Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Just bought a 3DS, looking for game recommendations

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Hey all, I just bought a New 3DS XL in advance of some international traveling I'll be doing in July to help keep me occupied on the plane. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube/GBA era and have not been following Nintendo news very closely, so I was hoping to get some recommendations from users here on what games to get. I am open to Virtual Console, 3DS, eShop, and DS recommendations. Let me know what has entertained you on the 3DS and what you think is must-own!

(I bought the Pokemon Sapphire and Ocarina of Time remakes along with the system)

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The two that immediately come to mind are Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently bought it too! Pocket Card Jockey is like crack-cocaine and possibly my favorite game this year. If you feel up for more Zelda post-Ocarina, A Link Between Worlds is one of the best. Both of those are real cheap. BOXBOY! is something I've heard countless tales of the splendor of, but haven't played yet despite downloading it. And that's cheap too!

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a very very good Animal Crossing game, though isn't great for flights/long sittings.Shin Megami Tensei 4 is a damn good as well, one of my favorites in the series. Very unique way to modernize the exploration for the console. The Pokemon Trading Card Game is on Virtual Console and is still one way to trigger nostalgia euphoria. Speaking of Virtual console, the three fantastic Zelda games that hit the Gameboy: Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening are on it. I'm also a big Monster Hunter fan, so I will always recommend Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, though the new one, Monster Hunter Generations, hits the west mid July.

Lavos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

• +1 of Pocket Card Jockey. It's really addicting and not as complicated as Dan makes it out to be.
    • Majora's Mask is also a really good update. Lots of quality-of-life features like a vastly improved Bomber's Notebook and more time controls.
    • Ghost Trick, Phantom Detective (DS) - Puzzle / Visual Novel from the creators of the Phoenix Wright series. One of the best video game stories I've ever played.
    • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS) - Deep rhythm-game RPG with an absurd number of tracks from Final Fantasy and related series. One of my most played 3DS games.

• Steamworld Dig (3DS eshop) - Digging / exploration game.
    • Steamworld Heist (3DS eshop) - 2D Tactical straegy game that deals with a lot of angles.
    • Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS eshop) - A Best Hits collection of music-themed microgames, just released last week.
    Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    cyclonus_the_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

User Lists: 6

@tds418: If you like Mario games then definitely Super Mario 3D Land, Cave Story 3D (personal fave, and it's pretty tough), Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and if they are able for download which I think they are, Metroid: Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I never thought I would be interested in a horse racing game but I might have to check out Pocket Card Jockey. I did like Animal Crossing on the GC but as you noted @driadon it's probably not great for long sessions so I'll probably hold off on that.

@cyclonus_the_warrior Would you say that 3D Land is the best 3DS Mario game? I missed out on Metroid: Fusion back in the day so I'll definitely pick that up if it's available.

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    cyclonus_the_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

@tds418: When compared to New Super Mario Bros. 2 or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, yeah definitely. I would probably still recommend those two only if you're a serious Mario fan; and yeah Metroid: Fusion has something to offer along with Zero Mission.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ColossalGhost
    LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LeStephan

Shinobi 3ds is absolutely fantastic if you are into 2d shinobi games. Its maybe even better than Revenge of shinobi and it is suuuuuuuuuuper cheap. Got my copy new&sealed for 9 euros. I've found the 3d itself to be horrible though on anything but a new 3ds, dont know about the newXL. But its an awesome game none the less if you are even remotely interested in (oldscool)hard 2d action platformers that require you to master all mechanics available. It also has a separate button for sword and shuriken like the eshop vesion of shinobi III. That and the combos and parry mechanics make the sword way more usefull and fun than in the old games.

Ps: Eshop shinobi III is also really good! And dont wait too long on getting those smt games, at least here in europe those games never become cheaper on handheld and then after a while theyre just out of print. Most the ds ones are still priced as if they are new games. Id recommend SMT: Soul hackers as well, its a little easier than smt4 . Cant go wrong with any smt game though, just look which back of the box looks more interesting to you personally.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

If you have any love for Resident Evil or Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil Revelations and Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance are a must.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Zevvion

Fire Emblem Awakening and the sequel Fire Emblem Fates are fantastic tactics puzzle games. They have very goofy anime stories, but in that they are actually really good and genuinely funny at times. The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds is a very good old school Zelda game and actually my first Zelda since Ocarina of Time I think, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Pokemon games are always great if you're into those types of RPG's. Mostly the newer the better with those.

I have to say I very much disliked Animal Crossing. Make sure that is a game for you before you buy it. If you watch the QL and don't really see how it's fun for that long or are on the fence, don't go for it. I had that and bought it anyway since everyone was talking so highly of it and it was a mistake. Didn't have fun with it at all.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like I'll definitely pick up Fire Emblem and A Link Between Worlds (if I don't have my Zelda fill with Ocarina, which I have never played before).

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Please please buy Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario 3D Land and Fire Emblem. Thanks.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with the other folks who recommended Pocket Card Jockey. Fun and fast game that's also very cheap and totally worth the time and money. Majora's Mask would be good once you complete Ocarina, since it's pretty much a sequel. July 15th is when Monster Hunter Generations releases and it seems to be much more inviting to new comers, plus there are a ton of folks on the site who will be playing so you'll have a gang of Hunters to help.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This questions comes up often enough that maybe we just need a megathread or something.

Anyway play Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Seriosuly, A Link Between Worlds is a joy from start to finish.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Have you looked through any of the other "I just bought a 3DS, looking for game recommendations" topics on the 3DS forum? There are dozens, and most of them end up looking more or less the same.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

I'd suggest starting with Fire Emblem Awakening. It might be cheaper at this point than the newer Fates. Fates requires a bigger time and financial investment since it spread parts of its story throughout three games. If you don't care about the plot, it's not a big deal.

Link Between Worlds is a must get. Good pick there.

I'd recommend the Phoenix Wright series, the Zero Escape series, and the Layton series pretty whole-heartedly.

My biggest suggestion not mentioned here yet is Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. It's the SMT take on Neon Genesis Evangelion. Gameplay is rather unique. It is a psueo SRPG leaning more heavily on the RPG side. You move four demon trainers with two demons each around a grid and then take turns in SMT/Persona style combat. Don't worry about playing the first game in the series. They aren't related, and 2 is just a plain better game IMO.

There are a bunch of DS Castlevania games you could look into, though sadly no 3DS ones.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tds418

@mike: No sorry, I didn't and I probably should have.

That being said thanks for all the suggestions everyone! This thread has given me a lot of games to dig through. Fire Emblem, A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, and Pocket Card Jockey are at the top of my list and then I'll probably try out some of the RPGs (Shin Megami Tensei and Xenoblade). I tried Monster Hunter way back on the PSP and I couldn't get into it but maybe I'll give it another shot when the new one comes out.

One question: are there any Final Fantasy games on the 3DS worth playing?

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only imagine that the only reason no-one's suggested Virtue's Last Reward is because of the crippling save bug. And that IS a good reason. The bug causes your save data to be unusable if you save in certain rooms at certain times, I think.

But if you don't own a Vita (where the superior version lives), maybe get a great room escape puzzle game with a crazy story. Playing its prequel ("999") is not necessary but recommended. Remember to rotate save files!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

A Link Between Worlds

Fire Emblem (either Awakening, or Fates: Birthright)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It doesn't run as well as the Wii version, but if you haven't played Xenoblade yet you absolutely should try that out. Be warned though, game will probably take you 70-80 hours to beat. Beyond that, A Link Between Worlds is probably the best game on the system, and I doubt anything will come out to top that at this point. If you can get past the awkward controls, Kid Icarus is really good. Luigi's Mansion 2 is pretty decent, just runs a little long (I think it's 17 hours long, first LM was only 6 or 7 I believe). If you've never had the chance to try out a Monster Hunter game, you could get MH4U, great game if you want to get on skype and play with others, but I had a really good time with it just playing solo. If you've never played Super Mario 3D World, then Super Mario 3D Land is really good, definitely try that.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

If the New 3DS can play DS games, the ports of Dragon Quest 5 and 6 are very, very good. And if you're looking for Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 holds up pretty well.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dancinginfernal

I've been playing a lot of SMT4 recently, as well as Majora's Mask.

Just note, only play SMT4 if you hate yourself. It is brutally difficult, and keeps those JRPG gameplay tropes (grinding, no autosaves, etc.) going STRONG. The story is definitely worthwhile I'd say though.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies

They also have the first 3 Ace Attorney games up for download on their store! I can never recommend that series enough it's so wonderful.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Robinson

Hotel Dusk is a hard to find, but very worth it DS game. Here is Ryan Davis giving it a rundown back in 2006ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1BcbprTm6o

Star Trek Tactical Assault for DS

New Super Mario Brothers

Chrono Trigger DS (if never played before. be sure to check out the GB dual playthroughs)

Aliens: Infestation is a must

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-aliens-infestation/2300-5037/

Mario & Luigi: inside story (great humour)

Mario Golf 3ds

Any of the Professor Layton games. Pheonix Wright is good too, but some of the puzzle solutions are a bit of a logical jump.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Super Marior 3D Land
    • Legend of Zelda - Link between worlds
    • Fire Emblem: Awakening and if you like that get Fates

After playing Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (which is really my first game in the series) I fell in love with it. The problem is, it isn't for everyone. However there is a demo for MH4U and I think that Monster Hunter: Generations has a demo coming out shortly, if it isn't already out. If you like what the demo has on offer, I would strongly recommend getting one.

I would also recommend the Shin Megami Tensai games, though they are a JRPG through and through. Not only that, they are very difficult.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kirby Triple Deluxe is often overlooked, I was never a big Kirby guy (I like Kirby the character) but Dan seemed to really like it on the bombcast, its really good if you like platformers and its laid back the joy comes from finding the 3-4 sunstones hidden in each level that is where all the fun little puzzles are but its a fun game in its own right.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Kirby Triple Deluxe is often overlooked, I was never a big Kirby guy (I like Kirby the character) but Dan seemed to really like it on the bombcast, its really good if you like platformers and its laid back the joy comes from finding the 3-4 sunstones hidden in each level that is where all the fun little puzzles are but its a fun game in its own right.

Kirby Planet Robobot is even better. Still basically a Kirby game like Triple Deluxe, but with a mech suit.

Robinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

• Infinite Space

a really good rpg set in space (duh) with a neat fighting mechanic where you control a ship/fleet from the bridge. Very good presentation of the situation with good use of both screens

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.