Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NieR:Automata

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 23, 2017

NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Xbox One.

So, Am I the Only One Who Feels This Way? (Spoilers)

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just started route B not too long ago. I really love this game but man, did they *have* to make you replay through *all* of what I just did? I spent 17 hours playing through the first ending and now I have to spend maybe a dozen more playing through the same sequences and roughly the same dialog just to see a few different things towards the ending?

I really hate to complain about these kind of things (especially since I really enjoy this game) but this feels like a bit much. It probably doesn't help the fact that I don't think 9S is as cool of a character compared to 2B (even though the hacking stuff is pretty fun!)

Am I the only one who feels this way? Is it even worth continuing to play?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just power through it, it'll probably only take you about 4-5 hours (and it changes up quite a bit at the end, and has its own story stuff to go over). Really, you just want to get to route C. It's the best stuff in the game.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Yup, as the fella above me stated, it's very short unless you go out of your way to unlock all of those dang chests/doors you couldn't in playthrough A. And it actually does end up presenting you with a ton of new new cutscenes, giving you a much deeper understanding of what's happened up until this point. Playthrough C, though, is where things get craaaaaazy; so do yourself a favour and force your way up there, even if you ain't too enamored of route B.

Personally, I really enjoyed being able to open all that previous stuff, and I thought the side-quests for route B were TERRIFIC, but to each their own.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You're not the only one. I think 9S flat out sucks and isnt fun to play as. But unless you're intent on doing all of his side missions, of which there are a fair few, you can get through it pretty fast. It's worth putting up with route b to get to c.

byrjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

By all means, keep at it, you won't regret it. And if you feel bored, try pressing triangle a few times close to an enemy..

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just to see a few different things towards the ending?

Oh my sweet summer child. You have no idea what you are in for.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to add to what everyone else said, hacking is very powerful and you can make a lot of boss fights go fast if you get good at it. You can also get some chips that make it have some AoE effects against enemy groups.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's because of the way I'm playing it--very slowly, maybe a few hours a week--I really didn't mind replaying those sections as 9S. Part of it was the way hacking changes up some of those fights, but I also really dug the majority of the side quests you unlock as 9S. As everyone else here has said, it's something you can blow through pretty quick if you're determined to, but some of my favorite minor story moments came from taking my time with the 9S playthrough. Definitely go talk to Engels, if you haven't already.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

You're not the only one. I think 9S flat out sucks and isnt fun to play as. But unless you're intent on doing all of his side missions, of which there are a fair few, you can get through it pretty fast. It's worth putting up with route b to get to c.

In which you get to play as 9S some more. Yeah, his hacking gameplay is inferior.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

I feel like there's a more efficient way they could have handled 9S' path that required less rehashing of identical content, but ultimately it's a minor complaint in my book. You can speed through it pretty quick if you just want to get to route C, but there's some interesting stuff to do as 9S if you're willing to seek it out.

I've seen some people claim they should have just combined route a and b into one playthrough, which might have been more palatable for the average player, but I don't think it would have worked as well for the story. A lot of route B's revelation work best with the full context of route A behind it, and route B does a lot to set up new revaluations in route C.

And route C is 1000% worth it.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just take your time. This isn't the game you should "power through" on.

You can if you want to of course, though it takes away a bit of the overall experience in my opinion.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 9S is a way more interesting character than 2B. I felt a little similar to you with 9S before I got to the Ending B and started on C, but after that everything goes PLACES. You can rush through Ending B in less than four hours honestly.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I liked it quite a lot. It really made Route C so much more impactful.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vikingdeath1

I too quickly found 9S to be not as fun to play as 2B had been.

Losing your heavy attack in exchange for a Bullet Hell minigame is not something I personally liked. Route B made me realize that I am TERRIBLE at bullet hells, and I did Every sidequest in that route, so I sure got a ton of hacking in. The sidequests were enjoyable though, some great world building in there, and most of the hacking sequences are pretty easy all things considered. But I was having a lot more fun ending my light attacks with a heavy attack than I was constantly aiming incorrectly at all those damn triangles and spheres. (Hacking music remixes are great though)

So i dunno. Is it shitty of me to say you should just play through this sequence that might have some rehashed Fluff in it, for the reason of: It gets better later! (Which it does) Is that unfair to ask of someone, and at the same time claim this is a Fantastic game?

I dunno, but i'd say slog through it. Once you get to a certain point in the story as 9S the gameplay is QUITE different from Route A. I'd say the end of Route B is worth it (And in turn the beginning of Route C as well)

now; Back to Persona! I'll finish Route C eventually....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.