Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NieR:Automata

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 23, 2017

NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Xbox One.

Poor performance in Fullscreen (PC version)

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dtat

I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue. So I just purchased Nier Automata, and I found that is was running horribly! I was getting very chopped frame rate even with texture quality turned down and AA turned off. I was very surprised at this because I'm running a GTX 1070, which I thought should be more than enough to get a solid 60. I alt-tabbed to look up some benchmarks, and when I went back to the game, it had defaulted by to windowed mode. To my surprise, it suddenly ran at a solid 60 fps, even when I jacked everything up to max.

This is extremely consistent. I always get poor performance whenever I switch back to full screen (even in cutscenes), and smooth as butter performance in windowed mode. It's not dropping the resolution in windowed. It's still 1080p which is what my monitor runs at. No idea what's going on. Never had this issue with any other game. Anyone else?

bbillade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fullscreen won't even work for me on my GTX 1080, it immediately bumps me back to windowed. The fix is to us an app to force borderless fullscreen window. Just google 'borderless fullscreen' and the first thing that comes up is an app that will do it for you. Works great. I get a solid 60fps and 1440p on my GTX 1080. Don't enable anti aliasing though. Their implementation of AA seems to blur the image and takes a huge hit to performance.

WetRacoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's insane to me how many issues I have with full screen vs borderless windows. I've had several games now which hang or blackscreen upon quitting or starting when in fullscreen but work fine in borderless windowed mode. I also have a 1070. PC gaming I guess haha.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Zurv

use the FAR fix:

https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases/tag/far_001

more info here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

I also got SLI working using the Rise of the Tomb raider profile.

Download / Install

• Automatic Method

Automated Installer (SKIM)

• [github.com]
      • Manual Method

(Use if auto-install fails)FAR v 0.0.1.1

• [github.com]
        • Extract to your NieR: Automata install directory

Overview of Settings in dxgi.ini

[Compatibility.General]
    DisableBloatWare_NVIDIA=trueDisables GeForce Experience / NVIDIA Shield Features, since they are broken for some people.
    [Render.FrameRate]
    TargetFPS=60.0Use my framerate limiter, since it performs better - SET TO 0.0 to disable
    LimiterTolerance=0.3Lower values increase CPU load of framerate limiter for more consistent framerates
    BackBufferCount=2Triple-Buffered (2) instead of Quad-Buffered (3: Game Default)Lower values reduce input latency in fullscreen mode
    PreRenderLimit=3Pre-Rendered Frame Limit, set lower for less input latency but possible stutter
    PresentationInterval=-1VSYNC (-1 = Game Preference, 0 = OFF, 1 = ON, 2+ = 1/<n> Refresh Rate)
    RefreshRate=60FORCE 60 Hz instead of game's default (59 / 50); Set to -1 to use game's original behavior
    [Render.DXGI]
    MaxRes=0x0Maximum Resolution Listed in-game (0x0 = Unlimited)
    MinRes=0x0Minimum Resolution Listed in-game (0x0 = Unlimited)
    Scaling=UnspecifiedFix Fullscreen Scaling, don't touch this setting

Keybinds

• The OSD can be turned off by pressing

Ctrl + Shift + O

• , various Special K features can be configured by pressing

Ctrl + Shift + Backspace

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thanks for the Rise of the Tomb Raider tip! FWIW, the AMD Crossfire also seems to works with this profile. Haven't tested it yet with any other one. The cards I am using are GCN 1.0 ones, old HD 7950s.

@zurv said:

use the FAR fix:

https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases/tag/far_001

more info here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

I also got SLI working using the Rise of the Tomb raider profile.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice that it works in crossfire too. Odd that didn't just add it in. I talked to a buddy an nvidia and they thought the issue the CPU limiting perf. But that doesn't look like the case on my system.

here is it running in 4k and 60fps (perf is on the top left)

Loading Video...

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are these issues fixed by now?

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fixed via the mod patch.. which is actively being worked on..

but nothing from the dev

mcleangillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally! i have the same problem too and thanks for sharing this now its working normally.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The FAR patch caused crashing for me so I opted out for Borderless gaming instead.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: :( maybe try again. Almost every day there is an update for it.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So i gather by looking in the news section of Nier Automata on Steam that there hasn't been an update to fix any of this shit yet? Bought the game two weeks ago and i still haven't booted it up, kind of want to play the game without having issues. But chances of the developers actually fixing their product seems very slim.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least you people got it. Still waiting on SE Asia release...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the devs have stated that they are working on a patch? But yeah, who knows how long that will take. Luckily for me the FAR fix worked perfectly. Bummer for those who can't get it to work though, personally I could not settle for playing in windowed and I would probably demand a refund if that was my only option.

Skullbuggery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it through with just the borderless gaming app to make it fullscreen and its a real shame others are avoiding it til its patched, I'm just happy its better than most pc ports from Japan in the type of games I play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.