Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NieR:Automata

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 23, 2017

NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Xbox One.

Will you riot if NieR: Automata doesn't win best music this year?

• 76 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Will you riot if NieR: Automata doesn't win best music this year? (423 votes)

Yes 27%
    No, I think Persona 5 OST is better 35%
    Have you heard [BLANK] OST? (comment below, I wanna check it out!) 16%
    Please show me the results. I definitely want to know if there is a riot I need to prepare for. 22%

Hey, so with NieR: Automata in my rear-view mirror, the thing that I keep going back to is the soundtrack. It's good, like really good, like it's as good as people claim the actual game is. (I liked it, just wish I liked it more!) It's one my favorite soundtracks and I know I'll listen to it for a long time to come.

I haven't played Persona 5 so I don't feel 100% confident in saying this 'cause I do think people should try to experience the music with the game but I have heard the soundtrack a bunch and it's good but the ratio of skip/forgettable pieces are much higher.

Anyway, which soundtracks are you guys feeling? Wanted to check out some of them.

• 
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: Oh shit, definitely wanna check it out. I've liked both of the previous soundtracks for sure but idk why, I've completely ignored Pyre as a game, as a thing.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

It's a close race between pyre and nier .

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

Pyre.

So good!

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By odinsmana

Both Persona and Yakuza 0 easily tops it for me.

I didn`t actually love the Automata soundtrack. Especially compared to Nier 1. I can only remember one song from Automata and it`s kinda hazy, but I still regularly find myself humming some of the songs from Nier 1.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Haven't played NieR yet, but I think it will be an interesting discussion. Persona 5 soundtrack is really great. I'm sure NieR is also, but they are very different styles of music. More of the staff will have played NieR, so it will have that going for it.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By KirkyX
    Loading Video...

Bungie just uploaded the whole D2 soundtrack to YouTube, and I really dig it based on what I've heard thus far--it gives me Halo 3 vibes. As I was rather worried about how D2's soundtrack would turn out without Marty O'Donnell, I'm quite relieved.

Still haven't gotten around to Nier, sadly, so I can't compare. I imagine they're rather dissimilar in any case.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've never been right about their Soundtrack of the Year awards before, why would they start now?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because the Persona 5 soundtrack is way better in my option. and honestly I didn't like Automata's OST as much as I liked the original Nier's OST.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Luchalma

People can and will argue the merits of Persona as an actual game, but stylistically, everything it does is above and beyond anything else in the industry. That includes the music. Especially the music.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyrodactyl

Nier Automata OST is the poor man's Nier OST. I will definitely riot if Persona 5 doesn't take it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I actually came to mention the Persona 5 music - very glad to see this as an option (to be fair, I haven't heard Nier)

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier, Persona 5, Yakuza 0 & Sonic Mania all have excellent ost's

So if it's one of these I don't mind which one but anything else.......*Shakes angry fist* lol

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyre for me. I actually disliked Nier's soundtrack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love the NieR Automata soundtrack but I also really love the Night In The Woods and Hollow Knight soundtracks.
    Lot of good video game music being made.

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't heard Nier's soundtrack but won't it have stiff competition from the Grant Kirkhope music in Mario+Rabbids game?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously though Persona 5 should be disqualified for even including that Mementos track alone.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I do really like the Nier: Automata soundtrack, especially the ending song which is great (all of the versions)! However, it just doesn't compare (personally) to the original Nier soundtrack, at least as a whole. The sense of place and emotional resonance of Nier's OST is among the best I've ever heard in a game. It's somewhat telling, I think, that the most impactful emotional moment of Automata (for me, at least) uses characters and a song from the original Nier soundtrack.

Persona 5's soundtrack is astounding. There's an absurd amount of care and love put into every track, even little ones used for one-off moments or shops. It's absolutely packed with sick bass riffs and killer vocal tracks. The variety is fantastic, while retaining the core musical theme. Most of all, it's immediately catchy, with multiple tracks from it being stuck in my head after just one playthrough. If it didn't have the series' worst basic battle theme, it might just be perfect.

It's not really much of a competition for me, at least at this moment. It's entirely possible the Automata soundtrack will resonate with me more after I keep listening to it (as I do own it), but I definitely find myself going back to tracks from P5 a lot more frequently.

As for the GotY discussion, I think the history of the crew passing over more somber and emotional music for stuff that just has a good beat/melody makes Persona 5 a much more likely candidate for the winner. However, the P4 favor among members of the GB team could have a positive effect--reminding them of that game's OST--or a negative one--reminding them it ISN'T the P4 OST. Or it will be some weird outlier that no one saw coming. Who knows?

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm personally rooting for P5, but I'm totally cool with NieR, P5, Sonic Mania, or Danganronpa V3 (DARK HORSE) taking it.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbids man

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

That is a pretty terrible title.

I'm not familiar with the Automata soundtrack, but let me tell you about Fidel Dungeon Rescue:

Loading Video...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, because I require online personalities to validate my personal tastes.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

P5 was better.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matatat

Well this is a loaded poll.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MattGiersoni

Persona 5 is better, but I just played Destiny 2 and the first couple of tracks are really beautiful. Still P5 is the best this year, I've been listening to the OST everyday since release.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I look forward to neither of them winning Best Music in favor of some hyperkinetic electronica thing. As per usual.

Mcmurrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of hyperkinetic electronica...

Nidhogg II has a real good soundtrack

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've never rioted before so this doesn't really feel like the appropriate time/reason to start

somamilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By somamilk

Hey just saying, that Yakuza Kiwami's ost is on point and should get a relisten.

Persona 5's ost is something that comes every millennia to grace our tender ears.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You and your polls dude.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't heard Super Mario Odyssey's soundtrack yet, which is bound to be beautiful. But yeah, Nier has one hell of a soundtrack. Spent plenty of time just chilling and enjoying the music early on in that game. I really should finish the other endings.

MStankow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic Mania

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Persona 5 OST is pretty great, but yeah Nier is the clear winner this year.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will I riot because some people didn't like something as much as I did? Or by "riot" did you mean "post angry rants"? Anyway this poll is missing at least one rational option.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, just because it is heavily based on the original Nier OST

And that one is a god damn good OST

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: Yeah these are charged options. Why make a poll like this when you can just make a thread without it?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just like listening to their thought process. What they ultimately choose has little to no impact on me if I'm being honest. That said, as much as I like Nier's music - and I like it a lot - I think I genuinely do enjoy Persona's more.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have no issues with either NieR: Automata or Persona 5 taking it. Or not, for that matter. Both games have already been heaped with so much praise. They deserve all of it, but I'm not clamouring for them to hoover up every single award on the internet.

Listening to P5 as I type this btw.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ivdamke

The OST is the only thing I ended up liking about Nier: Automata and this year despite having great games hasn't really had many great OSTs so Nier definitely has my vote.

I've got no real clue what the GB dudes will pick though, there hasn't been much enthusiasm for any OST outside of Jason with Nier from memory.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

No, I usually go in with tempered expectations as to what they will consider the best music of the year.

Edit: I'm going back and listening to Undertale some and it's a damn shame how passed over that game was. I think Austin was the only one who really appreciated it. I thought I recalled writing something about it a while back and I guess I did. The blog I made has a list of some of the better songs in the game. Sorry for the shameless plug, but more people should hear Undertale's soundtrack even if you don't want to play the game.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Nier: Automata's OST is rad, but P5 is on another level. I think it added about ten hours to my playthrough as I kept stopping to jam out.

(Real talk - the best game-related music of the year has to be the Beneath The Mask (P5) / Signs of Love (P4) / When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars (P3) mashup from Persona Super Live P-Sound Bomb!!!! 2017, it's so good. The concert was weird in all the best ways - the live version of Live Will Change is incredible, you've got Futaba tap-dancing inexplicably, and the Velvet Twins singing the Junes Theme, not to mention the DJ Waka DJ set that ends with him wiping out an Evoker, or Nanako beating shadows with a frying pan. Fantastic stuff.)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By liquiddragon

@stordoff: I do really like Beneath the Mask. Is this concert posted somewhere? Was it only a paid stream?

Edit: oh, nvm.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ezekiel

Never cared about GOTY awards. I don't need my opinion to be validated by a big publication. Nier: Automata is a good game with a good soundtrack, but I wasn't amazed by the game or the soundtrack.

@mstankow said:

Sonic Mania

Eh. I've only heard new music in two levels so far. The rest are remixes that aren't as good as the originals.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By Superharman

Just wish I could actually track down a copy of the OST since it isn't on the Australian iTunes store...

Pascal's village and the theme park themes are all timers for me.

LiamEyers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What puts Nier over the top for me was the god damned seemless transitioning between alternate versions of the same track when you go in and out of hacking and (especially) kick off the true version of the ending theme. A lot of over games this year had fantastic soundtracks (though P5 didn't set me on fire the way P3 and P4 did) but that use of the soundtrack for more than just having great songs at the right time is what I'd like to see recognised.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 had some bomb-ass tunes (to the point where I even bought the soundtrack), and so far Destiny 2 has been on point, but Yakuza 0 easily wins it for me. If I could easily buy that soundtrack, I totally would.

Twin Dragons is my favorite song off of it, especially with the set-up that leads into it:

Loading Video...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NTM

My brother bought Nier, so it's not a game I'll play for a while if at all because I believe he wants to finish it first, but he's too occu[ied with other games. From the little I heard when he played some of it, it was good, though I don't know if it'd be my favorite, so no I probably wouldn't riot. Also... He put 300 plus hours into Persona 5, just finishing it yesterday, and holy shit that soundtrack annoyed me with its repetitiveness, and general lack of tunes I wanted to listen to. I don't get the love for it, but it's one of those things I guess. The only song in Persona that I like fine is the song called New Days.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I definitely won't begrudge anyone saying otherwise, but I can't imagine anything else beating Automata in my book. It is just EXACTLY my type of music (Nier original's OST completely blindsided me when I played that game a couple years ago) and it's the absolute tippy-toppest tier of that type of music. I probably have never connected with a musical score - video game or otherwise - on a personal and emotional level as hard as Automata. Original Nier is close, obviously. MAYBE Persona 4? Anyway, yeah, Automata should take it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By soulcake

That Pubg menu music is .............

Also the real winner is Tekken 7

Loading Video...

Nier music is great but really repetitive after hearing it for X amount off times. Some songs just become straight up annoying.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

As others have said, Persona 5 is better. Sonic Mania is probably better too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.