Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Am I the only one that'll miss the 3D once the 3DS dies?

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nagafen

I played through A Link Between Worlds and it really adds so much to the experience. I tried turning the 3D off and it just wasn't anywhere near as good, the depth just really helps. There are a few other games that make such great use of it like 3D Land and Mario Kart... I just don't want to go back to 2D now.

I know 3D got a lot of hate and continues to do so because the technology has been implemented rather poorly and leads to eye strain. However they finally got it working really well with the New 3DS and it can only get better if companies focused on it a bit more. It also really comes down to how well the game makes use of it, for example Tomb Raider Underworld looked so amazing in 3D, it's one of the few games where things actually looked like they were coming out at me. I could easily imagine Uncharted 4 doing the same thing... though obviously we'll never get to experience that.

I'll just be sad to see it gone, a great concept that was killed off because it was done poorly for the most part. I know we have VR now, but I have a headset and I rarely use it because I cannot be bothered to put it all on and set it up each time. I just want to sit down and relax, something where 3D causes no extra effort to experience if the screen has it built in like the 3DS.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I feel you, I had been playing lots of 2D on my 3DS since Hyrule Warriors has real low fps unless you disable 3D and Zero Time Dilemma doesn't support it all. When I finally played some Monster Hunter 4 for the first time in months I had almost forgotten how great the 3D is in that game and was kind of blown away with it. 60fps 3D looks amazing.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ripelivejam

yeah ive pretty much disabled 3d for performance and battery reasons (and wireless which freakin kills the standby battery life), but i also used it for a good long time and i still think it's a neat effect. in the end i'll miss it but not too much.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I did always think it was a little odd that in a time where everyone constantly jabbers on about resolution and framerate, they always forgot 3D. Good implemented 3D has much more of an effect than either of those other two. That said, I have near-constant migraines, so I can't experience 3D for long periods of time.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

I like(d) the 3D, as far as I can remember I never turned it off. Even in games that only used it for aesthetics rather than gameplay I thought it looked neat, having the streetlights pop out in Shadow Wars and such.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I'll miss it. I think it's a cool little effect and I've always had it turned on while never experiencing any problems.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never got the eyestrain or the headaches that people got from the 3DS. It almost always enhanced the game and I never turned it of.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
    lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always just felt like a complete gimmick to me, and a waste of processing power.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turn it on for cutscenes and stuff, but there's very few games I felt have benefited from having it on during actual gameplay. Mario 3D Land springs to mind.

Lately I've been going through the new Fire Emblem and have left it off almost entirely. It just drains the battery too fast, and after a bit it starts to hurt my eyes. I wouldn't mind if their next handheld strips the feature out entirely.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

To be completely honest, you could take out the 3D from my 3DS and I wouldn't notice. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that it drains the battery faster and you have to look at the screen dead on, which isn't always ideal.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

You're not the only one, but I would much rather see it disappear entirely. I don't think it was ever even implemented in a way that actually matters except for a handful of moments in Super Mario 3D Land, and even then I remember being able to do those things without needing the 3D.

One of my eyes is better than the other. If I close my right eye, things look a lot blurrier than if I were to close my left eye. This means that no matter which way I turn the 3DS and no matter where I put the slider, nothing looks right. The effect with menus in Etrian Odyssey games was sometimes pretty cool, but even there I wound up leaving it off because I'd notice how weird the 3D is and it would take me out of the game. It never really gave me a headache, though that's probably because I never left it on for very long.

I'm not going to complain if Nintendo's next handheld has 3D, as long as I can turn it off, but I do think it's ultimately a waste of time because, as has been mentioned, it kills the battery life and it puts a strain on an already weak processor for no real benefit other than an effect that looks cool to some people and causes discomfort to some others.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LeStephan

I love it as well! And for me the 3d finally works perfectly since Ive gotten the new small 3ds. Shinobi III from the eshop looks so awesome with 3d layers and I have a hard time playing space harrier on anything but a 3ds with the 3d cranked up. The 3d on ace combat is pretty cool as well. Oh and the 3d often obfuscates the in 2d sometimes unbearable jaggies of some games on the 3ds in my experience.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By wadtomaton

I haven't played a ton on my 3DS, the most recent thing I've played through is Link Between Worlds, and a few times I tried turning the 3d off, but it felt wrong until I turned it back on. I had the same issue when I was playing Bravely Default, there was just something about it not being in 3D that I found odd. I find 3d a neat novelty, if I can find a good sale, I'm thinking of eventually picking up a 3d vision kit for my computer since my monitor supports it (just doesn't have the built in emitter (which sadly means it wouldn't do any 3d on my ps3 :( )

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's always just felt like a complete gimmick to me, and a waste of processing power.

Yeah, I've only used it a handful of times, and the idea that it drains the battery even faster doesn't exactly sound appealing. Wish the 3DS had better resolution instead.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't turned on the 3D in months.

It's a neat effect but to me it ultimately detracts from the experience, since my hands move a bit while playing games and I easily lose the sweet spot (rocking an old 3ds XL)

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I tend to not play much in 3D, but it's more due to my own eyes than anything else. I have a hard time keeping the 3DS properly oriented and I seem to "fall" out of 3D more than I would like. I'm sure it's a me thing, like I'm holding the 3DS wrong or my head is at a weird angle or whatever, but it strains my eyes a bit too much so I gave up on it. I do try it occasionally and some games are really neat with the 3D, especially LOZ: A Link Between Worlds, but I think it's a gimmick that I can honestly live without.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I thought glasses-less 3D was a neat idea, but at the end of the day I just preferred to play in 2D. A Link Between Worlds and Mario 3D Land may have given reason to use it, but they were minor and I didn't find I missed much playing those games in 2D.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always disliked 3D effects, i can see 3D just fine and i get it it just doesn't do anything for me, it's a dumb distraction and after the first day i've never used 3D on a 3DS.
    I feel the same way about VR, there are some interactions i'd like to do with the motion controllers on the Vive but it's completely unrelated to the headset or 3D.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm as much a hater of 3D as you can get. That said, the 3DS really executed well on the concept, and no glasses makes all the difference for me. I'll miss it for sure.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stand 3D glasses free or not. Within minutes I get an instant headache even with the 3D on the lowest setting. I think what they did with the technology is cool but I cannot use it.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't miss it. It works fine for me, especially on the New 3DS, but I still rarely turn it on. Mario 3D Land is the only game I've played that made any case for 3D, and even that game didn't demonstrate why it was essential. That said, I mostly play RPGs and turn-based strategy games, so maybe it's more impactful in other games I haven't played.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superfriend

Maybe Nintendo's next thing will have some.. other kind of deal?! I don't know, but with all their secrecy it could possibly mean two things:

1. They have a revolutionary brain-hookup that instantly sends all the stuff right trough your skull (In that case it would be 3D, right?)

2. They are having huge issues with parts and manufacturing and the console/thing is not going to be that revolutionary

Personally, I don't think the loss of 3D in the handheld space or with TVs is a big deal. It always had huge problems. It belongs in VR, where it actually works pretty well.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ColossalGhost

It will be a sad day when the 3D games are no longer made.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Because of my shitty eyesight, I've never been able to see the 3D. It always looked out of sync. I'd have to close/squint one eye to have it line up.

I only just discovered how to turn the 3D fully off (because I'm an idiot). I used to slide the slider all the way down, but never realised it could 'click' down to turn the 3D off fully. Has made playing 3DS games a lot better now.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll miss it for sure. I only have a 3DS; still looking forward to getting a "new 3DS" to see the improved 3d tracking stuff.

I kind of hate the inevitable arguments along the lines of it being "non-essential" to most games. Which is definitely true, but also better than the alternative of every game trying to make 3D the centerpiece vs. just one ingredient. I think of it the same way I do graphics...most games would play the same with better or worse graphics, but better graphics can add to the overall experience. I guess basically I'm saying that I found it non-intrusive and fun to look at.

A recent example of missing 3D was Zero Time Dilemma--I was pretty disappointed that it didn't support the 3D slider, especially because it's not like it was traded for better effects or anything like that.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've been replaying a lot of 3DS zelda games.... and I've been turning the 3D off.... normally I'd have that cranked up all the time but I don't know.... like A Link Between Worlds probably the best 3D game ever.... and I beat it again on hero a couple weeks ago, and I just couldn't stand how turning my head just went off alignment, or even just moving the 3DS during a fight.... I feel bad since I was the biggest endorser of 3D and now I'm like shutting it off even on games I love.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.