Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NieR:Automata

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 23, 2017

NieR: Automata is an action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows and Xbox One.

Will you riot if NieR: Automata doesn't win best music this year?

• 76 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Will you riot if NieR: Automata doesn't win best music this year? (423 votes)

Yes 27%
    No, I think Persona 5 OST is better 35%
    Have you heard [BLANK] OST? (comment below, I wanna check it out!) 16%
    Please show me the results. I definitely want to know if there is a riot I need to prepare for. 22%

Hey, so with NieR: Automata in my rear-view mirror, the thing that I keep going back to is the soundtrack. It's good, like really good, like it's as good as people claim the actual game is. (I liked it, just wish I liked it more!) It's one my favorite soundtracks and I know I'll listen to it for a long time to come.

I haven't played Persona 5 so I don't feel 100% confident in saying this 'cause I do think people should try to experience the music with the game but I have heard the soundtrack a bunch and it's good but the ratio of skip/forgettable pieces are much higher.

Anyway, which soundtracks are you guys feeling? Wanted to check out some of them.

• 
    Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Also, thanks to this thread I remembered that I bought Neir automata on steam earlier in the year. I still need to play it!

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I will fight for Pyre.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not even in the slightest. Pyre soundtrack is the best so far

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breath of the Wild for me so far.. Tekken is good but most songs are kinda all dubstepy. Nidhogg seems really good too and Mario Odyssey I'm sure will put up a fight.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By matiaz_tapia

I really love the NieR:A OST, but Persona 5's is pretty good. Don't predict neither for this site tho, maybe second or third.

NieR should have props for making it's music adaptable in a way that just listening to it out of context doesn't have the same impact. I do like some of the japanese vocals a bit more than the english ones...in the two tracks where that was a thing, not to spoil ( because of the number of syllables it added to the chorus, the english versions felt one off)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By liquiddragon

@liameyers: Yeah, when I think about NieR: Automata, that transition is the 1st thing that comes to mind. So good!

Loading Video...

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Naoiko

Sonic Mania and P5 are better imo. Granted I know every's got different taste in music so take that with a grain of salt. =)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I mean Nier is my OST of the year, but Persona 5 has some amazing music too. I'll riot if it's neither of those!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: On the page of the video I posted above, which is one of Platinum's Youtube channels, there is a link to their site explaining how it's done. I don't know anything about making music so all I can really do is nod in approval but it sure does make all the hacking you do in the game much more tolerable.

I think in Doom, because the music is so big and loud and your constantly dipping in and out of combat, it's harder to transition from that to quieter moments gracefully. It's very noticeable the game trying to go from 0 to 60 to 0 again in a span of like 10 seconds. I definitely found it jarring as well.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: On the page of the video I posted above, which is one of Platinum's Youtube channels, there is a link to their site explaining how it's done. I don't know anything about making music so all I can really do is nod in approval but it sure does make all the hacking you do in the game much more tolerable.

I think in Doom, because the music is so big and loud and your constantly dipping in and out of combat, it's harder to transition from that to quieter moments gracefully. It's very noticeable the game trying to go from 0 to 60 to 0 again in a span of like 10 seconds. I definitely found it jarring as well.

I never played the full game, so they might have fixed it, but at least the demo for Prey had this problem in a real serious way. The combat music was really loud and continued playing for a good half minute after you killed the last enemy. It was actually really distracting.

Also the hacking music change in Nier is cool, but the lyrics kicking in near the end of boss fights in Revengeance was the best thing ever! I almost wish every game did it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

I still have to play Nier, but the Hollow Knight soundtrack is SO FUCKING GOOD.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5, Sonic Mania, Danganronpa V3, and Destiny 2 (based on what I've heard in the first few hours) are soundtracks I like way more than Nier's, with Persona 5 and Destiny 2 being my two contenders for #1 (haven't spent enough time with Destiny yet to know). Also, there are a few tracks in the BotW OST I like more than Nier - the horse riding music is great chill music, and the battle theme is great too. The Nier OST good music, but I can't recall any of it other than the theme that plays in the starting city ruins area, and if I have to listen to that for 5 more minutes, I might go insane. Great year for game music though.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By madladunit

Got to be Mario + Rabbids, based on what I've heard. Been a while since I've been watching a QL and noticed how good the music was without anyone drawing attention to it.

Loading Video...

Honestly, that track alone makes me feel all warm and fuzzy in my heart. It sounds just like the music that would play over the credits of an overly-sentimental Steve Martin Mario movie released in 1995.

For the avoidance of doubt, that's a good thing.

Edit: The bit at 6:45 makes me cry. I'm going to email Steve Martin about this.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By Zurv

That is a leading poll question. NieR music was mostly boring (but had its parts - but honestly i was SOOOO SICK OF IT after 40 hours!) and who cares about Persona 5. Please add, NieR OST was forgettable or just add "no"

also, NieR in general gives me a bad vibe. Not really because of the game. It was "ok".. but why people seem to love it so much. The story (what there is of it) is basic sci-fi, philosophy 101, done to death stuff... It is always good to try to see ones bias. That said after 40 hours i want to punch NieR's music in the face.

randomly .... Diversity Original sin 2 music is real good. :)

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: Definitely hope they fixed that about Prey, just bought it like a week ago. Visual glitches are bizarre and can be fun but audio bugs are always such a bummer. You like the music in MGR:R? Automata did that trick a lot with the vocals. Where ever there were songs, the lyrics kicked in and out, depending on how far away from the center of the area you were in.

@dudeglove: Oh, didn't know. I'll have to read a couple of their posts.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By odinsmana

@liquiddragon said:

@odinsmana: Definitely hope they fixed that about Prey, just bought it like a week ago. Visual glitches are bizarre and can be fun but audio bugs are always such a bummer. You like the music in MGR:R? Automata did that trick a lot with the vocals. Where ever there were songs, the lyrics kicked in and out, depending on how far away from the center of the area you were in.

Yeah, Nier definitely does do some of that stuff and it`s neat. It didn`t do it for me in the same way though. It might just have been the context (not at the end of a boss fight) or the type of music (a lot of the tracks in Nier are fairly low key as opposed to the power metal of MGR). I don`t really know.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odinsmana: Yeah, for sure in that context, it's probably way more impactful. I guess I felt about the music in Rising the way you feel about NeiR's. lol

Digaumgrunge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

P R E Y O R G T F O

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sinistor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sinistor
    Loading Video...

Night in the woods all the way baby!

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Music tastes are so varied from person to person so I can understand if someone doesn't like its soundtrack. The scene timing combined with the tone makes it stand out for me, but its not something I can listen to outside of the game.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hollow Knight best soundtrack of the year

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BrainScratch
    @teddie said:

They've never been right about their Soundtrack of the Year awards before, why would they start now?

They were completely right last year though. Furi had a fantastic soundtrack.

The only reason I kept playing that game even though the difficulty was stressing me out was because of how great the music was on it.

Still have most of the tracks on rotation on my Spotify. It's one of the only two videogame soundtracks that I listen on a regular basis (the other is Marc Ecko's Getting Up).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8d483108987
    deactivated-5c8d483108987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the awards took place before i played the game but after finishing the game i'm glad it won best music. Surely deserved it and i love the ending credit song

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.