Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS or 3DS XL?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By imhungry

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and get a 3DS, but now that the XL is out I'm not so sure which one I should get. It's been 2 weeks since the XL was released, so I'd be interested in hearing thoughts and opinions on it, like how comfortable is it to hold, is the big screen really that much better etc. especially from people who upgraded from the old to the new.

Basically, as a new owner, should I go for the XL or not?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I got the XL right off the bat. The 3d can be moody at times and you gotta hold it JUST right. 

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By awadnin

3DS XL is better than the original one, I hope this video will help to make the right decision.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Easily the XL, the original 3DS has shockingly poor design that it's size advantage means very little.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I have both and the XL is better in about every way.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF

@ImHungry said:

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and get a 3DS, but now that the XL is out I'm not so sure which one I should get. It's been 2 weeks since the XL was released, so I'd be interested in hearing thoughts and opinions on it, like how comfortable is it to hold, is the big screen really that much better etc. especially from people who upgraded from the old to the new.

Basically, as a new owner, should I go for the XL or not?

All you hear everywhere is that if you're new to 3DS, get an XL.

I own a regular 3DS and I'd love to have an XL.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By korolev

If you're buying a new one, get the XL. I don't have an XL, because I specifically wanted a 3DS for cheap, and once the XL came out, my local store starting selling the original 3DS at a discount to move stock. But I'm a cheap-skate, and unless you are one as well, don't do what I did.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePaleKing

@Korolev said:

If you're buying a new one, get the XL. I don't have an XL, because I specifically wanted a 3DS for cheap, and once the XL came out, my local store starting selling the original 3DS at a discount to move stock. But I'm a cheap-skate, and unless you are one as well, don't do what I did.

This is what I'm thinking of doing. I mean I can't see any major differences other than that it is bigger...which isn't actually something I'm looking for with a handheld.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@ThePaleKing said:

@Korolev said:

This is what I'm thinking of doing. I mean I can't see any major differences other than that it is bigger...which isn't actually something I'm looking for with a handheld.

It's actually nearly the same size, so it won't take up significantly more room in your pocket or anything. The XL part is the screen, which now takes up most of the available space on the top half, instead of leaving a bunch of wasted, non-screen space being taken up by plastic.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By s-a-n-JR

First 3DS I bought was the XL. After using it for a couple weeks now, I honestly can't imagine using a 3DS with smaller screens. The XL just seems perfect.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MideonNViscera

Absolutely the XL. It's the premium experience, for only a few dollars more. Better battery, bigger screens, more comfortable to hold, double sized SD card, and it's not even that much bigger.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn

The only reason not to get an XL at this point is if you already have a 3DS. The "upgrade" is not worth the money, if you ask me. It's not a huge leap, like it was from the DS Lite to the DSi. But if it's your first 3DS, by all means, get the XL.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By Hizang

You need to understand that the 3D works better in the original, but then you need to understand that the 3D is the least appealing and useful feature in the 3DS.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@Hizang said:

You need to understand that the 3D works better in the original, but then you need to understand that the 3D is the least appealing and useful feature in the 3DS.

Wat?. that sounds like BS on both counts. The 3D effect on 3DS XL improves upon the originals, that's partly why it was made in the first place. The wider screens increase the 3D viewing angle and the new screen filter reduces glare significantly, equating to better 3D.

The only negative is larger visible pixels and yellow tinge to the screen.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hizang

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hizang said:

Wat?. that sounds like BS on both counts. The 3D effect on 3DS XL improves upon the originals, that's partly why it was made in the first place. The wider screens increase the 3D viewing angle and the new screen filter reduces glare significantly, equating to better 3D.

Nope, the 3D effect is harder to achieve due to its size bump, have you not listened to the bombcast?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By AndrewB

The Xtra Tall 3DS. I mean, it's the closest you're going to get to what the 3DS should have been at launch. They didn't nail that second analog stick, but they put in a bigger battery. The only thing I don't like about it personally is the external design. I think it looks hideous. Yes, even compared to the Zombie mish-mash of the DS, DS Lite, and DSI that was the original 3DS. That's a personal preference, though.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By JCGamer

I just bought the XL when it was released and love it. I do think the viewing angle for 3D can be a bit wonky, but not a deal breaker. I can't imagine playing with a smaller screen.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hizang

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hizang said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@Hizang said:

Nope, the 3D effect is harder to achieve due to its size bump, have you not listened to the bombcast?

lol, I don't need to listen to some shitty podcast!, I own one!, besides, there views an opinions often tend to suck balls - well off the mark. Didn't one of the GB team claim handheld gaming was dead last year? - LOL

There masses of people who know it's better, it's clearly the common consensus:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57477841-235/nintendos-3ds-xl-comes-with-less-glare-better-3d-performance/

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/6-reasons-why-the-3ds-xl-is-better-than-the-3ds-20120723/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/355690/3ds-xl-hands-on-video-lighter-better-3d-more-comfortable/?site=cvg

I've also tried one myself, the 3D effect is harder to achieve due to the size bump..

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cannonballbam

I still think it is unfortunate that Japan didn't receive an AC adapter with the XL models.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@cannonballBAM said:

I still think it is unfortunate that Japan didn't receive an AC adapter with the XL models.

On the other hand, I'm 90% sure the XL uses the same AC adapter as the regular 3DS (and a lot of people were upgrading from 3DS to 3DS LL), and also the same AC adapter as the regular old DS. If we are to assume that pretty much everyone owned a DS, Japan should be fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.