish it not worry about daily login bonuses.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tokyo Jungle sure was good, but I don't know if it's quite what you're after. The crazy Japan stuff is in there, but harder to see and definitely not as anime as a lot of the other games people are suggesting.

Danganronpa and the Zero Escape series are totally nuts. They're both on sale on steam right now, too (well, Zero Escape 1 and 2 probably aren't since they only just got ported over).

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By shirogane

Steam has an anime sale going on right now, you can get a bunch of this stuff off that. Also just browse through those titles, there's sure to be something in there that would appeal to you, like Gal*Gun. I'm sure Jeff would be real happy if you got that.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't go wrong with Binary Domain

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danganronpa.

Go big or go home

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshth

many many more people need to play Danganronpa, especially since that bundle of 1 and 2 just came out on ps4. It is just distilled Japanese weird and I love it so much.

@frostyryan said:

Danganronpa.

Go big or go home

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly Premonition

Let It Die

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@vortextk: I'm with ya. I hoped Let it Die would be something else. The free to play trappings seriously diluted what could have been a cool hand crafted experience.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I just finished getting platinum and then wiped my save so I'm feeling the same as you. Luckily Persona 5 is out in a couple days.

I will also recommend Danganronpa, its more of a visual novel, but it is probably one of my favorite video game stories ever. The second one also managed to introduce a completely new cast of characters and an equally good story as the first (arguably better than the first, but I'm not sure how I feel on that), which I find to be way too rare in video game stories. They both gave me that feeling, the one you get when you reach a point in a good book where you cannot stop until its finished. It probably helps that I love locked room mysteries, anime, and manga so these games were basically made for me. I can't wait for the 3rd game to come out, which I think is later this year.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse: I've forgotten almost all of the spoilers that came from patrick, vinny and GOTY podcasts over the years over those games/series so it's possible. I get that and zero escape mixed up having not played any. I've only played one "VN" seriously, phantom of the inferno, which is a fucking VN on a regular ass dvd. I think I played on my ps2, but of course it plays as a movie disc, and while I absolutely loved it, it was ASS playing it that way.

Not necessarily after anime, though a huge fan of it when I get the time for it, I just felt so complete after Nier; again(7 years later).

I like weird but damn the more I think about what I want to play new and old, I just want to retire; like 30+ years too early...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.