Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Anyone have a 2DS or views on it?

MC_Tic_Tac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My GF and I are looking at getting a 3ds but really are not bother about the 3-D, and we have seen the new 2ds around and are wondering if the 2ds is any good compared to any of the current 3ds models?

She will mainly play puzzle and mobile style games while I'll be after Zelda, and Advanced Wars style games, and maybe pokemon.

Cheers.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It looks really fucking stupid. Otherwise it seems perfectly functional. I can't comment on its comfort, though.

Anyway, I'd recommend getting an XL if you can. I couldn't imagine playing 3DS games on a smaller screen. You never have to use the 3D, either, you just slide the slider down to the bottom and leave it there like everyone else does.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I bought one for my mom and I think it's pretty comfortable, as for the look... it's alright I guess. I did notice that the games looked a lot better on the 2DS because I think the screen quality is a bit higher in the 2DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The price difference between the two isn't that great, and the the 2DS, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't fold up like a 3DS, so it's probably something you'd have to carry around in your hand as opposed to the pocket. That said, a 3DS XL is a a pretty tight fit. Also, I didn't really care about the 3D much either, but since you want to play Zelda, you should know that the 3D for that game is actually really good. All the layers, like cliffs and chasms, in the map are suited for the depth-oriented 3D of the system.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

My friend has one and prefers it over the regular 3DS. If you aren't willing to fork over enough cash for the XL (Or just don't care about the big screens) it seems like a good option.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@mc_tic_tac said:

My GF and I are looking at getting a 3ds but really are not bother about the 3-D, and we have seen the new 2ds around and are wondering if the 2ds is any good compared to any of the current 3ds models?

She will mainly play puzzle and mobile style games while I'll be after Zelda, and Advanced Wars style games, and maybe pokemon.

Cheers.

My friend has a 2DS it's a perfectly fine handheld that plays all 3DS games perfectly, it's ok to hold and works as perfect as you would expect.

Myself personally, I would spend the extra on a 3DS or an XL just because the hinged closing design is genius for a portable handheld and protects the screens.

If you aren't interested in portability or the 2DS being slightly less comfortable to hold than it's a perfectly fine option for 3DS gaming.

Plus Pokemon has serious frame rate issues with 3D turned on and 3D really screws with my eyes even in short uses. You can't really go wrong either way.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By egg

I haven't used 2DS but as someone who can't stop thinking about how awesome it is, I must point out some things in its defense:

• its L/R buttons are shaped ergonomically
    • the dpad is not placed at the very bottom of the unit, making it the more ideal model for games that use dpad (and all DS games)
    • You're holding it by the middle (center of weight) rather than the bottom.
    • it's wedge shaped rather than flat, so you have presumably a more comfortable hold on it, much like a controller
    • no hinge, no screen wobbling while playing, no added heaviness of 2nd screen. (simply by unfolding a DS/3DS you're practically doubling its weight)
    • it's the least expensive model (130 2DS ... 170 3DS ... 200 3DS Jumbo)

It has mono sound (when not using headphones) which for me is the only actually bad thing about it.

I don't recommend the 3DS XL that's for sure. Dpad too low, slider too high, the controls are so high you have to crane your index fingers to reach the L/R buttons, and the touchscreen has like a fortress wall built around it for some reason. Also keep in mind it's the heaviest DS/3DS model of all time, even heavier than DSi XL and DS fat. Many forum users claim to like the 3DS XL however, so take it as you will. I own one and do not think it's great.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg: Doubling the weight by unfolding? What? But, but, but, physics? You might be altering the balence and making it feel heavier but you aren't changing the weight of the unit.

I like the 3DS XL and don't really understand the "It's too heavy" thing. It's not heavier than an Xbox 360 controller so it's not like holding it for hours is some great burden. Also while I don't generally play with 3D turned on because it's real inconvenient to have to hold the device in a very specific position while on public transit, the 3D effect can be very cool at times and I probably wouldn't want to trade the ability to use it for $40.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By egg

@bigsocrates said:

@egg: Doubling the weight by unfolding? What? But, but, but, physics? You might be altering the balence and making it feel heavier but you aren't changing the weight of the unit.

I like the 3DS XL and don't really understand the "It's too heavy" thing. It's not heavier than an Xbox 360 controller so it's not like holding it for hours is some great burden. Also while I don't generally play with 3D turned on because it's real inconvenient to have to hold the device in a very specific position while on public transit, the 3D effect can be very cool at times and I probably wouldn't want to trade the ability to use it for $40.

Exactly as you say.. you're making it feel heavier. If you take any object, such as a keyboard, and were to hold it perpendicular to the ground, it is easy if you hold it by the middle, but more difficult if you held it by either side. Over extended periods of use it becomes increasingly obnoxious. (and don't get me started on screen wobble) As you can see it has less to do with the actual weight of the object, but how much that weight is magnified.

That is why I no longer like the clamshell design, period, particularly when it comes to XL models. And since Nintendo dominates handhelds, it is easy to go without realizing how damn liberating it feels to hold a handheld game system that doesn't have another device rigged to it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@egg said:

I haven't used 2DS but as someone who can't stop thinking about how awesome it is, I must point out some things in its defense:

• its L/R buttons are shaped ergonomically
    • the dpad is not placed at the very bottom of the unit, making it the more ideal model for games that use dpad (and all DS games)
    • You're holding it by the middle (center of weight) rather than the bottom.
    • it's wedge shaped rather than flat, so you have presumably a more comfortable hold on it, much like a controller
    • no hinge, no screen wobbling while playing, no added heaviness of 2nd screen. (simply by unfolding a DS/3DS you're practically doubling its weight)
    • it's the least expensive model (130 2DS ... 170 3DS ... 200 3DS Jumbo)

It has mono sound (when not using headphones) which for me is the only actually bad thing about it.

I don't recommend the 3DS XL that's for sure. Dpad too low, slider too high, the controls are so high you have to crane your index fingers to reach the L/R buttons, and the touchscreen has like a fortress wall built around it for some reason. Also keep in mind it's the heaviest DS/3DS model of all time, even heavier than DSi XL and DS fat. Many forum users claim to like the 3DS XL however, so take it as you will. I own one and do not think it's great.

You must have some seriously small and weak hands, duder.

And the top half is only like a fourth of the total weight. That's probably not correct at all, but I've never seen anyone complain about the top half being too heavy. It's a lot lighter, actually.

The screen does wobble some, however. Wish those hinges were a little tighter. Still, huge screens and it's comfortable in my hands.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By egg

Maybe I have frail arms, lol. That said..

The top screen might be lighter than the bottom half, I wasn't denying that, but the point still stands that it's something which you're not holding, and is creating a weight lever.

Not to mention the top half contains 2 screens (to create 3D effect) resulting in it being heavier than it would have been if there was no 3D.

MC_Tic_Tac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well thank for the feedback guys.

We the GF is a student and always has a bag with her and I always have a bag with me so size/transport ain't a issue.

While I do not think it is an issue she does have epilepsy but I don't the 3-d has any bearing on it.

D pad/button placement is a issue for me as the placement of the left thumb stick on all incarnations of PlayStation controllers is the one thing stopping me from having a PS, and when I was a games tester for Free Radical Design using it was painful.

Also when she had her last regular 3ds years ago she did some how break the hinge mechanism!

Might wait till the new year to see what happens with prices, but thanks again everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.