Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 18, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is an upgraded version of Ninja Gaiden 3, featuring additions such as gameplay tweaks, dismemberment, multiple weapons, new playable characters, and online co-op.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge coming to 360/PS3

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Well, not officially yet but apparently Japanese retailers are listing the game for 360/PS3 with an April 4th release date. It also seems this version of the game will come with the free Kasumi/Momiji DLC already on the disc. I'm a goddamn sucker so I'll buy it because its fucking Ninja Gaiden and I woefully will purchase any Ninja Gaiden shit like the complete sucker I am. Still, excited to see if this pans out and if the WiiU version is the version we should have had all along.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/edigi/jan-4988615051111/

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

God damn it. That's only game I bought for my Wii U. Now I didn't even need to buy a Wii U. What the fuck else am I going to play on it? Mario... Pfft.

EDIT: I would like to clarify that I do indeed have a copy of Mario U. And the above comment is not a statement regarding the quality of Mario games. Merely that I have always found Mario games pretty boring since its inception.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By musubi

@LiquidPrince: Well you still have Bayonetta 2 man. Chin up...hopefully. >_>

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mrfluke

well, there goes the main sticking point to buy a WIIU for the time being, especially if the kasumi dlc will be in this collection.

gonna tag to this board as now dude wouldnt need to consider a WiiU anymore.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Demoskinos said:

@LiquidPrince: Well you still have Bayonetta 2 man. Chin up...hopefully. >_>

I guess. When is she coming out?

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By aurahack

Is Razor's Edge supposed to fix anything of what made 3 so... different? Or is it just some extra content stuff? D:

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By musubi

@aurahack: I haven't played it myself would be the one to ask. I believe they got rid of the Steel and Bone thing and changed some other combat bits. Also Ryu straight up has all his weapons in this version too. I wanna say they changed the way UT's work too but again... haven't had hands on.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrfluke

@aurahack: its supposed to apparently?, as this version actually got better reviews from people.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By musubi

I just hope they managed to iron out the frame rate to at LEAST a solid 30 frames. That was by far one of the worst offenses made by the original game was the absolutely insane fluctuating frame rate.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So are they still coming out with another sigma or is this basically it?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

I still have to play the copy of 3 I got on clearance...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke

@I_Stay_Puft: id think this is it for ninja gaiden 3. with the next gen coming up, and they still have yaiba to finish up. and to do proper good by ninja gaiden for next gen systems.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@Demoskinos said:

@aurahack: I haven't played it myself would be the one to ask. I believe they got rid of the Steel and Bone thing and changed some other combat bits. Also Ryu straight up has all his weapons in this version too. I wanna say they changed the way UT's work too but again... haven't had hands on.

Yeah, they removed the stell-and-bone QTEs and made other combat changes. There aren't any cowering enemies anymore, dismemberment is back and enemies will flip their shit when they get an arm or leg cut off, there's pretty good enemy variety, and in general it just feels like a really solid game. I never played the original version of NG3, but given what I know of that versus Razor's Edge, Razor's Edge is a much improved version, though if you have complaints regarding the story, they're probably not going to be resolved here.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

I have the game on Wii U and it's alright.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@LiquidPrince said:

God damn it. That's only game I bought for my Wii U. Now I didn't even need to buy a Wii U. What the fuck else am I going to play on it? Mario... Pfft.

EDIT: I would like to clarify that I do indeed have a copy of Mario U. And the above comment is not a statement regarding the quality of Mario games. Merely that I have always found Mario games pretty boring since its inception.

I poured a good 60+ hours into Warriors Orochi 3 on the Wii U, and I still need to go back and tackle the hardest difficulty.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@Demoskinos said:

Yeah, they removed the stell-and-bone QTEs and made other combat changes. There aren't any cowering enemies anymore, dismemberment is back and enemies will flip their shit when they get an arm or leg cut off, there's pretty good enemy variety, and in general it just feels like a really solid game. I never played the original version of NG3, but given what I know of that versus Razor's Edge, Razor's Edge is a much improved version, though if you have complaints regarding the story, they're probably not going to be resolved here.

How does it stack up vs. Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 in your opinion? Combat-wise, anyways.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel

@xobballox said:

@Hailinel said:

@Demoskinos said:

How does it stack up vs. Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 in your opinion? Combat-wise, anyways.

I can't really say. I never played Black and only part of NG2 Sigma.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

Damn I just bought the 360 collector's edition 2 days ago....oh well, I might pick this one up too in the future.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By musubi
    @Guided_By_Tigers Ouch well that sucks.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If this is priced low enough I might buy it. I don't like Ninja Gaiden 3 but I am super curious what the changes did to the game overall. I'm guessing little.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Bocam

Anyone play the Vita version of the first game? How does that one hold up?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Bocam said:

Anyone play the Vita version of the first game? How does that one hold up?

I don't think that is the ideal way to play the original but the core of it I bet is still fantastic. I would say to play Ninja Gaiden Black over Sigma and ps3 version over vita version. That last one is just a personal choice, probably fine on vita.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By toowalrus

@LiquidPrince: Bayonetta 2, SMT X Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Epic Yarn, Wind Waker HD, & Pikmin 3 make the WiiU a compelling purchase for me.

...some time in 2014, maybe.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@TooWalrus said:

@LiquidPrince: Bayonetta 2, SMT X Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Epic Yarn, Wind Waker HD, & Pikmin 3 make the WiiU a compelling purchase for me.

...some time in 2014, maybe.

*Turns and looks at the giant-ass stack of Wii U games he has yet to get through entirely.*

...I'm not picky.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By musubi
    @rebgav Because there were entire systems stripped and redone for this version. The WiiU version got much better reviews if that is any indication of the changes.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By musubi

So, new costumes are coming to the 360/PS3 versions and I don't know about anyone else but Ryu's costumes look fucking sick as hell.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Is this version actually worth playing for someone who's a huge fan of the series? If you'd told me me after 2 i would have zero interest in 3 I would have said you was talkin crazy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@rebgav said:

I am not an experienced, knowledgeable Ninja Gaiden fan. I have recently purchased Black and 2 and I've played through two or three missions in each and really enjoyed them. However, my first hands-on experience with the franchise was a rental of Ninja Gaiden 3 of which I completed the first mission and played part of the second before giving it up because controlling the character felt odd, the auto lock-on seemed to have a really crappy prioritization system and the camera seemed incapable of giving a useful overview of the action so that even in the first few areas I typically found myself auto-locked to enemies who weren't even on-screen. I also thought that the QTE elements and kunai climbing stopped the game in its tracks and seemed like tedious and archaic nonsense. Since then I've seen a lot more gameplay from NG3 and was clued-in to the fact that the combat system is so poorly conceived that most encounters could be cheesed by simply jumping into the air and firing arrows which allows you to put out a lot of damage while remaining out of reach of the enemies.

Given that the game is so deeply flawed I don't see why the return of blood and dismemberment as well as packing in some dlc would make this game worthy of a purchase, nor why a publisher would want to release it a second time. If you also take into account Team Ninja's other recent releases, DOA5 and Other M, I fail to see why anyone would continue to be excited by (or even interested in) the prospect of future releases from the developer.

DOA5 reviewed rather well, from what I recall, and Other M wasn't exactly reviewed terribly, either, unless a 79 Metacritic score is somehow abysmal.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

So, new costumes are coming to the 360/PS3 versions and I don't know about anyone else but Ryu's costumes look fucking sick as hell.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Those outfits are awful. Well the second Ryu is not bad. But kasumi and Ayane's are. Momijis I don't mind as much simply because I don't have any interest in that character. I agree with that the problems with Ninja Gaiden 3 were massive and to it's core design. Would take practically making another game to fix it. The changes I have heard of are minor if the combat is not fixed.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince

@ImmortalSaiyan: Kasumi and Momiji's are bad. The rest look pretty awesome.

@TheSouthernDandy: Yes. It's almost exactly like the other two after the update. The flow of the combat significantly changes once you have multiple ninpo and weapons. The traversal and level design aren't that different either. If you enjoyed the first two, you will definitely enjoy this one.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Those outfits are awful. Well the second Ryu is not bad. But kasumi and Ayane's are. Momijis I don't mind as much simply because I don't have any interest in that character. I agree with that the problems with Ninja Gaiden 3 were massive and to it's core design. Would take practically making another game to fix it. The changes I have heard of are minor if the combat is not fixed.

Disagree sir. I think Hoodless Ryu looks great. And while impractical for actually fighting in I think the girls costumes are just fine. Honestly, I think that Ayane costume is better than anything she got in DOA 5 (not counting DLC as I haven't been keeping up with that anyways)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel

@Demoskinos: Nah, the girls' new outfits displayed here don't look as good as the ones already in Razor's Edge on the Wii U. I have to imagine that these costumes will be making their way to the Wii U version in a content update, but they really do nothing for me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By musubi

@Hailinel said:

@Demoskinos: Nah, the girls' new outfits displayed here don't look as good as the ones already in Razor's Edge on the Wii U. I have to imagine that these costumes will be making their way to the Wii U version in a content update, but they really do nothing for me.

Thats, like, your opinion man.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By musubi

@rebgav said:

@Hailinel said:

DOA5 reviewed rather well, from what I recall, and Other M wasn't exactly reviewed terribly, either, unless a 79 Metacritic score is somehow abysmal.

Yeah, I'm going to have to be that guy because there's no polite way to put it but so what? Along with NG3 they form a triptych of uninspired, wrong-headed and/or broken games which have diminished the Team Ninja mark. DOA5 was the best of those three games in my opinion but it still had problematic netcode, the fighting system seemed a very minor and inconsistent upgrade from the previous versions, it was lumbered with dlc and pre-order bonuses which were met mostly with derision, and the story mode - by far the best part of the game, I think - was at least poorly presented if not actually nonsensical. That's the best game of the three. Had those games been met with an overwhelmingly positive critical response it wouldn't mean a thing, the games speak for themselves.

Every fucking game these days has pre-order DLC so using that as a slight against DOA5 is dumb. And of course the story is nonsensical that is what makes it so goddamn fun. The entire lore of DOA is fucking entirely stupid in an awesome way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@Demoskinos said:

@rebgav said:

@Hailinel said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to be that guy because there's no polite way to put it but so what? Along with NG3 they form a triptych of uninspired, wrong-headed and/or broken games which have diminished the Team Ninja mark. DOA5 was the best of those three games in my opinion but it still had problematic netcode, the fighting system seemed a very minor and inconsistent upgrade from the previous versions, it was lumbered with dlc and pre-order bonuses which were met mostly with derision, and the story mode - by far the best part of the game, I think - was at least poorly presented if not actually nonsensical. That's the best game of the three. Had those games been met with an overwhelmingly positive critical response it wouldn't mean a thing, the games speak for themselves.

Every fucking game these days has pre-order DLC so using that as a slight against DOA5 is dumb. And of course the story is nonsensical that is what makes it so goddamn fun. The entire lore of DOA is fucking entirely stupid in an awesome way.

And I actually found the story mode fairly coherent once I realized how the timeline was organized.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

Thats, like, your opinion man.

I'm with you I really like the new costumes.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos: Just because everyone is doing something doesn't make it right

As for the game I'm still not interested seeing as it is still NG3 just with legs popping off every now and then

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By musubi

@rebgav said:

@Demoskinos said:

Every fucking game these days has pre-order DLC so using that as a slight against DOA5 is dumb.

The fact of the dlc wasn't the problem as I recall, it was that the content was retailer specific bikini costumes or something equally asinine.

Which was exclusive for a few months and now is up for download for anyone. So, again don't see the issue.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@LiquidPrince: Cool, that's good to hear. That particular itch hasn't been scratched in a while.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hailinel

@rebgav said:

@Demoskinos said:

Every fucking game these days has pre-order DLC so using that as a slight against DOA5 is dumb.

The fact of the dlc wasn't the problem as I recall, it was that the content was retailer specific bikini costumes or something equally asinine.

DOA5 isn't the first game to feature retailer-specific costume DLC.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hailinel

@rebgav said:

@Hailinel: @Demoskinos: Why did it have to be (fuzzy bunny themed) bikinis? Apart from the obviously cynical and salacious reasons, it embraces the pre-existing perception that the game is not to be thought of as a legitimate competitive fighter as it's more concerned with boob physics and half-naked anime ninjas. What did they gain by confirming a bias against the game and what does it say about how the people involved in selling that game perceive their audience?

I'm not suggesting that the costumes shouldn't be in the game but it's one thing to maintain an established aesthetic and another to make a calculated decision to offer it as the bait which is supposed to bring in advance orders of their product, or additional profits after the fact. There are other, much more awesome alternate costumes in the game so why go straight to scrapping the bottom of the barrel and holding up the leavings as if they're supposed to be a desirous offering to the fans? Especially when you're actually selling the most legit fighting game in the franchise, it just seems ill-conceived to me.

Well, here's a question for you. Why not?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By musubi

@rebgav said:

@Hailinel: @Demoskinos: Why did it have to be (fuzzy bunny themed) bikinis? Apart from the obviously cynical and salacious reasons, it embraces the pre-existing perception that the game is not to be thought of as a legitimate competitive fighter as it's more concerned with boob physics and half-naked anime ninjas. What did they gain by confirming a bias against the game and what does it say about how the people involved in selling that game perceive their audience?

I'm not suggesting that the costumes shouldn't be in the game but it's one thing to maintain an established aesthetic and another to make a calculated decision to offer it as the bait which is supposed to bring in advance orders of their product, or additional profits after the fact. There are other, much more awesome alternate costumes in the game so why go straight to scrapping the bottom of the barrel and holding up the leavings as if they're supposed to be a desirous offering to the fans? Especially when you're actually selling the most legit fighting game in the franchise, it just seems ill-conceived to me.

Because there is a sect of DOA fans that absolutely expect the fan-service that doesn't automatically exclude it from being a serious fighter. And its has more of a competitive scene so far that previous games. And they keep all of that fan-servicy stuff to the side you have to actively seek it out if you want it. Most of the default costumes are relatively conservative for DOA. That way you can appease the people who want to buy all the DLC and get school girl costumes without forcing it down the throats of people who don't want to see it because unless you have a costume pack downloaded you don't see it online.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mrfluke

@Demoskinos said:

@rebgav said:

Because there is a sect of DOA fans that absolutely expect the fan-service that doesn't automatically exclude it from being a serious fighter. And its has more of a competitive scene so far that previous games. And they keep all of that fan-servicy stuff to the side you have to actively seek it out if you want it. Most of the default costumes are relatively conservative for DOA. That way you can appease the people who want to buy all the DLC and get school girl costumes without forcing it down the throats of people who don't want to see it because unless you have a costume pack downloaded you don't see it online.

pretty much this.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By musubi

So TecmoKoei released pictures of the BoxArt today... SURPRISE its the same box art.

In other more interesting news the game was confirmed to NOT be full $60 price point and instead it will retail at launch for $40. That $40 price point makes this easier to jump back into for sure even though I was going to buy it regardless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.