Ninja Combat is a belt-scrolling brawler developed and released by Alpha Denshi for arcades (running Neo-Geo MVS hardware) on July 24, 1990 (in Japan), August 22, 1990 (in North America), and 1991 (in Europe). It was also released for the Neo Geo AES for all regions during their respective launch dates.
Set in modern-day New York City, which has been taken over by the long-thought-dead wizard Genyousai (from his massive Ninja Tower), Ninja Combat tells the tale of twin ninjas Joe and Hayabusa, who must use their weapons and special combat techniques to defeat Genyousai and his demonic forces. Along the way, they encounter three warriors (Musashi, Kagerow, and Genbu) who, after defeated, join the pair as playable characters.
It was later ported to the Neo Geo CD on October 31, 1994, released exclusively in Japan.
The game has seven stages of play, starting in the city streets and eventually moving to the inside of the Ninja Tower. Each stage ends with a boss. Players can use "ninja magic" by holding down the attack button and charging; this drains one bar of life from the player.
- Attack up: This boosts the character's normal attack. I.E., it will boost the power of Joe and Hayabusa's shuriken, but not their ninja magic or if they are using a weapon.
- Speed up: Increases the movement speed of the character.
- Extra life: An extra life, obviously.
- Cola & hamburgers: Restore a segment of lost life energy.
These weapons are only usable by Joe and Hayabusa.
- Nunchaku: Long range and decent attack power.
- Club: Shorter range, decent attack power.
- Sword: Similar to the club, but has greater attack power.
- Axe: Very high attack power, but miserable range.
- Spear: Excellent range and very high attack power, probably the best of the largely useless weapons.
- Folding Fan: A mysterious weapon, there is only one in the game and nobody can actually use it.