Many of you might remember Jeff talking about how the 3DS was hard to find during the last holiday season. Well, as a followup, here's the retail situation for the 3DS a week or two after the Nintendo Switch, based off of my search for a non-XL new 3DS:
- Online (Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop): Not in stock, except for 2DSes at Gamestop. The sites that support it (Amazon, Walmart) have third parties selling every SKU at a not-insignificant markup.
- Various Walmarts in Phoenix, AZ area: No new 3DSes, but like clockwork every store had exactly one 2DS on sale.
- Various Walmarts in Tucson, AZ (two hours south of Phx): One red new 3DS XL at one store, one Galaxy Style at another (since sold)
- Various Targets in Phoenix area: sold out
- Target in Tucson: sold out
It seems NoA quietly stopped shipments for the 3DS in order to make way for the Switch. Ignoring their pledge to keep supporting it (c'mon we all knew the truth about that), this arguably makes the 3DS (specifically the non-XL new 3DS, since that was always de-emphasized in the US) harder to find than even the Switch. More shipments of the Switch in a week or two will alleviate some of its demand, but we may never get another shipment of the 3DS again.
Side-note: Because of the markup on US units sold by third parties, it's actually cheaper in most instances to import a Japanese console and then mod it to be US region.