Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 18, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is an upgraded version of Ninja Gaiden 3, featuring additions such as gameplay tweaks, dismemberment, multiple weapons, new playable characters, and online co-op.

IGN gives it a 7.6

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

Just watched the video review and wow... I'm excited. They actually FIXED everything. Granted it seems at the cost of some visual fidelity BUT the important thing is no frame rate complaints , the weapon upgrade system returns as well as ALL of Ryu's arsenal along with a Mission Mode and Ayane stages. The added gore and removal of the Steel & Bone mechanic is a nice change too. This looks to be the Ninja Gaiden 3 we SHOULD have had the first time. Shame its only on WiiU I'd really like if they released a discounted re-release on the other consoles.

(edit: could a mod attach this to the Razor's Edge forum I meant to do that but forgot. Thanks!)

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CptBedlam

Wow, now it's a mediocre game instead of a bad one. Great!

Do the levels still consist of boring fights against waves of enemies?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

General discussion is average I guess, by IGN standards

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hippie_genocide

I have a feeling this version will end up on 360/PS3 at some point. Look at how many times Tecmo re-released NG1.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ducksworth

GamesRadar and Destructoid have been less favourable. I've never really played Ninja Gaiden before so I actually had fun with the Ninja Gaiden 3 demo on PS3, a friend of mine convinced me to grab Sigma so I'll hopefully get a better point of comparison. Depending on how I feel about the games/genre afterwards I might get Sigma 2 and then eventually Razors Edge so I can really see what all the hate is about.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard

Didn't realise General Discussion was worthy of so many reviews.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vonocourt

While I usually take Jim Sterling's reviews with a grain of salt, the fact that his review reads like a list of my doubts made solid about this version makes me inclined to not bother until it's cheap.

@Ducksworth: Definitely recommend Sigma, the series peaked with the first game and that edition does have extra content.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By evanbower

Apparently Ryan McCaffrey is beyond thrilled to be able to love Ninja Gaiden again. This release makes the Wii U 2 a must buy, with Ninja Gaiden 4: Ryu Scared Stupid, its most anticipated title.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By musubi

@CptBedlam: 7.6 isn't mediocre thats still foot firmly in the "good" realm of things.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CptBedlam

@Demoskinos: It's an IGN score.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By iamjohn

@CptBedlam said:

What do IGN scores even mean anymore? (Not that they ever meant anything, but work with me here.) I thought the whole point was that they abandoned their stupid granular scale only to go back to it?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By abendlaender

A 7,6 from IGN is like a 3,4 from an actual magazine. Still good on them for at least trying to fix it.

Ryu no longer does such wantonly violent things like walk up to a helpless soldier that’s begging for his life and slashes him in half.

See, I like that

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Only problem is it's still Ninja Gaiden 3. Unless they've completely changed basic things in the game, it's still terrible.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By JasonR86

The only thing I was really interested in is what the reviewer had to say about the graphrics in the game and apparently he stated that, arguably, the graphics are worse then the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. That's not a good sign for future ports.

Sorasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sorasha

@CptBedlam: That system has worked for Dynasty Warriors all these years.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

Why does that review page look like it should be viewed from 15 metres away? Jesus that's a weird ass design.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JasonR86

@AlexW00d said:

Why does that review page look like it should be viewed from 15 metres away? Jesus that's a weird ass design.

It looks like they are trying to rip-off Polygon.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

@JasonR86 said:

@AlexW00d said:

Huh I guess. Shame really, Polygon's design is godawful.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@AlexW00d said:

@JasonR86 said:

@AlexW00d said:

Huh I guess. Shame really, Polygon's design is godawful.

Yes it is. But the last IGN design wasn't much better so...shit stays shitty I guess.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It seems that they just changed some things around the edges. Still looks like the combat and enemys and story and level design and graphics are all the same. Which is to say the game still looks really bad. Albeit less so than before. Not like the added gore changes anything and I do like that now you get more weapons than the Dragon Sword but with the combat so awful it don't much matter.

The biggest change seems to be that they made it harder which I'm curious how exactly did that. I remember hard on NG3 being a complete mess.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoOzak

@Ducksworth said:

GamesRadar and Destructoid have been less favourable. I've never really played Ninja Gaiden before so I actually had fun with the Ninja Gaiden 3 demo on PS3, a friend of mine convinced me to grab Sigma so I'll hopefully get a better point of comparison. Depending on how I feel about the games/genre afterwards I might get Sigma 2 and then eventually Razors Edge so I can really see what all the hate is about.

I'd say Black was the best version of Ninja Gaiden. Sigma just looked muddy and had worse camera control. It isnt a bad version (there is no bad version) but it isnt the best. (in my opinion)

Glad to see Team Ninja acknowledge the complete pile of trash that is Ninja Gaiden 3. Even if they didnt fix all the problems this at least bodes well for later iterations of the franchise. I'm still surprised Yosuke Hayashi thought it was a good idea to get rid of everything that made Ninja Gaiden what it was. I'll probably pick this up cheap around the time Bayonetta 2 comes out.

EDIT: I really wish they'd bring back essence though...

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blueduck
    @BoOzak said:

@Ducksworth said:

I'd say Black was the best version of Ninja Gaiden. Sigma just looked muddy and had worse camera control. It isnt a bad version (there is no bad version) but it isnt the best. (in my opinion)

Glad to see Team Ninja acknowledge the complete pile of trash that is Ninja Gaiden 3. Even if they didnt fix all the problems this at least bodes well for later iterations of the franchise. I'm still surprised Yosuke Hayashi thought it was a good idea to get rid of everything that made Ninja Gaiden what it was. I'll probably pick this up cheap around the time Bayonetta 2 comes out.

Yosuke Hayashi should be fired. NG2 Sigma = bad , Other M = awful, NG3 = abortion.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @blueduck OPINIONS.
    punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By punisherkaos

I won't buy anything lower then 7.7 this is unacceptable!!!

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By bed

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It seems that they just changed some things around the edges. Still looks like the combat and enemys and story and level design and graphics are all the same. Which is to say the game still looks really bad. Albeit less so than before. Not like the added gore changes anything and I do like that now you get more weapons than the Dragon Sword but with the combat so awful it don't much matter.

The biggest change seems to be that they made it harder which I'm curious how exactly did that. I remember hard on NG3 being a complete mess.

what he said. of course, i haven't played it for myself so i can't really say anything concrete, but this is what it looks like. could be wrong for all i know, but it looks like they haven't fixed enough of what made NG3 so bad to make it a competent action game, especially one that would be up there with Itagaki's NG games.

oh, and hard mode was an absolute travesty in NG3. it was one of the worst things that i have played this year.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BoOzak

@blueduck: I liked Other M. But the reasons people have for hating that game had nothing to do with Yosuke. I agree that the Sigma's werent as good as their predecessors though.

Also Why-TF does Razor's Edge look worse? I thought the Wii-U was meant to be more powerful than the 360/PS3?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ

So they fixed a broken game so it can be appreciated for what it really is: a bad one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @BoOzak

@blueduck: I liked Other M. But the reasons people have for hating that game had nothing to do with Yosuke. I agree that the Sigma's werent as good as their predecessors though.

Also Why-TF does Razor's Edge look worse? I thought the Wii-U was meant to be more powerful than the 360/PS3?

It was a question of detail versus frame rate, apparently. But from what I've seen, it doesn't look bad in any way.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By musubi

@Hailinel: They cited bad jaggies but honestly with as fast as the action (hopefully) moves I don't think you'd really have much time to start over analyzing shit. Hoping for a 360 port but if not I'll pick it up whenever I get a WiiU (a.k.a when Bayonetta 2 drops)

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoOzak

@Hailinel: Sure but you'd think with the added power of the Wii-U they wouldnt have to make those concessions.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ducksworth

@BoOzak said:

I've heard that Black is the one to play but unfortunately I don't own an Xbox and am not planning on getting it anytime soon so Sigma is really my only option. I was also considering the Devil May Cry HD collection so I can see what the rage around DmC is but based on reviews I'm not sure if the games aged poorly or not.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jack268
    @CptBedlam said:

7.6 is mediocre nowadays 

fuck
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Grissefar
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Sooty

9.8/10.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@BoOzak said:

@Hailinel: Sure but you'd think with the added power of the Wii-U they wouldnt have to make those concessions.

They were still likely working within the limitations of the code originally written for the PS3/Xbox 360. I have no idea what sort of coding/technical limitations they were running into beyond that. It doesn't really matter to me thoug because the game still looks great. I'm not the sort that flies into a hissy fit if a new game I'm playing doesn't have ZOMG 1337 gr4fix!!!!1

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CptBedlam

@Jack268 said:

@CptBedlam said:

7.6 is mediocre nowadays fuck

@CptBedlam said:

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rolanthas

Well as a fan of previous NG's, I liked NG3, especially the trials, and still play it with QTE indicators off etc. The difficulty was essentially broken, where hard / master ninja just meant you'd get more waves of enemies which hit harder, instead of increased patterns or combos, and fps suffered greatly on anything above normal. But it reeaaally wasn't a mash to win game beyond day 4, especially for any newcomers.

Anyway will be looking out for this one when I get my Wii U in the coming months. I'm really curious about SOB being a grab counter.

Hyunickel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hyunickel

I played the game originally and while it's certainly not that good, I kind of had fun with it. Needless to say, all the fun disappeared in the last few missions because the game dragged on like crazy. It just kept throwing the same things over and over.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Sackmanjones

So did anyone pick this version up? I never played the original game and could see myself picking it up

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.