Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Do you use a Screen Protector on your 3DS XL Bottom Screen?

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Do you use a Screen Protector on your 3DS XL Bottom Screen? (100 votes)

YES! 20%
    NO! 80%

I've always used screen protectors...for cell phones, my iPad, and, especially, my DSi to prevent any scratches from the stylus.

However, I just bought a 3DS XL, and I found that neither ZAGG nor BestSkinsEver make screen protectors for the bottom screen of the 3DS XL. After reading some forums, it seems some people have problems with the "wet-install" process messing up the touch screen.

So, I ordered a Hori Screen Protector...which is now in the garbage after getting bubbles that I couldn't get out...

I also know there are a lot of people that just don't use screen protectors and don't have problems.

Therefore, I wanted to get opinions on why you do or don't use a screen protector. If you do use one, which one? If you don't, have you ever developed scratches on your screen from the stylus?

Thanks!

• 
    TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No. I am an adult with full control of my faculties. I know the difference between the stylus and a nearby steak knife.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By deerokus

Screen protectors are worse than pointless. They're softer than the screens they're used to 'protect'. Anything which would damage the screen will damage it with or without the protector, but with a protector on you'll get marks and scratches on the protector which wouldn't have appeared on the screen.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By egg

I dislike the idea of screen protectors.. don't want to go through the trouble of applying them without getting dust/lint/hair/moisture/bubbles under them, and while having to make sure they line up evenly. (oh, and $10 to buy one in the first place) Even after all that, a screen protector is still able to get scratched, right? So it's not really accomplishing anything. Personally I feel it is not worth it.

p.s. a shameful secret.. I bought a stylus which came with screen protectors in 2 sizes. (normal and XL) I did not use the screen protectors, I just bought it for the stylus. Here is the product in fact:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-3ds-xl-pro-stylus-screen-armor-kit-rf-gds1301-rf-gds1301/10217131.aspx

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you don't press too hard with the stylus, you won't scratch the screen. I played it a lot a few weeks back (before Virtue's Last Reward corrupted my save... Argh...), and not a single scratch on the thing.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I never have. I'm not even too keen on cases (I do have a binder to store my 3DS and games). I take very good care of my devices and have never felt like I needed a screen protector. My two year old iPhone doesn't even have a scratch on it, and I have that with me everywhere.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FakeKisser

I ordered another Hori and some eforcity screens (since eforcity are cheap and may be worth a shot). I'll give the Hori one more try (and another $9). I will try the humidity trick.

When I installed the Hori the first time, I just got several specks of dust underneath, even after using a microfiber cloth, and I couldn't figure out a way to salvage the screen protector (because the specks were stuck to it). So, that's why I had to just throw it away. With Best Skins Ever (wet-apply), I can just take them off, re-wet them and try again.

Anyway, I also ordered a rubber-tip stylus from Amazon. So, if the Hori doesn't work this time, I may just go protector-less.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tehbull said:

No. I am an adult with full control of my faculties. I know the difference between the stylus and a nearby steak knife.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vuud

I can never get them on there right and it ends up looking like garbage. I did it for my touchscreen GPS receiver and ended up getting dust trapped under the protector anyway, along with some air bubbles. There isn't much point to screen protectors anyway even though I am pretty obsessive about scratches to stuff like screens and CDs.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Nope. I tend to use my finger for touching and when I use my stylus, I'm very gentle.

Also, it feels much better not using a screen protector.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/81005/2580087-ssf.gif

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rasrimra

I use the Hori one with no problems. Screen is as responsive as before, and I don't notice it's there. Unlike others here I do end up getting scratches on my screen when using the stylus (cause of games like Elite Beat Agents that make you draw circles as fast as you can on the touch screen).
    I do know that (almost?) every other brand of screen protectors is bad and has bubbles very quickly or is sticky or makes the screen dark or makes it unresponsive. So if you do use one just buy Hori.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scampbell

No screen protector, if there are any scratches I haven't noticed them.

@random45 said:

As long as you don't press too hard with the stylus, you won't scratch the screen. I played it a lot a few weeks back (before Virtue's Last Reward corrupted my save... Argh...), and not a single scratch on the thing.

Did you save in the Library too? Having to replay a third of the game really sucks, but man was it worth it.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got one on my screen and honestly don't see the need as I am pretty careful when playing games on it anyway/rarely use the touchscreen for some of them.

However, I have found it somewhat unresponsive in the middle and I am unsure whether it is simply the 3ds screen or the protector itself

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No screen protector, if there are any scratches I haven't noticed them.

@random45 said:

Did you save in the Library too? Having to replay a third of the game really sucks, but man was it worth it.

Saved in the Pantry. I'm going to get a Vita and play the game on that, because I hear the game-breaking bug only affects the 3DS version of the game.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using a Hori one here, by some miracle I applied it correctly first time, so the bottom screen looks and functions as it did before. As mentioned above, I was a little worried that prolonged use of rhythm games might do a number on the screen, so for me it was worth it for the peace of mind.

Had I botched the installation though, I probably wouldn't have bothered trying again.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have concerns about if/when I play games like Elite Beat Agents that require a lot of stylus movement. Even if a screen protector scratched more, that is replaceable. Replacing a screen is much more work...

However, most games won't require that much stylus movement, and the rubber-tip stylus is on the way...And it's just my wife and me using the 3DS.

So, while I do get nervous about possible scratches on a screen that isn't easily replaceable, it's nice to know most people don't have problems when they don't use a screen protector.

P.S. As an experiment, I posed the same question at CAG and the poll got the opposite results.
    :P

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ervonymous

I have six devices with touch screens and only one of them doesn't have a screen protector. It's more of a peace of mind thing, they're not expensive and there's no downside to the actually good ones so why not, just in case.

My phat DS got some wear and tear from the slingshot mini game in Super Mario 64, that worn out stylus might as well have been a steak knife.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Zeg

My old DS screen had some pretty easily visible vertical scratch lines on the touch screen form how much I played Meteos (and I mean played, not cheaply scrubbed up and down randomly), but I never thought they were all that bad. So when I got a 3DS and had to send it in for repairs right away (for a broken camera), and then had the Nintendo repair place send back some official screen protectors, I tried to put them on. But I just couldn't get them to go. The recessed nature of the bottom screen just makes the whole process so fiddly. So I said screw it and I'll probably get another pair of screen protectors when I have to send it in for repairs again shortly too heh.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By wchigo

I generally use screen protectors on my items, for the peace of mind. iPhone, iPad, Vita, 3DS XL... the place I buy my iDevices from throws the protector in for free and applies it for me, so why not? The Vita and 3DS XL ones I bought and the guy at the store applied them for me as well; I once bought screen protectors for my 3DS but couldn't get the bottom one to go (the dimensions of it were actually larger than the bottom screen, so weird!) so I gave up on that.

Again, they're not all that expensive and it gives me peace of mind, even though I'm careful with my devices.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an update... I installed the Hori (second one I purchased). It was still a hassle, because I still had to deal with dust specks, but I was able to get them off and the screen protector is now basically invisible.

The big game-changer for me on this second attempt to install the screen protector was using scotch tape to lift up the screen protector after seeing dust specs underneath it and then using the tape to remove the dust. It took me a few minutes, but I was able to get all the dust out from under the screen and get it perfect.

With the first Hori, I saw dust specks, tried lifting the screen protector with my fingers, and I bent the corner, And I wasn't sure how to remove the specks without getting finger prints on it. So, the tape was invaluable.

I also installed it in my bathroom after running a hot shower. I'm not sure how much that helped, since I still had to deal with dust, but it didn't hurt. :)

Ultimately, I put screen protectors on devices for piece of mind, because I know that any scratch on a screen protector is temporary whereas a scratch on the actual screen requires a lot more work to fix.

So, for now, I'm set. If this screen gets a bunch of scratches really quick, I may just take it off and not replace it, but if it lasts a while, I will be happy and will be more likely to swap it out for another screen protector.

***Also, I got my Elago "Grip" Stylus, and I recommend it to everyone! It has a rubber tip that feels nice and will definitely be less likely to cause any scratches. Plus, it is comfortable to hold. The only downside is "storing" it, since it obviously doesn't fit in the stylus slot.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By egg

I noticed yesterday that I still have the 3DS and 3DS XL screen protectors...

Does anyone want them? :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.